Make a donation

Author Topic: S3 rear brake upgrade done!  (Read 17504 times)

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
S3 rear brake upgrade done!
« on: September 14, 2009, 05:13:18 pm »
Upgraded the rear brakes this afternoon. Managed to get hold of some S3 rears - not painted yet and quite like the look of the black with the wheels anyway at this point.

Fitted straight on, but unfortunately the S3 disc guards wouldn't fit, so I've ordered some Cupra ones that will.

First opinion is that the rear is a lot more stable under hard braking. The extra grip of the R888's along with the braking power of the TAROX 10 pots meant that the rear became under braked power-wise and was trying to overtake the front-end/squirm wide on hard use. Now the rears seem a much better balanced. :jumpmove:

Pics not great, but you get the idea. :smiley:

Golf R gone.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Re: S3 rear brake upgrade done!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 05:22:42 pm »
did you fit them yourself john? loooking nice

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 05:33:24 pm »
did you fit them yourself john? loooking nice

Watched on as Craig at Stattlers slotted them on for me!

They don't need ANY adapting at all. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 05:46:57 pm »
John,

Good news.  The Ed30 guards fit with a little bit of tweaking (bending them slightly out of the way, as in my thread.........

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2113.0

Glad someone else has verified that the rear feels more stable with S3 rear brakes fitted.
 :happy2: :happy2:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 06:07:31 pm »
I've had a set of these for months. I need to get round to fitting them!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 07:43:25 pm »
John,

Good news.  The Ed30 guards fit with a little bit of tweaking (bending them slightly out of the way, as in my thread.........

Glad someone else has verified that the rear feels more stable with S3 rear brakes fitted.

I guess the better brakes do make a difference that's why they are fitted to the Leon Cupra R. :happy2:

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 07:46:43 pm »
 :congrats: nicely done mate

big brakes...light wheels...dodgy tyres  :party: :grin:

i call shotgun!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 08:44:14 pm »
John,

I guess the better brakes do make a difference that's why they are fitted to the Leon Cupra R. :happy2:

I agree Ian.
 :happy2:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 10:12:17 pm »
:congrats: nicely done mate

big brakes...light wheels...dodgy tyres  :party: :grin:

i call shotgun!

You'll need to get your name back on the 'ring trip then :happy2:

Also whilst I was there I asked about the pads on the front as they look a little low. Looks like they would last for the 'ring, but I was told that Spa would kill them in a few laps as it is such a high speed track with very demanding braking areas!!

So I've enquired about some proper race pads specifically for the trip :evilgrin:

Also looks like the front wishbones will be swapped out for some TT ones like JonnyC's to dial in a little negative camber and topped off with a dose of full corner weight set-up. :jumping: :driver:

The bad expensive news is that I appear to have completely killed my front AND rear Eibach suspension as all 4 struts are leaking, so it looks like some Bilstein's or KW's are going on sometime before the trip too :rolleye:
Golf R gone.

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 10:20:30 pm »
Hurdy, will you take me for a spin when your car is done  :driver:

As long as you dont kill me  :happy2:

400+bhp is quite something !
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 10:26:46 pm »
Hurdy, will you take me for a spin when your car is done  :driver:

As long as you dont kill me  :happy2:

400+bhp is quite something !

Sure will Rich.

Looks like the ED30 will be a stripped out track slag quicker than I thought now the R20 looks the biz :wink:
Golf R gone.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 10:05:36 am »
Just a quick update as a word of caution.

The rear upgrade is perfect for my front brake set-up to REGAIN the balance between the front and back. The front was slightly overbraked with the TAROX upgrade and the S3 upgrade simply redresses the balance at a higher level than before. Upgrading the rear only (in my opinion) isn't necessary and the front needs to be significantly upgraded before the rear needs attention :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 05:37:44 pm »

The rear upgrade is perfect for my front brake set-up to REGAIN the balance between the front and back. The front was slightly overbraked with the TAROX upgrade and the S3 upgrade simply redresses the balance at a higher level than before. Upgrading the rear only (in my opinion) isn't necessary and the front needs to be significantly upgraded before the rear needs attention :happy2:

....Aha! Not just in your opinion but, in different words, this is what AP were telling me when they said I didn't need to change my oem rear brakes with their AP 4-pots on the front.

8)

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 06:11:18 pm »

....Aha! Not just in your opinion but, in different words, this is what AP were telling me when they said I didn't need to change my oem rear brakes with their AP 4-pots on the front.

8)

Lots of opinions here, my findings are that with the full S3 Set up, mine is just right.  Just my findings, and this has been mentioned to me when my car was worked on recently by a very reputable organisation, in fact they were very impressed by the feel, initial bite, and effectiveness.  Now I am not saying that they will cope with lap after lap of the ring, but what brakes can, apart from a full set of bespoke track (not road) brakes.

The full S3/R32 is a very cost effective and well developed OEM road set up, which  is developed by the factory for use on a car of similar weight and chassis (Audi S3 or seat Cupra anyone......).  they may not look as sexy as AP's etc, but IMHO bang per buck, road set up they are great.

The full S3 set up offers a far more cost effective braking system, and in most circumstances, i dfeel would be adequate for use on the road, with the odd foray on the track.  You will spend sub £500 for a full set if you shop wisely, rather than £1000's on bespoke road brakes.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 06:27:27 pm by stokeballoon »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 06:28:59 pm »
^^^^
A very large and golden tuppence there, QD!

I don't think that anyone is claiming that one brake setup beats all others. As you say: Lots of opinions and several combinations which work extremely well for different people and different uses. And which suit different depths of pockets.

:happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!