Make a donation

Author Topic: My Edition 30, Golf R and a TTRS...  (Read 6060 times)

Offline Real Thing

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: My Edition 30, Golf R and a TTRS...
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 02:04:27 pm »
I appreciate both points of view...the Golf R is 4wd and ttrs is legendary 2.5 5 cylinder but against a modded stage2+ with quiffe lsd there wont be much keeping up with an Eddie 30 at that spec either.

performance wise, a map FMIC and TBE 450hp from a TTRS?? erm....THATS QUICK!

TTRS will still be streets ahead 0-60 even without a Map I ran Hurdy's old Edition 30 (admittedly only at Stage 1) with the quiffe Dif and even in perfect Condition's getting power down is an art whereas the TT can fly of the line what ever the conditions I have a TT-RS S-Tronic Plus at the moment and that's a Sub 4 Second 0-60 straight out the Box.
Golf MK6 R TTE420 & Gen1 RS3

Offline dan930

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 07:31:26 pm »
I appreciate both points of view...the Golf R is 4wd and ttrs is legendary 2.5 5 cylinder but against a modded stage2+ with quiffe lsd there wont be much keeping up with an Eddie 30 at that spec either.

TTRS will still be streets ahead 0-60 even without a Map I ran Hurdy's old Edition 30 (admittedly only at Stage 1) with the quiffe Dif and even in perfect Condition's getting power down is an art whereas the TT can fly of the line what ever the conditions I have a TT-RS S-Tronic Plus at the moment and that's a Sub 4 Second 0-60 straight out the Box.

+2
Standard ttrs or rs3 will totally blast a modded ed30 into the weeds

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline Eddie07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 07:47:44 pm »
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I went down to Awesome in Eccles today to have a conversation face to face with some of the guys there. I am not overly convinced that the Golf R is worth the extra premium as said by a previous post.

This is further supported that went to Harrogate to have a look at a Golf R and it just didnt feel special enough to command the price. Considering that thousands are going to spent on it after its been paid for, just doesnt seem worth it...at the moment.

On the way back went to have a look at TT Black Edition at stockport Audi, (there wasnt a TTRS within range given time) just for sizes etc - cant get the kids seats in the back without having knees IN the steering wheel and once prams in (stupidly expensive slim thing she duped me into buying lol) nothing else can get in the boot.

so after today I am SERIOUS leaning to the idea of modding my edition 30 and then maybe transferring the various bits no bobs if I feel its right couple years down the line.

Theres one final question would like help with...I own my edition 30...is it worth financing this Golf R? I'm not fond on modding a car I dont actually own but is that normal??

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 07:50:02 pm »

+2

Ever driven an Rs3?
Feels totally numb and disconnected. Ed30, even a GTI..  a much better drivers car

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 09:04:47 pm »

+2

Ever driven an Rs3?
Feels totally numb and disconnected. Ed30, even a GTI..  a much better drivers car

Have you driven one properly, and I don't mean a two minute test drive?

www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 09:41:29 pm »
30 minute test drive
And if by proper you mean 145 on a mates driveway then yes.  :ashamed:

It's quick, blindingly so. But it feels very very front heavy and goes to understeer quite quickly (more quickly than you'd like) when pushed. The steering is quite direct but you never really know what's going on.
I'd say my GTI is less understeery and more fun to drive, with better feedback through the wheel. The Mk7 GTI was a much nicer car than either, by far one of the best cars I've driven!

Not driven an ED30 but it's just a slightly faster GTI at the end of the day.

That's my opinion others may disagree

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 10:17:44 pm »
30 minute test drive
And if by proper you mean 145 on a mates driveway then yes.  :ashamed:

It's quick, blindingly so. But it feels very very front heavy and goes to understeer quite quickly (more quickly than you'd like) when pushed. The steering is quite direct but you never really know what's going on.
I'd say my GTI is less understeery and more fun to drive, with better feedback through the wheel. The Mk7 GTI was a much nicer car than either, by far one of the best cars I've driven!

Not driven an ED30 but it's just a slightly faster GTI at the end of the day.

That's my opinion others may disagree

My wife has one, and trust me a 1/2 hour test drive is not enough to appreciate the car :happy2:  Everytime I drive it, I am more and more impressed, and is the best all-round car we've owned, and we've had a few.......

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 10:40:42 pm »
Oh I'm agreeing with you as an all round, every day fast performance hatchback thingy it's probably difficult to beat but as a DRIVERS car (not that you don't drive a non-drivers car??  :driver:) there are better and the ED30 would be better to mod and better for fun.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 10:44:30 pm »
My wife has one, and trust me a 1/2 hour test drive is not enough to appreciate the car :happy2:  Everytime I drive it, I am more and more impressed, and is the best all-round car we've owned, and we've had a few.......

:signLOL: :signLOL:

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 08:14:24 am »
Oh I'm agreeing with you as an all round, every day fast performance hatchback thingy it's probably difficult to beat but as a DRIVERS car (not that you don't drive a non-drivers car??  :driver:) there are better and the ED30 would be better to mod and better for fun.

Really??  Are you sure about your last statement .......trust me IF I wanted to mod the RS, and I don't, stage one takes it to 400bhp, that's before changing the rear ARB and putting better tyres on. Doesn't sound like much fun to me  :smiley:

Anyway each to their own. Enjoy your diseasal  :driver:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 09:43:41 am »
There's more to life than power.

I would bet a GT86 is more "fun". Anyone can make a car really fast in a straight line. Rear anti roll bar won't account for the heavy engine WAY INFRONT of the front axle, which is what causes the understeer, combined with a pretty equal balance 4wd system.

I don't have a diesel anymore  :signLOL: :signLOL: but that was more fun than the RS3 as well, and was more "fun" than my GTI as too. 32psi of boost thank you!  :drool:

Offline Eddie07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 08:55:21 pm »
Having spoke to John at Awesome (and the asian dude too, cant think of his name or if he gave it), Pete at Prosport (revo) and BCS in St Helens I'm keeping the edition 30 and going nuts on it in January.

Still undecided what avenue to go down, but I know the numbers are going to be plus 300.

Offline Wardy91-ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 09:02:40 pm »
Well a map is 300 so anything else will be more lol. Sounds good  :happy2:

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 09:39:17 pm »
Harrogate VW? The Blue Golf R with recaro seats?
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 10:06:01 pm »
Was in Hurdys car today, honestly if you've got the cash to get the golf R, then do it and stick a loba 400 on it... wow seriously quick car and a lot of fun, I was laughing my arse off the whole time!!!