Make a donation

Author Topic: Squeal/Sqeak/belt slipping sound  (Read 2805 times)

Offline jakex181

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
Squeal/Sqeak/belt slipping sound
« on: October 18, 2013, 05:52:31 pm »
Ive noticed when accelerating ill get a strange sound much like a belt slipping for a second at around 2k revs, i originally thought it was the belt slipping but today i planted my foot in 6th gear and the sound was still made even with the engine not revving lots which leads me to believe its not the belt slipping? am i right in thinking this? Does anyone know what it could be?

Offline PhilNUK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: Squeal/Sqeak/belt slipping sound
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 07:33:31 pm »
Could it be the alternator pulley? I had a sound like that on my mk4.. The pulley eventually snapped completely and the whole car shut down. I might be wrong! I don't remember it being specific to the revs. Was more a constant squeal noise

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 08:00:58 pm »

Offline jakex181

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 10:37:17 am »
Its not constant, it only happens if i when i accelerate at full throttle, even in a high gear if i push the accelarator to the floor it will still make the noise

Offline jakex181

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 10:47:14 am »
Not a very good video and hard to hear but i think it sounds similar to this and happens aswell when i accelerate.

Underneath the guy says it was a leak in the EVAP system, is this something i can check?

Offline jakex181

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 10:34:05 am »
Any one have any ideas, still doing it :/

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 10:44:57 am »
Have you checked your alternator pulley bud?  It will make a noise under different loads.

Disconnect the battery, remove the engine cover, move the charcoal canister to one side, grab an open ended spanner and pull the tensioner towards the front of the car and place an Allen key through the hole to lock it out. 

Remove the belt and check for wear.  Place a long thin screwdriver into the alternator to stop the blades turning and turn the pulley backwards and forwards, it should lock on way and freewheel the other, if it locks both ways or free wheels both ways then you'll need to replace it, they are about thirty quid and the belt a tenner.

Also, a good idea to spin the idler wheel on the tensioner to see if that is squeaking too, should be silent.

If not those it could be the K03 chirping, some do some dont, most audible when a CAI is fitted.