Make a donation

Author Topic: Just had an interior fire caused by an electrical short...... VW's reply sucks!!  (Read 12032 times)

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
Went back to my parents place this evening, reconnected the battery. Dad Started the car to move it so we could try and get into it to repair the earth - now my dash looks like a Christmas tree full of lights!!!

I need some help - air bag warning lamp & air bag fault, plus the passengers side airbag light flashes on the dash under the hazard warning light. I've got other lights on the dash too!!

My glovebox is out - it has the airbag off switch in there is unplugged when it was started.

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Just requires a few items reset because of the battery disconnection.

In a safe to do situation.Drive the car slowly turning the steering wheel fully left the right and drive straight ahead and it should solve quite a few of them.

Next would require VCDS  cancel the air bag one.

So do your repair then carry out the above (cause if you disconnect the battery you will get various faults).

Offline golfman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 33
  • If your not first your last!!!
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69645.0.html
Turn the wheel all the way to the left for 5 seconds then all the way to the right for 5 seconds then all the way to the left again and then straighten the wheel and drive in a straight line and all the lights apart from the airbag light should go out!!!

because you reconnected the battery with the airbag unplugged on the glovebox it will need clearing with vcds or vas
scott
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:22:46 pm by golfman »

Modded The Way I Like It!!!!!!
Vag-com Hex+Can in scotland
I Hate Timewasters...

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Ok, I'm not even going to re use that earth strap - I don't trust it now! I've got a massive chunk of 4 gauge amp powercable with 2 o-rings at each and an a huge bolt to connect it to the actual dashboard metal bracket.

Everyone thing that should be meaty enough??

Offline Edition_slim

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
That should be fine but I'd try and find out the initial problem.
If it was a missed recall then get vw to sort it all out.

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
Was the original connection slack? Cause the auxiliary heater may have a short circuit!

Bigger is better but it makes it more difficult to work with.

The Felix straps fitted on the old minis would of been easier to deal with.

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Braided-Ground-Strap-Caps/dp/B001JT7DHE

Just make sure every electrical connection is sound  :happy2:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:44:27 pm by doylebros »

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
The car went into to have its key coded and they did come out and said there was a few recalls to do on it.

Took a pic of the recall stickers too:-

Code:- 24N8 & 2x 87B4

The cable seems to have snapped at the top of the connector. The nut wasn't loose. I had to get a socket set to undo it.

Nut is quite discoloured!!

I'll be dropping into vw on Monday to discuss!!

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
Do a bit digging on Google to help your cause! :happy2:

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You

Offline doylebros

• Thank You

Looks like you've been very lucky!  :surprised:

I find it's very rare the dealers don't pick up on this type of problem cause 99% of the time it's all due to under specifying the cabling and points of contact and show up early in the vehicles life.

Re- works keep them in business with there biggest customer being there Marque supplier with all those faults we shouldn't have.

Not many mkv's with auxiliary heaters more common in the Audis.

:happy2:

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
It was in the main dealers last year to get a replacement key coded - they did say a couple of recalls came up against it. but they said they had done them all.

Not sure where i stand with this & VW's recalls.

but i've just bought 2x 22m earth straps from halfords, and im going to put both earth straps on from that threaded bolt onto the metal dashboard frame
to spread out the earth and upgrade the cables.

I'll get it all put back together on wednesday and get my local guy to clear the airbag codes.

:driver:

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Just found this on Google:-

Recall number 87B4 has been done twice on my car - once at a previous dealer and once when i took it in! This excert from VW's own site!

Jetta
Model Year 2007 - 2008
Campaign 87B4 - Heating element of additional air heater

On Jetta vehicles of a limited production period the earth cable of the electric heating element of the additional air heater may not be correctly attached. An incorrectly attached earth cable can lead to an overheating of the heating element and in the most unfavourable case to a vehicle fire.

For safety reasons a check of your vehicle is necessary. The check of the earth cable contact only takes a few minutes. Check and repair are, of course, free of charge to you.

Please contact your nearest Volkswagen Dealer to make an appointment.

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Flaming Nora!

Can someone explain what models have aux heaters - dont even no what one is tbf!
I've smelt 'hot' from my car GTTDI on occasions but on inspection noticed no ill effect :\

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Flaming Nora!

Errrrr, sorry bad choice of literature :/

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
most UK Diesel 2.0 Mk5 chassis cars (Eos, Jetta, Golf, Golf Estates) have it fitted as std! They only work when the temp drops below 4 on the dash & you turn the heating above 22.

The recall only affects some years of car - the nut isnt torqued correctly (which is what has look like has happened with mine!) or the cable is damaged. the earth cable is pretty small and it has to handle to earth for a unit that runs at 200W!!!

Pop off your side trim on the centre console in the passengers side foot well - check the brown cable isnt discoloured, melted or the nut is loose.
This is what you should see:-

The threaded section you can see is where the earth should connect - just above the red/black cable

Also if its been in for a recall there should be a sticker under the boot floor carpet with the dealers stamp that did the recall and the number "87B4"

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:16:35 pm by Polo6n1600i »