Make a donation

Author Topic: Which Air Intake Position is best?....  (Read 12492 times)

Offline cmdrfire

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
Re: Which Air Intake Position is best?....
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 06:14:25 pm »

You will not find a higher pressure zone of incoming air outside of the engine bay other than the leading edge of the hood right where it meets the grille.  This means the OEM scoop location is by far the best spot.  If anyone can produce wind tunnel data that relays differently I am all ears but VAG's own wind tunnel testing proves this quite handily.

Thanks Keith, that more or less confirms my suspicions.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 06:27:34 pm »
^^^^
That's really good to know, Keith, and especially from someone directly involved in such matters within the industry.

I was at Brands Hatch yesterday and had a good look at some of the race GTI's. The ones which locate their filter cone behind the headlight module, don't have any floor panels as the oem road cars do - So of course they get more 'fresh' air fed to them from below than when this location is used on road cars.

Thanks, Keith :drinking:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Keith@APR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 36
    • Go APR
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 09:58:46 pm »
^^^^
That's really good to know, Keith, and especially from someone directly involved in such matters within the industry.

I was at Brands Hatch yesterday and had a good look at some of the race GTI's. The ones which locate their filter cone behind the headlight module, don't have any floor panels as the oem road cars do - So of course they get more 'fresh' air fed to them from below than when this location is used on road cars.

Thanks, Keith :drinking:

Any pics?  Are they mk5 chassis?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 11:05:41 pm »
^^^^
@ KeithAPR : -

Yes, Mk5 chassis. I didn't photograph all of them but you can see the floor matting through the gaps and this would normally be covered in on an oem GTI.

Quite a few race Mk5's were using an enclosed cone filter in the oem ram location but had the oem engine cover on - :confused: ?? Methinks that's a very nice and functional looking cone filter.

Notice the abundant use of plastic ties! :grin:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 02:10:40 pm »
Confirmation from Keith @ APR of a new intake system especially for Stage 2 customers.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7673.0

Should be interesting :wink:
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline Keith@APR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Go APR
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 05:17:11 pm »
^^^^
@ KeithAPR : -

Yes, Mk5 chassis. I didn't photograph all of them but you can see the floor matting through the gaps and this would normally be covered in on an oem GTI.

Quite a few race Mk5's were using an enclosed cone filter in the oem ram location but had the oem engine cover on - :confused: ?? Methinks that's a very nice and functional looking cone filter.

Notice the abundant use of plastic ties! :grin:

So where is the outside air entering the intake system from?  Air does not flow up from the ground to the top of the engine bay.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 07:10:51 pm »

So where is the outside air entering the intake system from?  Air does not flow up from the ground to the top of the engine bay.

....In most cases from the oem position - Upper grill. In a few cases via ducted air from the foglight aperture.

Offline Keith@APR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Go APR
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 11:36:25 pm »

....In most cases from the oem position - Upper grill. In a few cases via ducted air from the foglight aperture.

I would not consider that ideal.  Put it back directly in front of the grille opening and don't worry about any air from the lower bumper area.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 11:13:38 am »
[I would not consider that ideal.  Put it back directly in front of the grille opening and don't worry about any air from the lower bumper area.

I thought that Forge found that with the extra side intake on their twintertake they saw 3-4hp improvement vs just collecting air from the oem scoop??
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 12:48:58 pm »

Have Forge released any concrete evidence of their Twintake's performance yet?

Or, even better, any independent evidence anywhere?

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 01:23:32 pm »
Not seen anything myself but I'm being more swayed by the ITG offering.

If you're wondering why, it's because of the ITG's cross section area at the maf (almost identical with stock) and apparently better fuel trims or should I say, closer to stock, compared with the twintertake. Mind you, the actual number of users was very small in both cases.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2010, 12:05:05 am »
I've stuck with the OE airbox and a performance filter on my Stage 2 ED30 but I'm sure VW were happy when they researched and developed the current set especially as they use a similar system on their race cars.

you cant ignore the fact that they have got rid of the integrated engine cover/airbox with the new TSI for an induction pipe running from the ram scoop to the turbo. surely that shows the std airbox was restictive, but the scoop in the grill is ok

You will not find a higher pressure zone of incoming air outside of the engine bay other than the leading edge of the hood right where it meets the grille.  This means the OEM scoop location is by far the best spot.  If anyone can produce wind tunnel data that relays differently I am all ears but VAG's own wind tunnel testing proves this quite handily.
That isn't 100% correct.  On the Golf Mk5, the area of the highest pressure zone is the central grille below the front number plate (license plate  :wink:).  However, that isn't exactly the best place for the engine air intake, as it would be highly likely to hoover up water in heavy rain, going through a puddle, or crossing a ford.  So the best compromise between a high pressure air supply, but minimum risk of water ingestion is where the current OEM inlet is - although to perfect it further, they could feed it through the front VW badge, in a similar vein to the McLaren Mercedes SLR.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 12:29:23 am »

On the Golf Mk5, the area of the highest pressure zone is the central grille below the front number plate (license plate  :wink:).  However, that isn't exactly the best place for the engine air intake, as it would be highly likely to hoover up water in heavy rain, going through a puddle, or crossing a ford.  So the best compromise between a high pressure air supply, but minimum risk of water ingestion is where the current OEM inlet is - although to perfect it further, they could feed it through the front VW badge, in a similar vein to the McLaren Mercedes SLR.

....Exactly as Andy at ITG told me.