Make a donation

Author Topic: New s3 vs mk7 gti?  (Read 3529 times)

Offline Itguy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
New s3 vs mk7 gti?
« on: October 23, 2013, 06:15:25 pm »
Hi everyone

I'm starting to look around at what I'm going to have next to replace my daily hack, a Mini Cooper d clubman with outrageous spec.

I'm wanting something with more fun, speed, refinement and feel good factor. Plus I want dsg too.

Over the last two days I've driven a new s3 sportback 300hp manual and a 3d mk7 gti manual (not performance pack).

Had decent drives in both, 2hrs in each and really managed to get a good feel for both.

First thoughts
S3 positives - super quiet ride, no wind noise, great engine noise, very rapid progress, fantastic build, incredible economy (25 when thrashing and 41.5 when driving normally), planted feeling
S3 negatives - cost, slightly dead feeling steering, handling not grin inducing as so well planted, slightly understated looks

Gti positives - felt light and nimble when pushing on inducing grin, cheaper, engine revved quicker / felt more eager (smaller turbo maybe?), engine noise good
Gti negatives - don't like the big shiny black center console at all, didn't feel premium compared to the s3 for similar money when specd. Front end a bit loose when accelerating hard (performance pack could sort this?). Mpg worse than s3 - 23 on a blast then 35.7 when taking it easy.

So in a nutshell, I'm lost now.

I want the s3 but I want it to have the 10/10th light, nimble exciting feel of the gti or I want the gti with the s3 interior to get away from the hateful piano shiny black everywhere.

Anyone else driven either of these yet and have any views??

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
Re: New s3 vs mk7 gti?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 07:07:53 pm »
I was torn between the Mk7 GTI with performance pack or the S3. So I chose an M135i.  :grin:

Offline Jonneh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 07:12:43 pm »
I've driven a Mk7 GTI with performance pack and one without and its worth every penny! Yes it's only 10bhp but the brakes and the LSD are worth the money alone! It feels excellent at all speeds, I was going to buy one but I couldn't deal with a 6 month wait!

Need to see what the new S3 is like but the Golf is always going to look better...
Passat R36 - Corrado VR6 - Mk2 Golf GTI 8v

Offline Itguy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:34:49 pm »
Interesting.

Does anyone know what the key engine differences are between the S3 and mk7 gti/pp?

Bigger turbo / intercooler?

I'm assuming that the extra pp 10bhp is just mapping of the same standard 220hp engine?

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 12:22:10 am »
Yip I'm not a fan of the centre consol in my mk7 either. I've also found the driving position to be a lot more off centre than the mk5 aswel and my knee always hits the hard plastic of the centre consol which I find uncomfortable. Also I hate the electronic handbrake !
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 12:29:32 am »
Yip I'm not a fan of the centre consol in my mk7 either. I've also found the driving position to be a lot more off centre than the mk5 aswel and my knee always hits the hard plastic of the centre consol which I find uncomfortable. Also I hate the electronic handbrake !

I've not driven the Mk7, but from the photos online it seems massively off centre for a FWD motor, something more akin to a 1 series beema...

Offline Itguy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 07:21:20 am »
Didn't notice the offset to be honest but have had a lot of bmws before so maybe I'm just conditioned to it.

I also forgot to mention that I found the manual gearbox in both cars not very good at all. The clutch and gear lever action is very light in both but the actual gear change really didn't like to be rushed. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to be a prat but the gearbox in my mini feels much more positive. More than a few times I missed gear changes on the test drive - mostly 3rd to 4th and 3rd to 2nd - hitting the gate. Slowing down the gear change action seemed to help but caused frustration.

Offline abidGTD

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 01:35:55 am »
Go for an rs3 lol

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 05:08:01 pm »
Go for an rs3 lol

Gets my vote :happy2:

I felt underwhelmed when I drove the new S3 when my RS was having its service  :smiley:
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 06:22:00 pm »
Wait for a MKVII Golf R.  :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 07:24:36 pm »
If you can afford the s3 I'd take that every day of the week. Just feels a classier car, build and interior quality is a class above the golf imo

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 12:49:59 am »
Yip I'd say it's the worst offset I've ever driven ! To be fair thought this is the only car I've ever noticed an offset in, but I did notice it instantly.
Got to say apart from the roomy interior, decent handeling, steering and good mpg I'm not a fan of much else on this car.

I've just completed an 8 hour drive and my body feels beat up - not a comfortable distance traveler either in base spec anyway
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN