Make a donation

Author Topic: Life after Facebook  (Read 6247 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=521ipbbolkj441f7vhrr602dh0&/topic,19740.0.html
Life after Facebook
« on: December 13, 2013, 12:12:22 pm »
... so I removed my account a few days ago. What do I do now? Feels a bit odd not checking it every 5 mins.... but so far so good. I will miss the car related banter thats for sure, but there was too much sh*t being posted up by various people, my feed was a constant stream of "LOOK HOW GOOD I AM" posts... name dropping (especially on RIP status which is shocking) etc

So no... I have not deleted any of you in case you were getting a bit paro-twitchy  :laugh:

:grouphug:

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
Re: Life after Facebook
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 12:15:39 pm »
Feckin' mad isn't it... I stopped using it about a year ago, it's hard to start with but you soon realise how much time is wasted talking sh!te... now just need to scrub out the forums :laugh: :happy2:

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 12:18:21 pm »
I did the same about 6 months ago. Have lost touch with lots of people as a result, but don't miss the BS that comes with having an account. The intrusion into my privacy got too much for me and the last straw was when a map appeared on my profile page showing places I'd been photographed in. I didn't want it there and couldn't remove it so I deleted myself!

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 12:20:44 pm »
I used to mess about with the lads at work on FB a bit, as we were on the road quite a bit we used to check in at strange places we were passing and post up silly stuff for a laugh, have a bit of banter (then you'd get some distant elderly relative pass a message back via other relatives taking it all seriously as they didn't get the humour), share music etc. but that gets a bit boring after a while and goes off the boil.
But yes, it increasingly just got packed with neurotic crap from people who were either having an apparently fabulous life or used to just post up their latest woes for a bit of sympathy and then never reply to the subject when everyone asked what was wrong…

So I just got a bit fed up with it all, and instead of deleting the account I just stopped logging in. I keep it there so I can keep up with birthdays of people I don't see very often as being a bloke I'm useless at remembering birthdays.
After a few months I really don't miss it one bit and sit there now and wonder why I ever bothered...
Andy
7R

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=521ipbbolkj441f7vhrr602dh0&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 12:25:07 pm »
I used to mess about with the lads at work on FB a bit, as we were on the road quite a bit we used to check in at strange places we were passing and post up silly stuff for a laugh, have a bit of banter (then you'd get some distant elderly relative pass a message back via other relatives taking it all seriously as they didn't get the humour), share music etc. but that gets a bit boring after a while and goes off the boil.
But yes, it increasingly just got packed with neurotic crap from people who were either having an apparently fabulous life or used to just post up their latest woes for a bit of sympathy and then never reply to the subject when everyone asked what was wrong…

So I just got a bit fed up with it all, and instead of deleting the account I just stopped logging in. I keep it there so I can keep up with birthdays of people I don't see very often as being a bloke I'm useless at remembering birthdays.
After a few months I really don't miss it one bit and sit there now and wonder why I ever bothered...

Ohhh thats a classic  :signLOL:

"Just got some terrible news"

"Whats up mate?"

"Sorry i dont wanna talk about it"

f*ck OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :laugh:

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
  • "I was born a handsome man and now I'm half a goat
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 12:31:56 pm »
How did you remove your account?
I've treid on a couple of occasions,but all I can do is temporatily suspend it?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 12:35:43 pm »
How did you remove your account?
I've treid on a couple of occasions,but all I can do is temporatily suspend it?

Yes.. thats what I did!  :happy2:

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 12:41:59 pm »
Anyone seen the film "Terms and conditions may apply"... the data is never really deleted from the likes of facebook, they still have it - just not publically facing.

Quite funny in part of the film they catch Zuckerberg outside his house and have a chat with him, he's not too happy about being filmed and asks for his privacy to be maintained.

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 12:54:59 pm »
For me it was a case of editing the privacy settings and removing anyone that doesn't post interesting stuff. Now I only get relevant info from people I know. When I'm tagged in anything I have to give permission and there are no location turned on. No apps that have access to my account/friends lists.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 01:09:33 pm »
I believe you suspend it and after a period of time of inactivity it gets removed.

Could be wrong though...  :smiley:

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 01:14:28 pm »
The posts i hate most are those people re posting somebody elses post ----you know the one that say 97% of my friends won't post but i know 3% will

I always go on a rant about it , it can't be relevant to everyone's list of friends can it !

I also log in via a different browser with some ad blocker software installed so i don't get all those adverts from bookies vodafone and a load of other sh!t !
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 01:21:21 pm »
The posts i hate most are those people re posting somebody elses post ----you know the one that say 97% of my friends won't post but i know 3% will

I always go on a rant about it , it can't be relevant to everyone's list of friends can it !

I also log in via a different browser with some ad blocker software installed so i don't get all those adverts from bookies vodafone and a load of other sh!t !

Not to mention all the "famous quote status/pictures".... that NO ONE EVER SAID!!!!  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ohh.. and sharing a link to a "Factual" headline....... from thedailymash! Then everyone goes mental, until someone points out (for the 100th time) its a satirical website.  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Can you see why I left now?

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 01:46:03 pm »
why dont you just use Facebook in the normal blokes way - check once a week, usually Saturday morning to see if there is any events or parties.

Can imagine checking every 5 mins like you said, cant imagine even once a day.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 01:51:22 pm »
I had a really busy FB feed..... i was a part time job keeping up with it!  :signLOL: (5 mins is an exaggeration.... it was probably more like 6 or 7)

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 01:58:27 pm »
I signed up to FB back in 2007. I stopped using it around 2009 when I realised it was a crock of $h!t€ and deactivated my account. But apparently I'm still on there.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.