Make a donation

Author Topic: Good PC forum  (Read 3711 times)

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
Good PC forum
« on: October 09, 2013, 09:20:34 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good PC forum please? I need a new system but can't find a good forum for specification advise

Thanks

Offline ali6n2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
Re: Good PC forum
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 09:39:48 pm »
Try the forum section on tomshardware should find what you need

Offline majinvash

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • Eat, Sleep, Snowboard
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 09:47:44 pm »
What do you want to know?

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 10:00:54 pm »
I've just bought a GoPro 3+ for recording skiing next year but my current PC is over 10 years old and struggles to play HD videos just on youtube! I want to spec a new machine to last me the next ten years, it'll be used for internet browsing, itunes etc but viewing and editing the GoPro footage will be the most taxing task.

Do you have any recommendations for systems or websites I can build a machine on? I'd want to go for i7 processor really

Thanks

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 10:33:21 pm »

I've just bought a GoPro 3+ for recording skiing next year but my current PC is over 10 years old and struggles to play HD videos just on youtube! I want to spec a new machine to last me the next ten years, it'll be used for internet browsing, itunes etc but viewing and editing the GoPro footage will be the most taxing task.

Do you have any recommendations for systems or websites I can build a machine on? I'd want to go for i7 processor really

Thanks

If you are looking to build your own, try Bit-Tech for some ideas. The builds are based on various budgets:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buyers-guide/2013/08/22/pc-hardware-buyer-s-guide-august-2013/1

You might need to buy the magazine for the latest version...

Alternatively Novatech are worth a look as they offer a variety of PC's:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/

Don't rule out an AMD machine, their CPU's will meet your requirements.

Ps Make sure you spec an SSD drive!
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 11:00:09 pm »
Thanks for the advice above!

What will the benefits of an SSD drive? My budget won't stretch for a SSD drive big enough to store everything

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 11:25:56 pm »
What's your budget? I have built 4machines from £500-1200 in the past few month so I'm pretty upto date on tech vs money.

Offline majinvash

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep, Snowboard
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 07:59:41 am »
Hi

For what you are after, an i7 is a waste of money, as is an SSD Drive.

Novatech is a very good option, as are AMD based systems. ( I'm actually the training manager there )

You haven't however mentioned what program you plan to use to edit your footage.

Adobe Premier is what I use, although I have used Final Cut as well.

What you are looking for ideally, "cost vs worth while performance" is an i5 or similar AMD. 8-16GB of Memory and a large storage area.

Premier and most of the editing software mainly use processing power and memory for its performance and although they are helped out by gaming graphics cards, you would be better off fitting a Quadro or Firepro.
But in truth unless you are talking heavy editing, this might also be over kill.

So if you can confirm what software you plan to use and a budget, I can design you a system and Novatech can build if for you.

Mat
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:41:55 am by majinvash »

Offline Rumple

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
  • Das Original.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 09:31:05 am »
Definitely would echo what's been said about AMD processors, Im a network/computer technician by trade so I build quite a few systems weekly and when it comes to bang for buck you just cant beat them.

AMD FX-8350 4GHz Socket AM3+ 8MB Cache - £148

It will chew up and spit out most tasks.

Couple it with a decent gigabyte board, a fair graphics card and 16gb of RAM (1600 minimum)

and your laughing! I'd say £400 is plenty to build a decent spec AMD now days where as you'll need £600ish for the equivalent Intel.

Black 3dr Edition 30 DSG

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 09:51:37 am »
I've been using an over clocked 4Ghz i7 and SSD drive for boot and progs since 2009 and its still very quick... The SSD makes the biggest difference IMO.  They are very affordable now too, use HDD for storage. 

At the time AMD weren't in the same ballpark with performance, haven't bothered looking into it since the build because it just works so well... Touch wood.

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 10:43:58 am »
Thanks for the advice,

Here is the system requirements for the GoPro editing software: http://gopro.com/software-app/gopro-studio#system-requirements

It recommends i7?

I doubt I'll be editing the software heavily, and I'll probably stick to using the GoPro software as no doubt it'll meet my needs (I can't guarantee this though)

I thought the SSD would be a good idea for moving the large files quickly?

Thanks

Offline majinvash

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep, Snowboard
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 12:15:01 pm »
Hi

Its the old story with IT

The more you pay, the better you get. Do you need it, is usually the question.

For what you are after I think an I7 would be over kill unless you are either have the money to spare or are a heavy user.

SSD are fast, yes it would transfer faster using one but when you copy the RAW files off a GoPro and start creating projects with them, they get really big really fast.

If you look at the spec's it also says it will run on a Intel C2D and a 5400 spin hard drive.

So it really comes down to budget.

I would probably go with a customised

http://www.novatech.co.uk/pc/range/novatechblacknta18.html

Have the SSD taken out and replace it with another 2-4TB Harddrive.

The card already supports OpenGL and the rest is more than powerful enough to last you.

Don't forget you need to add in the price of Windows 7 or 8. I would recommend going Pro over Home, it just means later if you start increasing the memory the system can use it.

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 01:08:41 pm »
Thanks for your help MAJINVASH, I really appreciate it!

If there's a saving to be had I wouldn't mind building the system myself, even though I'm not up to date with current specs I can do simple PC building (I can ask the PC builder at work to do the tricky bits like mounting the processor to the motherboard).

On another note, are you a GoPro user yourself? If so do you think one 64GB card will last me for a weeks snowboarding?

George

Offline majinvash

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep, Snowboard
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 01:53:42 pm »
Hi

You will save about £40 with building it yourself.

I have a 16GB card in mine and its plenty.

Your issue will be battery life. In use, you will get maybe 3hrs out of it a day.

With 64GB you will have plenty of space to bore every friend you have silly for months to come after your holiday.

As much fun as you think filming POV snowboarding is.. watching it back... oh my its dull :)

Before you head out, get something like this http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/gopole-reach-gopro-hero . Takes a while to get used to riding with one but makes the films "slightly" more interesting.

Where are you heading out to?

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 02:22:36 pm »
I have been out of the PC components market for sometime now so can't give too much advise but I put a SSD in my aging 4-5 year old PC (which was built it for £1200) last year and what a difference it has made.

I have a 180GB drive for the system and programs and 2 other standard drives for storage. It has really refreshed the PC. I was thinking I needed to upgrade the Processor/MoBo/RAM but the SSD upgrade has meant I won't need to in the near future. Especially as I'm not a hardcore user anymore.

Anyway that's my most recent experience.

I got most of my advice from this forum when I was building it:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/

EDIT:

My spec FYI (copied from my overclockers sig):

Q9550 @ 3.50GHz || Asus P5K Deluxe || Zotac GTX 280
Kingston HyperX 8GB (4x2) || Corsair HX 650W || Lian Li PC-7
Intel 330 180GB || Samsung F1 1TB || Seagate 1.5TB || TRUE 120
X-FI Xtreme Music || Saitek Eclipse 2 || 24" VA Monitor
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:27:26 pm by Kalpsn2000 »
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦