Make a donation

Author Topic: Poor MPG theory doesnt match actual  (Read 4552 times)

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: Poor MPG theory doesnt match actual
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 05:51:38 pm »
I get around 36-38 on longer more chilled out drives.
Around 450 to a tank seems quite healthy to me.

Show off! :grin:

I'm lucky to see over 300 :sad1:
Golf R gone.

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 12
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 08:07:31 pm »

Show off! :grin:

I'm lucky to see over 300 :sad1:

Haha, I get around that too, but like I said 65mph on cruise. Maybe just slow down every now and then? :p

MK5 Golf GTi 197BHP Tornado Red

Offline GTI-Pirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 08:42:42 pm »
387miles when i filled up earlier.

31 miles to work, about 80-90% motorway with the cruise set just under 70.
I have just started a new job as a consultant and can claim the miliage, hence driving like a pansy! Higher economy = more value.

USUALLY WASTED AT THE WEEKENDS!  It is a GTI!  :evilgrin:

2017 Audi S4

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 09:37:39 pm »
just an observation, but i get better fuel mileage with V-Power or Momentum than the cheap stuff. i still don't get mega miles though. about 35mpg is par for the course and i can expect 440mi out of a full tank over long distances.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Leigh200sx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 05:27:39 am »
Wish mine did 30mpg... I'm sure there is something wrong with It, I've had a Leon Cupra r running 270 Bhp and that was really really good... My gti is doing around 24mpg on the clock and over a long run maybe 30mpg

Have you checked the diverter valve?

My car was getting crap MPG before I replaced the torn one

Yes it's just been replaced along with fuel pump cam follower and a full service with spark plugs ... It's really really bad on fuel :-( very disappointed with it.. I didn't buy the car for maximum mpg as I also have a mk5 golf gt Tdi but I never expected this shocking mpg. I'm 36 years old with 2 children, I drive extremely normal and currently showing 24.2mpg

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 05:48:00 am »
I would expect to see that sort of MPG for constant town driving or spirited.

What sort of MPG are you getting from the TDI?

I've got a Stage 1.5 with around 120k miles and can get 40 MPG on a run without much effort... Are you using decent fuel? VPower/ Tesco 99.?

Has the car been scanned?  Perhaps theres a fuelling issue.  Or MAF problem... ...

Offline Leigh200sx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Poor MPG theory doesnt match actually
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 06:21:55 am »

I've got a Stage 1.5 with around 120k miles and can get 40 MPG on a run without much effort... Are you using decent fuel? VPower/ Tesco 99.?

Has the car been scanned?  Perhaps theres a fuelling issue.  Or MAF problem... ...

Yes scanned and nothing ?? The gt Tdi is doing 44 mpg and that's town driving with a commute of 12 miles round trip.. As for fuel I only ever use she'll v power or tesco momentum.. I'm putting fuel in it ever 2 weeks and at around £55 at the last check I'm sure I had done less than 200 miles.. All though is can't be sure exactly how many miles I did due to having a new battery fitted during that time and resetting the trip.. I'm monitoring it now and will report back soon.. The car is a 1 previous owner with fvwsh and just showin 100,000 miles

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
Re: Poor MPG theory doesnt match actually
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 09:15:01 pm »

Yes scanned and nothing ?? The gt Tdi is doing 44 mpg and that's town driving with a commute of 12 miles round trip.. As for fuel I only ever use she'll v power or tesco momentum.. I'm putting fuel in it ever 2 weeks and at around £55 at the last check I'm sure I had done less than 200 miles.. All though is can't be sure exactly how many miles I did due to having a new battery fitted during that time and resetting the trip.. I'm monitoring it now and will report back soon.. The car is a 1 previous owner with fvwsh and just showin 100,000 miles

What does your computer show after a 60 to 70 MPH run on an A road or dual carriageway? I get 36 to 38 mpg every time out of mine , 24mpg sounds really low tbh , I get more than that around town!
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Leigh200sx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 09:48:12 pm »
I went for a run it tonight and reset the average mpg, I sat at 75mph on cruise control and if went up to 31.3mpg it's now dropped down to 28.6mpg and I assume it will continue to drop... I may take to the garage that serviced 2 weeks ago and ask them but the problem is due to me only owning the car for a few days before it went in I can't do a before and after comparison

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 12
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 10:27:34 am »
I went for a run it tonight and reset the average mpg, I sat at 75mph on cruise control and if went up to 31.3mpg it's now dropped down to 28.6mpg and I assume it will continue to drop... I may take to the garage that serviced 2 weeks ago and ask them but the problem is due to me only owning the car for a few days before it went in I can't do a before and after comparison

For 75mph ~30mpg is about right. Try doing the same run again, but set cruise at 65mph.

MK5 Golf GTi 197BHP Tornado Red

Offline Leigh200sx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 10:50:03 am »

For 75mph ~30mpg is about right. Try doing the same run again, but set cruise at 65mph.

Driving to work today and it's now gone back to a usual low 24.2 mpg... Surely there is something wrong ?? Il have to look into next week

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 10:56:21 am »
What's the journey to work like?  Does the car get up to temp, is there a lot of stop start traffic... most 200+bhp petrol cars will be doing low/mid 20's in traffic and around town.

Have you tested the PCV?  What gap are the plugs at, are they the correct plugs? Are the coilpacks in good condition? Is the cam follower in good condition?  Are the tyres at correct pressures? Is a brake binding?

Offline Leigh200sx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 12:36:12 pm »
What's the journey to work like?  Does the car get up to temp, is there a lot of stop start traffic... most 200+bhp petrol cars will be doing low/mid 20's in traffic and around town.

Have you tested the PCV?  What gap are the plugs at, are they the correct plugs? Are the coilpacks in good condition? Is the cam follower in good condition?  Are the tyres at correct pressures? Is a brake binding?

The drive to work is 5.7 miles and only 2 roads a 30mph through the village then onto a 60mph road.. No stop starts and no traffic at all 5.20am.. Cam follower is new 2 weeks ago along with full service, new iridium plugs ,rev g diverter valve, 

Offline trs888

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 07:06:08 pm »

wow, i only get that if I'm doing ALL motorway though do set cruise to 80 tho (i know its not actually 80)

i do a mix of 70% city driving and 30% motorway tho. get about 28ish MPG which i think is ok, (about 300 miles to a tank)
didn't buy the car to be uber economical tho! else id have got a GT instead!  :happy2:

Offline Leigh200sx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 07:31:03 pm »

wow, i only get that if I'm doing ALL motorway though do set cruise to 80 tho (i know its not actually 80)

i do a mix of 70% city driving and 30% motorway tho. get about 28ish MPG which i think is ok, (about 300 miles to a tank)
didn't buy the car to be uber economical tho! else id have got a GT instead!  :happy2:

I didn't buy the car for mpg at all as I also have a gt Tdi... But mine seems a lot lower than my Leon Cupra r 225 which as a lot faster and more economical