Make a donation

Author Topic: Part worn tyres  (Read 1029 times)

Offline irish_ram

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
Part worn tyres
« on: February 06, 2014, 09:40:31 am »
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice.

I am currently looking at some Monza 18" wheels and have found 2 sets for quite cheap that I am thinking of purchasing.

One set is black coloured with some scuffs but the tyres they think are all illegal. They are willing to take £125 for the wheels because of this.

The other set are the standard silver/grey ones with again some scuffs but all the tyres are road legal with about 5-6mm tread. It does not state the make of tyres so I am presuming they are budget. These are going for £230.

So which ones do I go for bearing in mind if I went for the black ones I would need to buy legal tyres but would not need to spray. However if went for the silver ones I would want to spray as black suits better I believe but would not need to buy tyres.

So questions are:

- if looking at tyres what is the cheapest place I could get them even if I look at part worn
 - I prefer black wheels on red car as have matt black badges too but what are peoples opinions
 - also asked this on my other topic but presume spraying the silver would also likely coverup some of the scuffs and not make them as obvious

Also my budget is £250

Thanks for responses

Offline Marc-5-GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
    • Email
Re: Part worn tyres
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 10:45:17 am »
Please don't get part worns

Is the £250 budget for 4 tyres?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 10:48:49 am by Marc-5-GTI »
3dr Reflex Silver GTI | BBS VZ | Eibach Sportlines | Cumbria

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 11:49:32 am »
part worn tyres could have been sat around for months on end, therefore the rubber will have gone hard and brittle and will crack, this will then cause danger to your life.

Tyres are the most important part for saftey on your car - Dont be cheap, buy decent rubber !!! - or least new budget rubber
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 12:06:07 pm »
Okay so it looks like the advice is go for the silver alloys with good tread tyres and spray them black.

My budget is £250 for wheels and tyres so only the silver alloys fit the bill

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 01:11:16 pm »
Are these alloys reps?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 01:34:02 pm »
Are these alloys reps?

Im my mind they are. The seller advises he does not know so presume they are reps but I think for this price they are.

So I will either get reps for the right cheap price or will get originals for a damn good price  :happy2:

Why is it you ask?

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 02:22:23 pm »
If I did go the buying new tyres route what are the cheapest budget tyres I could get and has anyone got any places they use etc.

I can then likely save a few quid to eventually get good tyres

Offline Andygolf

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 05:24:08 pm »
Part worn tyres try here :-

Buy cheap buy twice! these are the only points of contact you have with the road. what is wrong with the wheels and tyres you have on at the moment?

Offline Marc-5-GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 06:12:18 pm »
^^ that crash was 4 miles from where I live.. It's an easy bend but with too much speed your knackered.. Cause it's over a crest.
3dr Reflex Silver GTI | BBS VZ | Eibach Sportlines | Cumbria

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 06:41:34 pm »
Part worn tyres try here :-

Buy cheap buy twice! these are the only points of contact you have with the road. what is wrong with the wheels and tyres you have on at the moment?

That video doesn't prove or disprove anything imo.
You check for things like that yourself. Any protrusions, punctures, etc. Nowhere does the video state where the tyres were bought from.
Doesn't effect my decision to buy part worns (if I had to) at all.  :chicken:

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 01:04:12 pm »
As with all things, enter with your eyes open.  Almost all of us have bought part-worn tyres at some point - when we bought a second hand car.  You'll almost certainly have trusted your family to part-worns, in a minicab.  If the driver in the video had bought brand new tyres, but continued to drive on cold wet roads when they were worn to 1.05mm, he'd still be in his current tragic situation.

I consider myself very fortunate to be able to afford a GTI, and to be able to buy good premium tyres.  I'd buy a slower car and continue to buy premium tyres if money became tighter.  However, if you're careful, it's possible to get a bargain with part-worns.

Caveat emptor.

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline nigw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 02:42:03 pm »
That video is an embarrassment....it proves zero about part-worn tyres, despite its intentions!

Whilst I personally wouldnt bother buying part worns, I recognise that as an owner of a used car, I am already running round on part worns....as the vast majority of people on here will be!