Make a donation

Author Topic: Stone chip repairs ?  (Read 1847 times)

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
Stone chip repairs ?
« on: September 28, 2013, 01:33:56 pm »
I have a silver ED30 and there are one or two stone chips on it that i would like to try and get rid of . Can this be done without it showing up , they are tiny but i see them every time i clean it , theres one or two chips on the door sill on the drivers side too . Can you fill the holes with paint and rub it down fill it rub it down etc and it will not show at all , i also have one on the roof and you know what that might look like if it wasn't done perfectly .
My Car has only done 21370 miles and will be keeping it , so want to have it perfect eventually .

Any help , hints or links to "How to's" greatly appreciated , also quite willing to pay someone to do it , am in Suffolk , would the Dent master type people be able to do it invisibly . Also my son has a Black GTI and he need some doing too .
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Re: Stone chip repairs ?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 02:33:35 pm »
Fill, wet sand and machine polish BUT only to be carried out by a professional. Scary as hell, putting sand paper your pride and joy! A few threads on this in the a Detailing section. I'd speak to a decent detailer in your area.

Which I only had one or two chips on mine.  :sad1:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Bow

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 05:59:57 pm »
I also have a silver Ed30 and mine got few stone chips. I went to VW approved body shop who said if I can live with it leave it as the colour is a barstewards to match.... Is this true as I have a couple scratches also :-(

Offline Fletch..gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 07:21:13 pm »
Had my door resprayed on my reflex silver gti at vw dealers , it was blended in and you just can't tell and am a fussy man lol .
Also I filled and sanded a couple of chips on my bonnet scary but came up brill and it was all done by hand

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 10:38:12 am »
I had loads of stone chips on the bonnet on my Tornado Red GTI and touched all the chips in, left paint for a few weeks and wet sanded the complete bonnet and finished with a machine polish.Came up an absolute treat and you would have to look very hard to see where it had been repaired.

I suppose non metallic paint is easier to do though.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 12:42:59 pm »
Fill, wet sand and machine polish BUT only to be carried out by a professional. Scary as hell, putting sand paper your pride and joy! A few threads on this in the a Detailing section. I'd speak to a decent detailer in your area.

Which I only had one or two chips on mine.  :sad1:

Why only have it carried out by a professional? With a PDG and some practice on a scrap panel (£10) you can get great results yourself with a bit of practice.

http://www.live2detail.com/showthread.php?2677-Another-Key-Repair-Step-by-Step-Procedure