Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf GTI Remap Prep  (Read 1475 times)

Offline davieo_04

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Golf GTI Remap Prep
« on: November 07, 2013, 05:59:37 pm »
Hi all,

I'm hoping to get my car mapped in the coming weeks and was wanting some advice on some prep before heading to get the work done. When I got the car I was convinced some times it wasn't making full boost as it felt slightly slower some times. I replaced the DV to a Rev G hoping I would find a tear on the original one, however there was a Rev D in it already and the new DV didn't make any difference. Im not entirely sure if its down on power or maybe I'm just expecting to much but I just wanted to know is there anything else worth checking before I go for a remap. I'm also noticing im having problems trying to get near 30mpg on a 15mile run to work which is fairly flowing traffic with some motorway action. Could this be related? I do not have Vagcom so I cannot check out stuff that I would like to before the map!

any advice is much appreciated

cheers :happy2:

D

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
Re: Re: Golf GTI Remap Prep
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 06:06:12 pm »
Im in the exact same boat as you dude.

Bought my gti a week ago and feel that my mk4 gti was a bit more faster. I hope its a split in my DV and that a rev g will fix it.

I get around 20mpg on a small trip to work. On my tdi I would get around 30mpg on the same trip.

If you are taking it to a reputable tuner,  they will check your car before mapping it and could help you finding out if there's any problems in your cars performance.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Re: Golf GTI Remap Prep
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 06:14:19 pm »
Check/change your Coilpacks, they may be the cause. Before you get your car mapped I'd change the Cam Follower if its not been done, get the latest Revision PCV (IIRC is N) and run your car on 99RON. As mentioned a good, reputable tuner will give your car a health check before proceeding with a map.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline davieo_04

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 09:20:23 pm »
Cheers lads, I think the coil packs have been replaced under warranty, I seen a receipt for it in the service history so I just presumed all four had been changed!? Is there any typical symptoms with this? And how do I check them?
As for the PCV I done the check on the thread on here by pulling the dipstick out and it run slightly lumpy, so I presumed it was ok!
The Cam Follower has been penciled in for the next service aswell. Maybe I should just hang fire before I go to the rollers!

Thanks for all the help

Offline davieo_04

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 05:13:17 pm »
Had another look at the car at the weekend checked the plugs and check the PCV is operating as well at the weekend. Everything seems good so gona go ahead with the remap now,

Just for a feeler what kind of Mpg is everyone getting? I was doing a 70mile run yesterday on the motorway and struggled to get 30mpg... Does this seem a bit low? I wasn't raking at any stage just set the cruise and motored away!

Offline joelee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 05:52:10 pm »
I am struggling to get over 27 at the moment how do I check the dv is working correct. I am running a stage 1 as well

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 06:05:54 pm »
^^^^ You'll need to take it out and have a look at the diaphragm (assuming its an older Revision) to see if there any splits it in.

If you have a K03 GTI you may as well get a Revison G and change it anyway as its a PITA to get to. If you've an Eddy/Pirelli, open the bonnet, remove DV (right at the front top) and check.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline joelee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 06:40:58 pm »
How do I know what it is I:e ko3 etc

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Offline davieo_04

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 07:24:23 pm »
If it's a standard gti it will be a ko3. If you have access to a pit or a lift it makes life very easy!  And as mentioned for the price of the part just buy one and have it sitting ready when you pull the old one out!

The only thing I haven't checked and don't know how to without vagcom is the n75. Was told it could be related to the problem I mentioned in the original post! Any nice chaps with vagcom in Northern Ireland want to plug my car in?.. Craic and beer can be provided