Make a donation

Author Topic: Cam follower question  (Read 2534 times)

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
Re: Cam follower question
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 09:06:28 pm »
Uprated pumps do tend to increase wear, but most follower wear is caused by poor quality oils. I have changed well over 100 followers, but since changing most customers cars to the millers nanodrive oil, wear is almost fully eliminated.  Grade of fuel doesn't really matter as fuel isn't touching the follower.

Check it every service, if the dlc is starting to wear then  just change it, and dump the longlife oil.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 09:16:04 pm »
Uprated pumps do tend to increase wear, but most follower wear is caused by poor quality oils. I have changed well over 100 followers, but since changing most customers cars to the millers nanodrive oil, wear is almost fully eliminated.  Grade of fuel doesn't really matter as fuel isn't touching the follower.

Check it every service, if the dlc is starting to wear then  just change it, and dump the longlife oil.

Alex surely there will be extra fuel pressure required to maintain progress on 95RON vs 99RON?  In theory you shouldn't use as much of the stronger stuff as the octane is creating the power needed from less fuel. Hence people getting better MPG on super fuels.

Less fuel means less work for the HPFP and less pressure on the follower?

Probably only makes a very small difference. .   :grin:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=p39tij2bv1bgcv7gnk04mmj489&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 09:20:15 pm »

Alex surely there will be extra fuel pressure required to maintain progress on 95RON vs 99RON?  In theory you shouldn't use as much of the stronger stuff as the octane is creating the power needed from less fuel. Hence people getting better MPG on super fuels.

Less fuel means less work for the HPFP and less pressure on the follower?

Probably only makes a very small difference. .   :grin:

Fuel rail pressure will be met regardless of fuel used. Presuming everything is working correctly.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 09:23:30 pm »
If more fuel is being injected then surely the HPFP will have to work that little bit harder to maintain pressure?

That's the angle I'm coming from  :happy2:

NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 09:33:53 pm »
A stage 2+ car either using 95 or 98 will still request the same pressure, it's the timing of the car that will be affected.

Uprated pump running 130 bar tends to cause more wear on the follower than a stock pump running 110 bar.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 01:20:35 am »
Here's mine when it was changed, around 92k miles longlife history until my ownership where it's every 8-10k regardless.