Make a donation

Author Topic: HID Kit Installation Guide  (Read 6464 times)

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
HID Kit Installation Guide
« on: April 17, 2013, 12:00:12 pm »
So received my HID kit this morning and planning on fitting it this weekend along with my projector headlights.

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/h7-ultra-35w-slim-canbus-hid-xenon-conversion-kit/

Had a quick look at the very basic instructions included and not 100% confident on what I need to do. So looking for some installation guides.

Any decent guides for the Mk5 around?

Seen a few for the mk6 but not quite the same.

Thanks
Kalpesh

EDIT:
Found this and it helps but not much about the wiring and ballast mounting.
http://www.golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82971
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:04:49 pm by Kalpsn2000 »
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline S4nup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: HID Kit Installation Guide
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 12:48:03 pm »
Maybe not related, but I was going to do my hids this weekend. IIRC the ballast on the genuine xenons is mounted underneath the headlamp, is there space there on these headlamps to mount the micro ballasts there?

Offline jaffa

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 44
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90080.0.html
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 01:03:26 pm »
yes there is space on the bottom of each headlight for the ballast to go

Thats where i mounted the ballad on my hella xenon lights and really tidied up the install, i used 3m double sided tape and they have been on for over a year and haven't moved yet

:happy2:

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 12:11:32 am »
Have prepped my headlights for install. Fitted the ballasts underneath and fitted the bulbs.

But wanted to double check regarding the 6 o'clock mod. The wires that run down the bulb, do they have to be at the top or bottom to avoid the shadows?

Currently they are at the bottom.
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline omeydz

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 50
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 12:46:06 am »
Kalps, trial fit the lights before the 6 o clock mod.

The shadows were caused by using wrong bulbs initially so would be worth looking at trying your H7 hid kit before 6 o clock mod and see if theres shadows  :happy2:
Recently back on the forum! Good to be back
Current Rides
Mazda RX8 231bhp ( very different little rocket lol!)
----
SOLD
2011 Golf MK6 1.4 TFSI R20/GTI Hybrid - DSG converted *world first!*
2007 MK5 Golf 1.4 FSI
2007 Golf MK5 GTI DSG
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 09:56:56 am »
Kalps, trial fit the lights before the 6 o clock mod.

The shadows were caused by using wrong bulbs initially so would be worth looking at trying your H7 hid kit before 6 o clock mod and see if theres shadows  :happy2:

Yeah that's what I was planning to do but just wanted to check if the 6 o'clock mod meant bringing the wire to the bottom, I.e. 6 o'clock position.

I did a bit of googling last night and I think I will be fine as my wires are in the 6 o'clock position already.

Thanks Omar, shame about the 2nd group buy, can't wait to get mine fitted today :happy2:

Offline omeydz

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 50
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 10:31:15 am »
Ah right!

Pop up some pics Kalpesh :)

Good luck  :happy2:
Recently back on the forum! Good to be back
Current Rides
Mazda RX8 231bhp ( very different little rocket lol!)
----
SOLD
2011 Golf MK6 1.4 TFSI R20/GTI Hybrid - DSG converted *world first!*
2007 MK5 Golf 1.4 FSI
2007 Golf MK5 GTI DSG
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 05:24:09 pm »

Offline will_15

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 11:12:42 am »
Guys, is anyone running aftermarket xenons and have auto lights enabled, ie the dipped beam comes on off the battery when unlocking the car in low light whatever setting the headlight switch is in? It's semi-frying my ballasts when starting the engine with the xenons already on off the battery.

No problems in the middle of the day when it's light and I unlock then switch the headlights on manually in the cabin once the engine is running.

Thinking I might have to disconnect the light/rain sensor in the rear view mirror? Or pop a fuse out to disable auto lights?

Offline mo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 11:19:06 am »
I just turned my "leaving home" lights off in the mfd. think its under convenience.
2007 Ed30 Superchips Bluefin Stg 1
RNS510 & MDI

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 11:47:45 am »
Guys, is anyone running aftermarket xenons and have auto lights enabled, ie the dipped beam comes on off the battery when unlocking the car in low light whatever setting the headlight switch is in? It's semi-frying my ballasts when starting the engine with the xenons already on off the battery.

No problems in the middle of the day when it's light and I unlock then switch the headlights on manually in the cabin once the engine is running.

Thinking I might have to disconnect the light/rain sensor in the rear view mirror? Or pop a fuse out to disable auto lights?

I had HIDs in my Hella Celis with Autolights and had no problems at all.
Just do not start the car with the HIDs on.  I had no problems. Unlock the car when you're walking into it. Get in. Plug in your iPod or whatever. Check your texts before you head off. Lights off on the switch. Start the car. Back to Auto. Happy done.
Or you can turn off lights on unlock in Vagcom.

Offline will_15

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 12:55:16 pm »

I had HIDs in my Hella Celis with Autolights and had no problems at all.
Just do not start the car with the HIDs on.  I had no problems. Unlock the car when you're walking into it. Get in. Plug in your iPod or whatever. Check your texts before you head off. Lights off on the switch. Start the car. Back to Auto. Happy done.
Or you can turn off lights on unlock in Vagcom.

Thanks, that's working well for now, will change my routine till I can get to VCDS

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 01:04:02 pm »
This is what I do since it fried a ballast. Unlock car walking towards it, lights come on. I get in turn switch to off to start then back to Auto. Obviosuly not during the daytime. I think when cranking the car the voltage drops so they go out and as the car starts it comes back up again causing a spike inside the ballast.