Make a donation

Author Topic: Just had an interior fire caused by an electrical short...... VW's reply sucks!!  (Read 12028 times)

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
I have no 100w fuses under the bonnet. 80w, 200w & 40w only

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Is Fuse 11 under the bonnet the aux heater control unit fuse??  :stupid:

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
So waiting for VW to call me tomorrow - I got a call from local dealer asking me not to drive it to the. For fear of my safety driving the car through with no airbags, and the faulty aux heater circuit.

The are seeing if VW will foot the bill to have the car recovered to them. I've tried RAC, the won't do it as I don't have that kind of cover!!

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Send them a copy of the VOSA link and the photos of the recall labels to help them remember who said they've repaired it!

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Already done that! Recall procedure carried out in 2008, then rechecked in 2012.

Going to remove the drivers side centre console cover & remove the power cable to the aux heater. Also going to disconnect the 80a fuse under the bonnet. Looks like mine maybe in position 6 instead of 5!!

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Car now at main dealers.

Technician that looked at the car had to say he didn't know!!

I'll keep you all posted on the outcome!!

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
VW dealers have advised that neither them (who checked the recall in Oct 2012!), nor VW themselves have no responsibility for this issue. Plus the dealers said "I'm not a valued customer & we wouldn't offer you any discount - VW feel it's my own fault as the recall has already been performed & also some parts of the car are not standard fitment, fir example your radio is non-standard"

Repair bill as quoted £808. Which I have to pay myself if I want the Aux heater loom replaced (£232 for loom + 6 hrs labour!!)

However I have removed the main power supply fuse (80amp) is there any reason that I can't just just leave it disconnected and be done with it??

Offline john a

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 11
    • The Veneers Cover Band
If they actually said, "you're not a valued customer" that would be shared on as many publicly viewable social media feeds and a conversation with VWUK.

Whether it's right or wrong, that's not the best thing to say to win customers.

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
you don't have to fix, just keep the fuse out

time to name and shame this dealer
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
They way he actually said it was "you're not a valued customer of ours - the car wasn't bought here, you dont bring it here for servicing - I see no reason to offer you anything towards the repairs."

I think maybe he does realise I'm on first name terms with the parts staff - and have previously spent many thousands of pounds on parts there for various projects.

As for a bit of bad publicity - I have a very good friend who writes as journalist for several car magazines. I'm sure he'd love to get his teeth into a major issue like this!!

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Had a chat with one of my friends in parts who gave me part numbers & prices.

Housing - 1K0972723 -£2.91
Heater element - 1K0963235F - £146.75 (mine is end in "E" which has been superseded)
Wiring loom harness - 1K2971478 - £44.26

Which local stealers want £808 for the above parts & labour!!!
Dealer told politely to "jog on!" - collected the car today. Rebuilding tonight. I'll get codes for airbag cleared tomorrow morning.

Then decide what I'm going to do later. Fuse is removed, so no power to circuit anyway!!

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Finally got a call from VW customer care! I'll be calling them tomorrow!

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
Ask them if they monitor and record all calls to customers (cause you seem to have been given the short end of the stick to me) as they've not been very pro customer in such a dangerous mater in my eyes.

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
I'll put it this way - If it had been Joe Public who has absolutely no car knowledge at all and didnt realise what the smell was, that could potentially have been a servious fire - or what would have happened if the car had gone on fire while travelling at 70mph on the motorway and the fire cause a fatal crash.

Thankfully I knew how to put it out and isolate the section of damaged loom. The Service manager at the local stealers was a joke! Ok so the Jetta wasnt bought there and I dont get it serviced there, because, frankly - I dont trust them - Its my car and I'll take it where I want.

This is a "STD" fitment part to this car - which is badly designed and isnt fit for the purpose it was designed for - VW themselves know its a potential fire risk! It says so on the VOSA website!

The new loom is £44+VAT from VW - I'd settle for that. But the local dealers wanted me to replace the heater unit itself and all the plastic trim around it resulting in an £808 bill that they wont offer any help on as i'm "not a valued customer!" - not sure how that works as my parts account has seen over £8000 worth of parts go through it and I've bought 2 cars from them?? maybe you have to give the sales staff hand jobs to be truely "valued"??

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
Funny way for them to run a business - reading your last post I think you've been an excellent customer of VW.

THERE MUST BE A WAY TO GET SATISFACTION!

Come on guys someone must know how to squeeze that dealership to help a fellow member? :mad: