Make a donation

Author Topic: Please be careful...  (Read 2138 times)

Offline cmdrfire

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
Please be careful...
« on: October 21, 2013, 01:25:44 pm »
Although I know everyone on here does drive well, this is just a reminder to please exercise caution especially on residential roads...
Our beloved cat was stuck by a car on Wednesday night. Despite his injuries he was still able to make it home, back inside the house... we did everything we could but unfortunately he didn't make it through the night.
Some guy was driving too quickly late at night, and didn't even realise what he'd done or what hurt he has caused. A little bit slower, and little bit more caution, and the situation could have been very different. Be careful out there - not just for yourself, but for everyone who shares our roads.

N.

Offline cuprajake

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,72567.0.html
Re: Please be careful...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 01:54:38 pm »
While I feel for you. I have two cats myself.

There's no saying the person who hit the cat was speeding.

I found myself in the horrible instance when I hit a cat. At 30mph. I swerved and still clipped it. I stopped and took it to the vets for treatment and pain relief. Sadly it didn't make it either but I like to think atleas it wasn't in pain

Jake
Tornado red ed30 #0728

Offline jbenekeorr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 01:58:10 pm »
It's horrible to lose a pet, both of my cats got run over by people driving too fast through my village. My cats now don't go outside because the road is just too dangerous, it's only so long before it's a kid that runs in the road.

I've had a child fall over trying to walk on the edge of the kerb, she fell right into the road in front of the car - I was able to stop but if I'd been going much faster she would have gone straight under the wheels. Makes you think...

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 04:13:05 pm »
Sorry to hear this Neo.

One of mine was hit by a car quite a few years ago now and as a result I kept them locked in at night. The current resident is always shut in by the time it gets dark much to her displeasure.

Offline Marc-5-GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 05:51:15 pm »
Sorry to hear about the cat..

Though a very good point raised, it's Halloween season... Kids are out in force wearing dark clothing at night trying to scare people... Keep on your toes.
3dr Reflex Silver GTI | BBS VZ | Eibach Sportlines | Cumbria

Offline Itguy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 06:12:55 pm »
That's awful, I feel sorry for you.

I'm finding more and more idiotic cyclists riding at night with no lights wearing black too. Crazy.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 08:20:45 pm »
Sorry to hear mate. My first puppy was hit by a car. Wasn't even a year old. Thankfully he went almost straight away so he didn't suffer.

It is easy to blame the driver, but in this instance it wasn't her fault. Despite my village being residential since the houses were built in the 70s, the street was a national speed limit (!) up until only a few years ago. Therefore she wasn't speeding and it is hard to blame her. In fact I blame myself still for not running out after him fast enough.

It was irresponsible of the driver in your case not to stop though. As you rightly point out it is someone's pet and they become part of your family. You do wonder about some peoples' common decency these days.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 08:27:22 pm by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 12:12:05 am »
It was irresponsible of the driver in your case not to stop though.
Not illegal though. A dog is different however.
'07 Red manual

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 09:57:25 am »
Sad to hear that but might not be the drivers fault though, our cat is a complete loon when it comes to road safety and regardless of how people are driving he has had more than his fair share of narrow escapes. It's a total nightmare when we take our dog for a walk because he comes with us but spends most of the time darting back and forth across the road, never stops, looks or listens!!!!!!
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 11:15:30 am »
Sorry to hear your sad news, our 18month old Cat, sounds similar in that he appears to have no road sense even after a narrow escape about 6 months ago.

As the nights draw in i try keep ours in after dark, but he goes mental, so im usually stood outside in the garden with him for 10-20 mins  :ashamed:

Ive found since we got a cat, that im extra careful and often looking out for them aswell as everything else.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 11:36:14 am »
Really feel for you Neo  :sad1: , it would be like losing one of the family for me. Our ginger Moggie is only just over a year old and luckily has plenty of outside safe territory, but who knows where he goes late at night. Currently he is under "house arrest" after a recent health scare and will be staying in until well after Halloween and bonfire night.

There seems to be an inordinate amount of pussy cats around the areas I pass through on the way to/from work, not to mention foxes, badgers etc......even had two cows in the middle of the road a few times after some idiot left a field gate open.

So, it pays to be extra vigilant for all you guys and gals out there as you simply cannot guess what is around that next country lane bend!

My one recent encounter was coming off a roundabout from and back onto a dual carriageway, accelerated off the roundabout around the corner, straight into a flock of pigeons!!!! Puthers of feathers indicated I'd hit more than one, but the three guys in convoy behind me meant that I wasn't even going as fast as I normally would have been and several more would have been ingrained in my front end!! There must have been 30 of the buggers pecking about in the road. My point being even dual carriageways and motorways have their wildlife hazards.
Golf R gone.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=t62moe59hel67j1a2fq6t23hqg&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 11:43:07 am »
Unfortunately, If your doing 20/30mph on a residential road and moggy decides to play chicken, theres not much you can do really. Its no ones fault.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 01:45:18 pm »
Sorry for the loss, but like others have said you cannot assume anyone was at fault. Someone could have stopped but the cat could have already bolted too. So cannot assume that either. I've thought I hit a cat before, stopped and nothing to be seen.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 02:09:07 pm »
As I said above lock them up at night.

As it's quiet they tend to roam much further than they would during the day and that's when accidents happen.

Offline Joesoap

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • Homeless
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 02:58:41 pm »
Odd topic to have on a car forum  :stupid:
Sorry but I don't like cats, they P*ss and sh*t round my garden carry all sorts that can be passed on to us
Find them sitting on my car (HATE THAT!  :surprised:)
If one runs out in front of me, Yes I will do my best to stop but I will not be having an accident avoiding it, Its either a house cat or a pest if it runs out in front a car.
Dogs need to be on a lead when out, anyone with any sense knows to drive easy round build up places and look ahead for people/kids.
Just my thoughts on this topic.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 10:00:18 pm by Joesoap »
Has to be Grey

Revo,milltek,Bilstein,AP's,Ths mounts,dbilas, Sorted