Make a donation

Author Topic: Electrical Connection(s) ?  (Read 550 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Electrical Connection(s) ?
« on: November 18, 2013, 03:24:59 pm »
Can someone please offer guidance.......

I have an item wired to a live (+) and a earth (-) this is currently on a constant live, so I want to go via a button so I can switch it on and off. Is this correct before I wire up:

DO:  Do I just run the main live to the button...........the live from the button to the device............then the negative from the devise back to main negative?

DON'T: Run the main live and negative to the button..........run the live of negative of the device to the button
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Scrubadub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
  • Soon to be "bagged"
    • Email
Re: Electrical Connection(s) ?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 03:57:37 pm »
depends what the buttons like, some just split the live feed which is the easiest way of doing it and leave the item your powering having a direct earth
Fun bags

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 04:38:35 pm »
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 05:06:33 pm »
First you need to know what your load is and do you have the correct cabling,operational switch and fuse size etc.

This diagram shows how you should do it

http://www.ripper1.com/tech/wiring.php

Look at the horn circuit for your best method.

Remember good engineering practices - neatness and mechanical soundness is important to prevent silly faults and in worst case fires.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 07:43:16 pm »
So this is where I'm taking the main power, ciggy lighter. It has three main wires can any advise what these are?

Would this be ignition, live and earth ? Strange thing is your ciggy lighter is perm live which makes me ask what is the third wire ? It can be an ignition ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 07:45:02 pm »
Live
Light
Earth
Are the connections I would expect!

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 07:57:58 pm »
Light ? Would this not he powered of the live ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 08:12:23 pm »
Would have to look it up to confirm it but I'm sure you'll find it's what I've suggested.

Eg when you turn the vehicles lights on that will go to an illumination point on the cig lighter or aux 12v connector.

Have a look here

http://volkswagen.workshop-manuals.com/golf-mk5/index.php?id=2189
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 08:15:37 pm by doylebros »