Make a donation

Author Topic: New boy looking for first ever car!  (Read 3136 times)

MPS

Re: New boy looking for first ever car!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 11:20:15 am »
My advice: don't waste your money on mods, save it for a few years. (God I sound like my dad, I must be getting old!)

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 11:23:15 am »
My advice: don't waste your money on mods, save it for a few years. (God I sound like my dad, I must be getting old!)

:grin: I was going to say this but then I remembered when I was 17 I would have never listened haha.

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 06:43:37 pm »
Great first car she looks tidy. For me it'd be a nice stance, some nice fat alloys and just little things like debadge/wiper, maybes a gti interior too ect give it that kinda euro look but not so that the car don't look major different.

Enjoy  :happy2:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 06:45:16 pm by Chris92 »

Offline LeightonJ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 09:31:43 pm »
Cheers everyone, loving the ideas  :happy2:  :)
What are the best sites to buy from for bumpers and things? ppcgb any good? Only site i've found but there must be more!

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 09:49:52 pm »
Insurance on 1st motor is a biiiatch! I paid 369.00 a month on my first car :o

My advice would be, - dont get any points!

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 09:51:41 pm »
Cheers everyone, loving the ideas  :happy2:  :)
What are the best sites to buy from for bumpers and things? ppcgb any good? Only site i've found but there must be more!

If you can afford the extra insurance (are you getting the hint)... then 2nd hand is easily the most cost effective way of getting a new look, that you know will fit, and look good. :happy2:

Offline LeightonJ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 03:47:45 pm »
Change of car has happened already  :surprised:
One of the valves was at low pressure on the silver golf, and the dealership bodged it  :scared:
So now I'm back with another 1.4 S in diamond black!

Offline LeightonJ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 03:49:04 pm »
Will upload pics later when home from my driving lesson! :smiley:

Offline shreddedmeat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 05:12:02 pm »
How did the dealer manage that??

Got yourself a good first car there. 1.4 is nice and sensible, had it in my old Audi A2 - slow as hell but it will last you, and its fairly easy to work on if you want to get your hands dirty (good practise and experience). 90% of the things that went on mine I learnt to do myself  :happy2:. 1.6FSI just spells trouble to me - at least it was in the A2.

If you want my advice (I know you probably wont!) I'm with the others, keep the mods simple, the insurance as low as possible, and save your cash until a time when you can go in for the 'real thing' instead of having a lookalike which still goes and steers like a 1.4! It'll be worth it in the long run I promise you! Really proud of the fact that I have a GTI at 22, couldn't have done it without working and saving like a nutter for years.

Main thing is though you should definitely be proud you have a Golf at all, enjoy  :drinking:
'06 Tornado Red 5 door manual

Can help with or fit VCDS / Cruise control / CAN gateways / RNS in North East

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 06:51:56 pm »
How did the dealer manage that??

Got yourself a good first car there. 1.4 is nice and sensible, had it in my old Audi A2 - slow as hell but it will last you, and its fairly easy to work on if you want to get your hands dirty (good practise and experience). 90% of the things that went on mine I learnt to do myself  :happy2:. 1.6FSI just spells trouble to me - at least it was in the A2.

If you want my advice (I know you probably wont!) I'm with the others, keep the mods simple, the insurance as low as possible, and save your cash until a time when you can go in for the 'real thing' instead of having a lookalike which still goes and steers like a 1.4! It'll be worth it in the long run I promise you! Really proud of the fact that I have a GTI at 22, couldn't have done it without working and saving like a nutter for years.

Main thing is though you should definitely be proud you have a Golf at all, enjoy  :drinking:

Sounds like me this does, I had a mk4 for 2.5 years that I modded slightly and was happy with it, but I always wanted a mk5 gti so I worked and saved like mad, I was searching for the right car for 6months and when I just turned 21 the right car popped up for sale and I got it. I'm proud to for owning a gti at 21 not many people our age have anything even close to what we have  :smiley: .
Well worth the wait

My advice would be stick to the speed limits and keep your license clean, oh and enjoy the vdub  :driver:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 07:01:43 pm by Chris92 »

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 12
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 11:07:46 pm »
I never modded my first car, but then it was an R-reg Peugeot 306 1.4 LX. If you change parts for OEM then your insurance shouldn't increase a lot if at all. Saying that though, this IS your first car.

I'm with Adrian Flux and they allow for unlimited body modifications without increase in insurance costs, but I do have to tell them what I do.

MK5 Golf GTi 197BHP Tornado Red

Offline Marc-5-GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 07:52:13 pm »
I tend to agree with people with the cheap insurance mods... you never know though... it only cost me £40 P/Y to put alloys and coilies on my old polo! And as above, save like a mad man! I got my GTI at 20 thanks to my apprenticeship! feels awesome (makes you feel like such a boss when you know people at uni)  :party:  its doable if you're sensible with cash.

Nice to know you're sorted with a good en this time
3dr Reflex Silver GTI | BBS VZ | Eibach Sportlines | Cumbria

Offline LeightonJ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 11:21:02 pm »
Don't get me wrong guys I'm dead proud of having a golf for my first car, mega grateful.
I get what everyone is saying about mods and holding off, and to be honest it's probably the right thing to do. But I wouldn't dream of doing anything performance wise, they will all be cosmetic touches.
Landed myself a new job so there's nothing else I want to spend my money on!

Anyways, my iphone pictures turned out poor and blurred, so I won't be uploading those, will wait till I can get hold of my mate who's into his photography! Get some good snaps then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2013, 12:16:52 am »
Anyone that can actually own a car and not mod it in anyway shape or form is not a car enthusiast! :P