Make a donation

Author Topic: Race fuel or methanol added ?  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Scooby mic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Race fuel or methanol added ?
« on: March 15, 2014, 04:10:07 pm »
Do any of you guys use race fuel or meth added to fuel?
I used these on my last car and method gave great torque and hp hike ie 60/40 increase
Race fuel even more but it's very expensive .
To do this on a scooby it was a ecu swap (syvecs) that could run 8 switchable maps
Depending on fuel and bar used also anti lag and launch control.
So these gti seem to have a clever ecu that has knock detection or auto switch of maps dependant on Ron rating
So can the ecu auto switch with 20% methanol added
Or high Ron race fuel .
Does the ecu if this is possible then add timing or bar pressure?
If anybody can explain who the standard ecu works it'll help me understand what's possible

Offline whitettpet

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Race fuel or methanol added ?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 11:00:55 pm »
Hi I am new to the forum however I know my far share of mapping and i am looking to work with AEM in the near future to develop the AEM infinity.(slightly more superior to syvecs,) for the 2.0 TFSI. I am currently looking at developing a harness with a distributer of theirs.

I have used syvecs in the past and from my knowledge you need to buy a seperate flex fuel sensor, with this it will identify how much the percentage of methanol is in the tank and calculate and make adjustments. The ecu has to be very fast to cope with this. Our ecu is actually just as capable. However the main issue will be to retrofit a sensor like that and also amend our software in order to do this calculation.

My opinion is to buy a water methanol kit with progressive boost and run that it is just as effective. I received a good gain from this alone

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Race fuel or methanol added ?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 08:53:56 am »
The Bosch DI-Motronic is very clever, but the OEM map is designed only for 98 RON motion lotion.  If you put higher octane juice, such as the BP 106 Ultimate, it wont make any difference, as the ECU wont adapt to the higher octane.  Of course, if the knock sensor detects detonation or pre-ignition due to lower than 98 RON, the ECU will retard the timing accordingly.

IMVHO, if you want to run race fuel or methanol, one of the best options would be a remap of the exisiting ECU with switchable maps - such as Revo with the SPS.  If you want to use methanol, or ethanol on a regular basis, be very wary of going over 10% - the fuel system seals were never designed to cope with high alcohol content.

HTH.  :smiley:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~