Make a donation

Author Topic: Power ......electrical  (Read 850 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Power ......electrical
« on: November 30, 2013, 08:46:39 pm »
Go guys.  Have just installed rear screen n my rns510 everything is working as planned.

However the rear screen are now flashing POWER and cut out. I believe this is due to the amount of electrical current. So here goes.....

The main box that controls the signal, and the monitors are coming out of is connect to the + of the cigarette lighter. Am I trying to draw too much power from this live feed? Does the car not feed a continuious 12v to this feed regardless of how much I run off it?

Hope this makes sence, really need some help
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
Re: Power ......electrical
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 09:04:56 pm »
I thought it did?

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 09:11:20 pm »
Just not sure? It really does seem like its all drawing too much power......

Show I take the + direct from the fuse box?

Seems I need a live the gives more power as power is drawn......, kinda thinking the more I draw from the ciggy lighter the less power there is to go around (how it seems to me) I maybe wrong??

'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 09:16:21 pm »
It would blow a fuse if that was the issues.

Bit more info is needed to help - but it's own circuit is always the way to do any new install.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 09:19:54 pm by doylebros »

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 09:24:42 pm »
My electrical knowledge is very basis.

But surely like a house the more you switch on the more power needed to run it. I believe the canbus can control this, not sure if the ciggy lighter can be fed more power?

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 09:31:46 pm »
So I have,

Poer from ciggy lighter,
This into a basic on off switch, do I can turn it off
This goes into alpine tme-m780
Monitors run directly out of this

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 09:36:26 pm »
You could have a poor connection - if this is the fault prove it by quickly taking a fused feed from the battery and and earth from the battery.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 09:41:26 pm »
Ok, thank you. Can I ask......

Every connection the fuse box is live, how do I tell which ones are permanent and which are ignition ?

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 09:45:10 pm »
You use a test lamp for simplicity - then try each circuit with the ignition off, then in position 2.

Have a look on YouTube you'll see what I mean.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 09:49:19 pm »
Kinda what I thought, just wondered if there was a simple attern between the I've and ignition

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 09:53:47 pm »
Electrical installations require the highest level of electrical engineering soundness for reliable, trouble free safe operation!

If your not 100% capable, use someone who is (as cars catch on fire too easy)!