Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition 30 judder on idle  (Read 5812 times)

Offline Jap4447

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Edition 30 judder on idle
« on: October 22, 2013, 04:39:35 pm »
Recently been trying to resolve the idling problem and cold start issue. Checked everything I could with my knowledge of engines and the help of this forum with no avail. I was having a mess about the other day taking the engine cover off and unclipping the air intake, upon doing so I noticed there was a smallish 10mm hole in the pipe after the MAF. Taped it up pretty well I thought with amalgamating and electrical tape hoping i had finally solved the issue, but still no luck. Does anyone think this was the original problem and I still need a new pipe?

Saintsteve

Re: Edition 30 judder on idle
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 04:50:38 pm »
If you changed your PCV unit and also checked that you haven't got a failing Fuel Injector with VCDS, that's we're I would be looking if you are sure that you don't have any more split pipes  :happy2:

Offline Jap4447

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 05:21:41 pm »
I have blown through the PVC and is showing a good seal. Also I reported this problem to vw and they said they replaced an injector but was still the same after, even though they told me it was sorted. Would this problem be obvious on their diagnostics? I don't have vcds unfortunately  :ashamed:

Offline Jap4447

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 05:27:16 pm »
They currently have the car under warranty, fixing the faulty pipe and the cam follower wear I noticed after an inspection, spoke to them today and said they will wait and see how the idle problem is once the pipe has been replaced. I was sure I did a good job ensuring it was sealed properly. Just know they will give it back telling me nothing is wrong so looking for other answers in advance  :happy2:

Saintsteve

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 06:28:02 pm »
I have blown through the PVC and is showing a good seal. Also I reported this problem to vw and they said they replaced an injector but was still the same after, even though they told me it was sorted. Would this problem be obvious on their diagnostics? I don't have vcds unfortunately  :ashamed:

Lets hope they replaced the correct injector!

VCDS will highlight were your fault is. Live misfire logs will show what each cylinder is doing, I had this very same issue on my Ed30, always seemed to run smoother on idle with the air con running, but that's because the RPM raises by 40rpm to compensate for the extra loading. Now my number 4 injector was replaced, it's smooth as silk now. Also a sign of things were amiss were on cold starting, very lumpy indeed and sounded like it was hunting/misfiring for 1st 60 seconds before smoothing out.

Also might be worth fitting some NGK iridium spark plugs  :happy2:

Offline Jap4447

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 06:47:39 pm »
I bloody hope so! Think I may have to invest on the ross tech. Serviced it recently and used the NGK platinums. Made no difference what so ever. I'm currently running it standard with no maps, this will be something I do in the future after I iron out all the niggles. If they put the new pipe on and try saying it's sorted I will tell them to atleast check the injectors while they have it. Never tried the aircon thing to be quite honest. Thanks for the help though mate.

Offline Jap4447

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 06:01:40 pm »
Located a noise the car has been making coming from the fuel tank, it's like a high pitched whistle/ hum. If this is the lift pump, could it be related to the judder when idling?

Saintsteve

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 07:44:12 pm »
Located a noise the car has been making coming from the fuel tank, it's like a high pitched whistle/ hum. If this is the lift pump, could it be related to the judder when idling?

If you get someone to log your fuel pressures ,then this will help your diagnosis.  :happy2:

Offline Jap4447

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 08:38:39 pm »
Thanks mate.

Offline Jap4447

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 07:53:16 am »
Fuel pressures look ok on idle. Low pressure at 5 bar and high pressure around 50 bar. Checked for misfires and most it counted to was 10 misfires on cylinder 3. Recently changed spark plugs and it was doing the same thing before so I wouldn't think they were the issue. What should my next step be anyone?

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 08:41:28 am »
Your not alone mate. My mk5 is doing exactly the same from cold. Juddering when I drive. If I leave it to run for as little as 30 seconds it's fine. Getting my mate to fault ready or from cold in next few days to see and if I discover anything will let you know. If you do the same we may sort it

Offline cuprajake

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,72567.0.html
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 01:49:46 pm »
they do hold back when cold
Tornado red ed30 #0728

Saintsteve

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 02:06:36 pm »
Sounds like you may have a failing fuel injector. If you have an emmisions check done, and your Hydro carbons are at a high level on idle,then that's where your problem lies. I has the same thing, low miss fires on cyl 4, rubbish on cold start up, would chronically misfire for the 1st 60 seconds from cold, then would improve whist it warmed up, though on live misfire check, it would show a problem on that cylinder. It wouldn't show as an error on VCDS if it was an injector.

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 02:09:11 pm »
Been told today that injectors rarely fail. However they suffer with carbon build up on the intake. It's a long boring job but you have to strip it back cold crank each intake in turn to close them and then scrub and clean each one at a time

Offline Jap4447

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 10:17:28 pm »
Sounds like a tough job stripping everything down to clean them. Don't think I would be confident enough. I don't have any problems unless it's starting up or idling so might just wait for it to get worse to make a warrenty claim with vw.