Make a donation

Author Topic: How much damage?  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Parmo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • I'm a dirty thief
    • Email
How much damage?
« on: November 06, 2013, 10:08:39 am »
Well I did say my mk5 GTI issue was fixed its a 08 DSG fully loaded minus the xenons and all factory fitted and only done just over 40k
As I have mentioned on here previously it has had an issue with oil consumption, and after being in for two weeks I have just got it back to be told that a new oil filter housing has been replaced as a leak from it appeared on acceleration but nothing on idle great problem solved.

Or not

So within 48 hours of it being back I went out and drove 30 mile plus no warning lights on

But as I returned home I noticed a trail of oil that could only have been from when I reversed off the drive earlier in the day I left the car on my drive and a few minutes later moved it off my drive as mine slopes

A small pool of oil was present

On a flat surface yet again a small oil pool but when I checked the dip stick it was bone dry.

Rang the dealer it went away on a truck yesterday I went with it the service manager face was a picture when he said the drip tray was covered in oil and there's oil

What work would you want ?

Engine been run with dip stick bone dry
Little oil in the sump will it have damaged the turbo?

What else would need replacing?

I'm lucky a put a couple of grand on finance on the vehicle so I'm holding the dealer and finance company as liable

Advice please and thoughts

Thank you

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
Re: How much damage?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 10:30:58 am »
I couldn't comment on what may have happened but I would suggest considering having an independent assesment carried out. Worst case could well be a new engine.

Make sure that VW head office have a full written account of this from you. If your finance is with VW it wouldn't hurt to make them aware either.

How long have you had the car?

Maybe if it's short ownership ask them to source another car and transplant your extras if needed.

Either way, the very best of luck to you!

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Parmo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • I'm a dirty thief
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 11:29:04 am »
Independant engineer booked had it 4 months of which it's been in the garage over 3 weeks picked it up and within 5 days came back when in for a dsg service with oil at 75% when it had only been serviced 5 days prior and done 300 mile

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 12:34:24 pm »
I would go for a new engine. After my car was stolen/recovered and they had thrashed it mercilessly running it dry of oil the garage doing the work insisted on a new engine and turbo to cover their arse.

Subsequently this wrote it off as it made it beyond economical repair so through no fault of your own you are effectively in the same position.

Offline Parmo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • I'm a dirty thief
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 01:40:43 pm »
Latest update they said the original leak on the oil filter housing which was only present on hard acceleration is nothing to do with the big leak that is a oil seal

I'm saying that they have caused the big leak in over revving the engine at standstill

Which I believe will give me major problems in the vehicle been driven 20-30 miles with no oil in well what was only I the sump and the turbo starved of oil

What are your thoughts please ?

Any vw techs on here ?

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 05:11:10 pm »
New engine.

MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline Parmo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • I'm a dirty thief
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 06:55:10 pm »
Can anybody tell me why a oil seal blows ?

Do you think the issue with the oil filter housing has caused it and revving the vehicle at standstill I've only driven 9 miles home from them fixing it

Then another 20-30 miles with a major leak

Offline Dubbin

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 07:41:12 pm »
Did your oil warning light come on? If not then your oil level shouldn't have been at a dangerous level.
GTI, DSG, Xenons, Laser Blue, Sunroof, 5 Door, Monza IIs, MFSW

Offline Parmo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • I'm a dirty thief
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 07:57:10 pm »
No engine light dipstick was bone dry

Offline Andy1994

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 09:46:17 pm »
dipstick could be dry with say a litre less of oil than what is required doesnt mean to say there was no oil, a car which holds 5litres often wont register on the dipstick until about 4 litres

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 10:26:20 pm »
dipstick could be dry with say a litre less of oil than what is required doesnt mean to say there was no oil, a car which holds 5litres often wont register on the dipstick until about 4 litres
True, possibly, but there is no way to quantify the margin of error once it fails to be read on the only measuring device the car has. For this reason you can only say it is as likely as not that the sump contained no oil, particularly so if you reasonably assume that it it ejected this much in 30 miles or less. Even if it had some oil and the OP made a tight turn at moderate speed it's possible the engine suffered oil starvation.

If it's under warranty I'm not sure if it matters how it got into this state. Something has gone very wrong and hopefully it'll be insured by a warranty company so the OP's garage won't be out of pocket themselves.

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Parmo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • I'm a dirty thief
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 09:05:26 am »
Also I must. Add that both leaks have been repaired and they have not used any diagnostic equipment as its a citroen dealership and do not have access to vag com

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 09:11:59 am »
Oil pressure light would have come on before there would have been any damage to the engine.  In my experience the engine should be fine.

What oil seal was leaking?  Reving it at standstill wouldn't have caused any damage.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline Parmo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • I'm a dirty thief
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 09:53:32 am »
No oil light was on
Could it have been faulty?

Alex the dipstick was completely dry I had drive no more than 20-30 miles since picking it up 48 hours earlier.

However a oil trail was present on my way home which showed how id reversed off the drive earlier so what I saying is on the Saturday I picked it up drove 9miles home. And on Monday went out in it the oil on my drive and the indication for reversing offit means it had to be leaking

I'm unsure which seal has gone

I have a warranty covering me for 10500 I'm trying to push for new engine and turbo but don't seem to be getting anywhere

I appreciate your advice

Offline MK1Campaign

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 10:03:09 am »
They will go for the cheapest option to repair.
There's no way you'll get a new engine and turbo unless they are completely scrap.