Make a donation

Author Topic: My Edition 30, Golf R and a TTRS...  (Read 6064 times)

Offline Eddie07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
My Edition 30, Golf R and a TTRS...
« on: December 15, 2013, 10:22:09 pm »
...so here's the dilema, it's a good one I appreciate.

I currently have an edition 30. Love it...but it needs work to get it to where it needs to be. I can thank Jason in north wales for showing me his K1 stage2+.

The shopping list is on the verge of ridiculous for everything that needs to be done. ARB's, Coilovers, Engine Mounts, TBE, Brembo big brake kit....the list goes on. Was out with a couple of friends this evening in a C63 AMG. Now whilst I have no desire to own a merc, can use a pool car at work and drive a c350 which is utterly phenomenal for that, it got me thinking.

I haven't started modding yet and my car will be pushing 7 years old  with just over 100k on the clock in a couple of months   :scared: :scared: :scared:..and no matter how much I modd it, it will always be a mk5 golf, special, but no top end motor - I fully expect a barrage of abuse from some people of this comment but I'm sure you can see the under lying fact.

SO my options, mod my car, buy a golf r and do the same, or buy a ttrs and eventually do the same.

The mrs has given me the green light to do what I want as shes this as my vice for working so hard. I'm really excited to mod but now i have the option to buy another car I'm thinking is it better to do that??

Anyone with some experience or knows someone who sold up and moved on would be greatly appreciated I find myself looking to the forum for answers lol

(PS I did use the search button but couldnt find anything of relevance)

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: My Edition 30, Golf R and a TTRS...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 10:37:13 pm »
You should test drive the options and decide from there.
That is your only option. Peoples opnions should not matter really as it's your own money you're spending. Take 10 people who have owned all 3 and they will all have their own opinions.

Gonna probs get hated for saying that but it's the truth you need to go and think about what you want to do and which car you prefer. Dealers will let you test drive anything providing you can prove you're in a position to buy.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 10:39:28 pm »
Out of the three options, I'd say TTRS. You would have to spend a hell of a lot of money on a GolfR or your GTI to get it as quick as a mapped TTRS.

Other than that they are all basically the same sh*t in a different frock.

Offline Eddie07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 10:43:07 pm »
I appreciate both points of view...the Golf R is 4wd and ttrs is legendary 2.5 5 cylinder but against a modded stage2+ with quiffe lsd there wont be much keeping up with an Eddie 30 at that spec either.

performance wise, a map FMIC and TBE 450hp from a TTRS?? erm....THATS QUICK!

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 10:47:53 pm »
Yeap, if you can afford one, a TTRS IMO. Awesome cars even in standard guise with the bonus of a better soundtrack. Have a look at Poverty's build thread, should give you some inspiration and a nudge in that direction.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 11:41:10 pm »
As mentioned the ttrs is top dog-engine, brakes, quattro, so if performance is your priority you have to go down this route with your 3 options. If you need 4 doors and a boot you could go RS3/4.
'07 Red manual

Offline Eddie07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 11:44:37 pm »
Ran the figures on a TTRS, not sure I fancy losing 10k in deposit to make the figures more appealing.

So its down to 2 I guess...are the golf R and edition 30 principally the same engine?

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 12:52:53 am »
Ran the figures on a TTRS, not sure I fancy losing 10k in deposit to make the figures more appealing.

So its down to 2 I guess...are the golf R and edition 30 principally the same engine?

Yes,it's the same engine mate.....

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 08:28:08 am »
Go for the Golf R then, it's heavier but you won't have to put up with the limitations of FWD particularly if your planning on extra power.
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline gtipirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • Golf GTi Pirelli
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 09:02:13 am »
Also don't forget that by the time you have finished modding the ED30 it will be closer to 8 years old and still over 100k miles. By that time, you will need to more updating of components that are reaching the end of their lives. The golf r will still only be a few years old at most
Golf GTi Pirelli - Diamond Black, 5 Door - SOLD
now 718 Cayman S PDK

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 09:20:03 am »
Also don't forget that by the time you have finished modding the ED30 it will be closer to 8 years old and still over 100k miles. By that time, you will need to more updating of components that are reaching the end of their lives. The golf r will still only be a few years old at most

The money saved buying an Edition 30 would far outweigh the financial outlay in any possible replacement parts cost.
Engines are not fickle things they will happily run tuned for tens of thousands of miles.. I had 150k on my old 1.9 TDI with 115% extra power over standard, mechanically it had no problems, provided the TFSI lumps are serviced correctly I see no reason why they would struggle with the similar sort of mileage.

Golf R is "rarer" shall we say, a bit more exclusive (as ultimately it's a Mk6 and the Edition 30 is still a Mk5 so much more common) and has the Haldex of course which for pure numbers on the strip is what's important but there's more to life than numbers.

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 09:28:44 am »
Why don't you modify the edition 30 ? Then in a couple of years take the mods off and put them on a golf R ? Quite a few bits will fit ?

As stated they are the same engine and once your eddy is up and dancing with no traction issues it will pull harder than the R

I think that's what I'm going to do when I fancy a change, remove my mods and put them on to a golf R.

Remember you can always remove your modifications and sell them one you are done with the car so it's not dead money.

You are completely right though it is hard to justify spending 5k on a car that's only probably worth about 7k, but check the forums for second hand parts and lay back in the knowledge that you should beable to take chunks out of most performance cars on the road with your little golf - there's nothing better than than someone in high end car with his mates in tow glancing in the rear view mirror and trying to drop you only to look in the rear view mirror 5 minutes later to see you hanging off his bumper with ease then pumping it past them on the dual carriage way after the next roundabout - giving them the obligatory eyebrow nod as if to say your porsche must be down at least 80bhp mate, my car is standard !

:signLOL:

MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline N8KOW

• Detailer - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 7
    • Kowalski Details
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 11:35:34 am »
Test drive them both. Also work out what it's going to cost you to do it all. Are you paying cash/finance etc, work out your monies.
IG: http://instagram.com/kowalskidetails
2014 Mk7 Golf R on Order...

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 12:21:38 pm »
It's a good point regarding the mods and resale value, if you choose wisely I doubt you would lose much if at all in some cases. 

Consumables aside, I buy pretty much exclusively second hand parts and haven't had to re-buy yet; I do tend to buy ones with either a little bit of warranty or very good condition. :happy2:

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 12:29:38 pm »
Why don't you modify the edition 30 ? Then in a couple of years take the mods off and put them on a golf R ? Quite a few bits will fit ?

As stated they are the same engine and once your eddy is up and dancing with no traction issues it will pull harder than the R

I think that's what I'm going to do when I fancy a change, remove my mods and put them on to a golf R.

Remember you can always remove your modifications and sell them one you are done with the car so it's not dead money.

You are completely right though it is hard to justify spending 5k on a car that's only probably worth about 7k, but check the forums for second hand parts and lay back in the knowledge that you should beable to take chunks out of most performance cars on the road with your little golf - there's nothing better than than someone in high end car with his mates in tow glancing in the rear view mirror and trying to drop you only to look in the rear view mirror 5 minutes later to see you hanging off his bumper with ease then pumping it past them on the dual carriage way after the next roundabout - giving them the obligatory eyebrow nod as if to say your porsche must be down at least 80bhp mate, my car is standard !

:signLOL:

+2.....mod the ed30,then after a few years strip the car bk to standard & sell the ed30...some of the parts will go on the R,so swap them over & sell the remaining parts

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map