Make a donation

Author Topic: VAG Brake Pads  (Read 2086 times)

Offline zayd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
VAG Brake Pads
« on: October 24, 2013, 06:07:31 pm »
I just bought a whole heap of parts including rear brake pads from TPS and I'm a bit surprised to learn that they're made in India.  It's not where they're made that's the issue, but I can't even see a manufacturers ID anywhere, leading me to believe that they're really cheap and nasty!

I normally get my parts from Euro Car Parts or a similar motor factors, sourcing only OEM quality parts.  I normally only purchased Pagid discs and pads for my previous MK4 Golf, so naturally I perceived the VAG pads would be made by one of the German companies.  Maybe, I should've gone to Euro Car Parts after all!

Offline Jonathon555

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: VAG Brake Pads
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 06:16:53 pm »
I just bought a whole heap of parts including rear brake pads from TPS and I'm a bit surprised to learn that they're made in India.  It's not where they're made that's the issue, but I can't even see a manufacturers ID anywhere, leading me to believe that they're really cheap and nasty!

I normally get my parts from Euro Car Parts or a similar motor factors, sourcing only OEM quality parts.  I normally only purchased Pagid discs and pads for my previous MK4 Golf, so naturally I perceived the VAG pads would be made by one of the German companies.  Maybe, I should've gone to Euro Car Parts after all!

Vag pads i would guess would not be no name speacials are they in a vag box ??? Ate are oem aren,t they ?

My new rears were pagid or bosch are ok for cheap money

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 06:47:22 pm »
Didn't VAG bring out an Economy range...

You can grab the ATE's from EuroCP for about £55 delivered on offer. :happy2:

Offline zayd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 10:50:37 pm »
I think they were indeed the economy range, as they only cost me £17.00  :surprised:  

I didn't ask for a cheaper pad and was just given these, which I bought thinking there was just one standard version they did.  I'm not sure how much braking the rears do on these cars, but maybe I should return them and get something a little better quality or do you think these will do the job?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 11:04:42 pm by zayd »

Offline zayd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 11:07:48 pm »
I've managed to find a bit more information about this so called economy range, finding the following description on a website about these particular pads.  Not sure how true the statement is, but it does make sense on the face of it.

THIS ITEM IS PART OF THE VOLKSWAGEN GROUP ECONOMY RANGE, THIS RANGE HAS BEEN DESIGNED FOR MODELS 5 YEARS OLD AND OLDER. THE RANGE OFFERS THE SAME VOLKSWAGEN GROUP QUALITY AND HIGH STANDARDS WHILST OFFERING GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 11:12:28 pm »
What power is the car at?  If standard or Stage 1 K03 I wouldn't worry too much about the rear pads, they are good for balance of the fronts and only do about 15% of the braking force (if you had R32 stoppers up front or better, then it'd warrant a better setup at the rear...) ... spend what you saved on a fluid change, you'll notice that much more imho. :happy2:

Offline zayd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 12:13:04 am »
What power is the car at?  If standard or Stage 1 K03 I wouldn't worry too much about the rear pads, they are good for balance of the fronts and only do about 15% of the braking force (if you had R32 stoppers up front or better, then it'd warrant a better setup at the rear...) ... spend what you saved on a fluid change, you'll notice that much more imho. :happy2:

Its just a standard car, no mods as yet :evilgrin:  On Monday, I'm having a major service (plugs, oil filter, fuel filter, pollen filter), brake fluid change, DSG oil service, cambelt kit including water pump and thermostat and a partridge in a pear tree!

I don't need to let your imagination loose to conjure up a wholesome cash figure for that little lot.  I've had the car about 5 weeks and it has a full VW service history, but the cambelt wasn't done due to the low mileage and on an 8 year old car it could be very dry and crispy by now. 

Very little is my trust of main dealers and what they actually do and recommend to the customer, I've decided to just start my ownership with a proper baptism of all the service trimmings to give the girl a proper start in life.

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 12:23:00 am »
Nice way to think of it bud!^ :happy2:

Offline zayd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 12:50:14 am »
I just can't get over how much more refined the MK5 is over my old Mk4 GTI!

Offline bm_99

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 07:36:27 pm »
Sorry for hijacking ur thread OP but im in the same boat really

Need to get my 06 plate GT TDI fully services and will probably do it myself (at mates garage just in case i get stuck lol)

Looking at the Euro car parts site and confused like anything

im currently looking at Eicher pads and discs as i used them on my previous car with no issues

Also a mate of mine who used to work at euros said he preferred eicher to pagid even tho eicher were cheaper

Then theres the questions of all the other stuff. there normally only £3-4 difference so hard to compare

Offline zayd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 07:55:42 pm »
Pagid are a superior brand in quality to Eicher.  Pagid discs even come painted to prevent them rusting.