2 (9.5%)
1.4tsi 160
0 (0%)
2.0 tdi 140
2 (9.5%)
Gti/gtd
16 (76.2%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Help me choose an engine  (Read 2724 times)

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
Re: Help me choose an engine
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 11:13:25 pm »
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:44:21 am by Scottymon »

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 11:18:48 pm »
As the others have said..........only 17 miles, get the GTI.  :happy2:

32miles a day. We both do 8 miles there and 8 miles back!

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 11:28:42 pm »
Your never going to get a proper answer from petrol heads, that's why your no doubt having a hard time over it  :rolleye:  :evilgrin: but we do have a Volvo 1.6D Drive that's just daft on fuel economy mate, same engine that's in the Focus, it's hard not to get 50MPG out of them all round.  

Although the thing with the Eco versions is they usually have longer gear ratios which make them an ass to drive sportingly, but they are more than fine as a commuter.

Offline mdmay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 01:39:14 am »
get the gti. i have the same engine in my octy vrs with dsg and a hybrid k04 and i have to drive in to london regularly in mine for work circa a 24 mile round trip  and always average around 29 which is easily liveable
Regards,

Mike

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 08:19:16 am »
I do a lot of long drives so I swapped my GTI for a Rocco 170 TDI (same engine as GTD).

I get around 20mpg better overall (according to the MFD) than the GTI and I probably drive it a bit harder  :evilgrin:

I thought about Bluemotion TDI's but knew I would get bored / frustrated with it. In majority of situations the CR170 provides similar acceleration to a stock GTI, so it's not exactly slow  :happy2:

For me it's the perfect balance between power & economy. Plus with a remap you get 211bhp (ish) and if you remove the DPF and go stage 2, you will be on the heels of a mapped MK6 GTI  :P
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 08:24:57 am »
The bluemotion tech on the 1.6tdi DSG is just start/stop/re gen some under tray editions. No map changes AFAIK.

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 08:47:08 am »
As others have said where's the benefit to go diesel?  It's going to cost you more to get a GTD than Mk6 GTI (which all things being considered is the only diesel alternative in the Golf Range to a GTI), weigh up the costs mate --- think I remember doing it a long time ago and it's in the region of 15k plus miles a year to see an advantage of the derv over petrol.

That said, christ your only doing 8 miles a day commuting... any old shag heap for the commute then a V8 in the garage. :party:

:grin: Its for the Mrs mainly so don't fancy her driving a v8. Its not just fuel that costs more on a GTI though. Tyres, servicing, parts all generally cost more. Plus DSG GTI's all start at 15k ish, which again is more than i ideally want to spend.

I do make journeys down to London, Manchester and ATM my current GTI just drinks fuel compared to what i imagine a little 1.6tdi would.

Its both of us doing 8miles, so 32miles a day. So inc trips on days off around 10k a year.

Im pretty convinced if i get a GTI i will be constantly thinking I should have gone more economical.

If saving money on motoring is a primary concern then is spending £12k+ the best option for you? Sometimes people 'forget' the purchase costs...

Regarding DPF delete...that's not far off £1k done properly so that won't bring any saving.
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 12:30:50 pm »
8 mile journey should be ok for the DPF. The CR engines work really well with the DPF unlike the old PD engine in the mk5
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 01:18:01 pm »

I do 25 miles each way in an R32. Costs me £12.50 a day just in petrol!

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 03:28:07 pm »

I do 25 miles each way in an R32. Costs me £12.50 a day just in petrol!

Lol would be the same in my golf!

As others have said where's the benefit to go diesel?  It's going to cost you more to get a GTD than Mk6 GTI (which all things being considered is the only diesel alternative in the Golf Range to a GTI), weigh up the costs mate --- think I remember doing it a long time ago and it's in the region of 15k plus miles a year to see an advantage of the derv over petrol.

That said, christ your only doing 8 miles a day commuting... any old shag heap for the commute then a V8 in the garage. :party:

:grin: Its for the Mrs mainly so don't fancy her driving a v8. Its not just fuel that costs more on a GTI though. Tyres, servicing, parts all generally cost more. Plus DSG GTI's all start at 15k ish, which again is more than i ideally want to spend.

I do make journeys down to London, Manchester and ATM my current GTI just drinks fuel compared to what i imagine a little 1.6tdi would.

Its both of us doing 8miles, so 32miles a day. So inc trips on days off around 10k a year.

Im pretty convinced if i get a GTI i will be constantly thinking I should have gone more economical.

If saving money on motoring is a primary concern then is spending £12k+ the best option for you? Sometimes people 'forget' the purchase costs...

Regarding DPF delete...that's not far off £1k done properly so that won't bring any saving.

I'm looking for a nice car, yes I could get a 5k car but I'm not looking for an older French car, it's the day to day cost I want to reduce while maintaining a happy medium on purchase cost/performance/mpg/comfort.

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 05:55:58 pm by Eccie »

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy