Make a donation

Author Topic: Water in drivers footwell only  (Read 6099 times)

Offline micaerin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Water in drivers footwell only
« on: November 04, 2013, 07:16:09 pm »
Not had this issue for a long time, but over the last few days (and lots of rain) under my drivers side floor mat its soaked like a sponge! the mat on top is dry and all around seems dry. can't be coming up from underneath as its only when car is parked. Has anybody got any ideas.
Thanks in advance

2007 GTI DSG, Xenon's, Armrest 6 Disc ,Rear Parking Sensors,Sunroof,Lux Pack,Cruise,Electric drivers seat,MFSW,RNS 510,Miltek Cat Back.

Offline Degudodger

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
Re: Water in drivers footwell only
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 07:40:55 pm »
Check the large rubber grommet where the wiring loom enters the shell from the door. Failing that, the door seal.
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Saintsteve

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 07:57:03 pm »
Sunroof drain?? If you have one of course

Offline micaerin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 08:49:57 pm »
Sunroof drain?? If you have one of course
i have a sunroof, what do you mean by drain? i did feel all around the sunroof and its dry?

2007 GTI DSG, Xenon's, Armrest 6 Disc ,Rear Parking Sensors,Sunroof,Lux Pack,Cruise,Electric drivers seat,MFSW,RNS 510,Miltek Cat Back.

Offline micaerin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 08:50:51 pm »
Check the large rubber grommet where the wiring loom enters the shell from the door. Failing that, the door seal.
the door seal seems fine all the way round, but i will check the rubber grommet.
Thanks

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 09:58:19 pm »
There is a drain down each A-pillar...when it gets plugged, water finds another way down due to gravity other than out the end of the pillar drain hose. Here in the US there was an issue with the end of that hose and there was an open campaign for us to come in to have the end of the hose clipped off because it was too long and getting pinched somewhere causing the same issue you are having.
You can clear the hose yourself...open the moonroof and locate a small hole just above the A-pillar...run a length of small cable or solid wire down it as far as you can.
A good way to test if it is the problem to begin with is carefully pour some water into the space between the roof and the liner and see if it is draining down the pillar on the side where the water is pooling into the floor.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:00:37 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline micaerin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 11:05:45 pm »
Thanks for the reply i will give this a go as soon as i find something to poke down the hole, what sort of length am i looking at? and where is the other end of the drain pipe where it should discharge the water?

Offline Chrismeardon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 11:58:45 pm »
If you know anyone with an air compressor (mechanic,tyre fitting bay) a quick shot of air should clear any debris. Saves you hunting for an extra long pipe cleaner!

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 01:50:16 am »
Thanks for the reply i will give this a go as soon as i find something to poke down the hole, what sort of length am i looking at? and where is the other end of the drain pipe where it should discharge the water?
Well...from the top to the rocker panel...if you can get it to pass completely through. But usually no more than a 2 or 3 feet are needed. I use a steel cable that is 3/32" dia. and I wrapped a tiny bit of Gorilla, duct, tape around the end of it. An air compressor can, in some cases, make it worse as there is often a bit of hose that connects the moonroof pan to a tube in the pillar...if plugged, the air pressure can cause the hose to dislodge from the tube if the air nozzle is pressed into the outlet hole too hard.

The water should drain out at the front of the rocker panel.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:54:31 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline micaerin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 03:47:01 pm »
Well guys I've used a piece of wire to try and clear drain pipes, i think it has worked as when i now pour water into the drain holes i can see water trickling out under the car just behind front wheel. Fingers crossed, thanks for all the advice  :happy2:

Saintsteve

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 06:38:59 pm »
Well guys I've used a piece of wire to try and clear drain pipes, i think it has worked as when i now pour water into the drain holes i can see water trickling out under the car just behind front wheel. Fingers crossed, thanks for all the advice  :happy2:

No problem :happy2:

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 03:10:16 am »
YEP!  :drinking: