Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG remap - what is changed?  (Read 1478 times)

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
DSG remap - what is changed?
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:42:59 pm »
Toying with a DSG remap, if only to remove the kickdown feature in manual mode. I'm however curious to understand if there are unwanted by-products from, say, a REVO DSG remap.

- Does it work the pump hard (worse consumption / reduced lifespan)?
- Is the rev limiter increased regardless of engine map when in auto and kicked down? (don't really want it any higher on a K03 - runs out of puff)
- Are there any claims of gearbox woes following a DSG remap, which could be attributed to the remap over-stressing the gearbox?

I've had a bit of a nosey around, and the info seems limited. Most people simple saying "great mod", which although pleasing to read, I'd like to understand if there are any cons lurking.

By comparison, with the engine remaps, it's well known boost is increased, fuelling is altered, and base timing is advanced for starters. With a DSG remap the results are discussed, but not the way they are achieved.

All comments welcome.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 11:44:28 pm by alackofspeed »

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: DSG remap - what is changed?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 09:59:35 am »
I've had DSG software on a few of my cars now and Revo DSG software was on the ED30.

I've not noticed any negatives about the maps,, but there are a few things that you really need to ensure....

Ensure the rev limiters are matched by the ECU and DSG maps for the best results. Not a deal breaker but it does make for smoother changes in sport.
Have the same tuner do both ECU and DSG maps as they are often developed to match and it is easier to go back to one dealer, rather than have two tuners argue the toss over whether the ECU or DSG software is at fault and keep blaming each other.

Personally I haven't noticed any difference in fuel consumption and in most applications on the road the DSG will operate as it did before.

You may be able to ask Revo if they will keep your current engine rev limit. I know I can ask for parameter changes to my GIAC DSG software, so they should be adaptable.

There can be DSG woes after mapping, but these are associated with the above issues I've mentioned, notably hanging on the rev limit between gear changes in sport or drive when at full chat.

The only way you are going to know how good a DSG map is is to get one.  :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 11:45:01 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I wonder if there is a "try before you buy" option...........

Offline aarondsg

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 02:43:57 am »
There is some places who do a test map for a short period
Would be interested in testing a dsg one
R-Tech Power Stage 2+ Edition 30 (LC9Z)