Make a donation

Author Topic: E46 BMW M3 What do you think of 'em?  (Read 17202 times)

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: E46 BMW M3 What do you think of 'em?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 02:41:53 pm »
they also suffer from diff's going on the m3, sounds almost like the wheel is rubbing on the back, they are really good on petrol s well considering the size engine they have got, would say it was on par with a mk5 gti on petrol, i raced my mate in his s4 that was running 370bhp and he struggled to keep up with me at the time, the m3's are quick all the way through the rev range so they wouldn't feel slower than a golf!!!! mine was mapped with a few mods but the mods gave it about an extra 20-30bhp so wasnt a huge gain, simpson motorsport in lydney in gloucester do supercharger kits for them starting from about 4k i beleive, and that should see 400+bhp, they also do a 500bhp+ supercharger kit as well, they have a demo car down there that belongs to one of the guys in the workshop, they are the guys to take it to if u ever needed any work done to it, as they are one of the best bmw tuning companies around, they also do a lot of race car work, and they also have a ferrari f40 race car of there own that they race so have been around the racing industry a long time and know how best to set the m3's up

http://www.simpsonmotorsport.co.uk/default.asp?id=1&pid=1&name=Home

Wow, that was a really long sentence...   :wink:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 06:54:46 pm by bacillus »
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 06:28:09 pm »
^ I envy your housing arrangements ED30 if you live opposite a girl that drives an E46 M3!

She is quite tasty aswel  :laugh:
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 09:42:15 pm »
E46 M3....fantastic engine and a proper coupe that is robust and you can get all of your family and stuff in the boot too...bit like a Golf then!

Been there too but not for long. They are so different in their delivery. Much less torque @262lbs peak and they rarely make anywhere near the factory 338bhp same as the 321bhp E36 Evo's. Most BMW tuners I've spoken too all say the same. It's a bit like the V8 RS4/R8 engines...few make 414bhp...APS state more like 390's and a full house Milltek, induction and map sees 414bhp :surprised:

Lovely noise and chassis is sublim but brakes are poo.

Big buck's to mod but I'd skip power upgrade's and go Bilstein/KW chassis together with AP big brakes....proper ring car with Inter's.

Can't really compare directly with a OE Ed30 but a full stage 2 Ed30 will give an M3 a real run for it's money.

Off the mark RWD gives an M3 the edge but the mid range thump of a stage 1 or 2 mapped Ed 30 will give it a clean pair of heals. I thought my Golf as it is now feels so much more alive due to torque and bhp/ton advantage. Mine even sounds as good only because of the exhaust but as John says you need to do your homework buying one especially cheap high milers.

Because of the market at mo nice examples have gone back up! :surprised:

Servicing costs can be reduced out of main dealer network but you still don't want to skimp and they are in another league cost wise especially Insp 1 and 2's!

Good car but not a great anymore IMO what with everything moving on with technology and chassis advances .

Track prepping one costs a fortune! :scared:  
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 09:45:09 pm by Msportman »
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 11:43:52 pm »
Ohhhh don't tempt meeeeeeeeeee!!  :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 08:56:10 am »
Funny enough my mate just bought an 04 M3 with csl boot, bonnet and alloys.
Stunning car and great build quality. Pace wise a 2+ TFSI stays with them no probs  :booty:
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3
VW California 180 DSG "Candy"!

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 09:15:16 pm »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............

I've found a nice example........

I've done an insurance quote...........

I'm test driving one this weekend.........

:innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 09:31:42 pm »
noooooooooooo :sick:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 10:41:46 pm »
m3 power delivery is completely different, They arent that fast though and a stage 2 plus k04 is quicker. M3 is the better overall car dynamically, whilst the k04 car is better economical and day to day.

Modified vs standard is a moot argument though, you could just modify the other car and it would be quicker. Turbo/supercharge the M3 and it would beat the GTI/Leon, big turbo conversion the GTI/Leon and strip it and it would beat the M3....could go on and on!

Not everyone wants to have to modify there car, i dont. Buying a car that was made to do those speeds from new, with parts that will do it all day without failing is more important to me (apart from the early models dodgy SMG lol)

Swings and roundabouts really.

I saw it like this.

E46 M3 aint exactly bulletproof, and expensive to service and repair.

K04 VAG can kick out 360hp after a 20.5 grand investment (going by a std cupra costing 18k) which will allow it to run with cars over twice the price. So you can have a brand new car, that costs as much as a used E46 M3, but is quicker. For me its all about the bang for buck.

Plus at the end of the day, you can pretty much have as much power as you want out of any engine, as long as your wallet can accomodate it.

Peskarik

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 07:15:48 pm »

C'mon, Phil, just like with tuning GTI being blasphemy, once you get M3 you'll be the biggest fan.  :grin:

Peskarik

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 07:16:48 pm »
m3 power delivery is completely different, They arent that fast though and a stage 2 plus k04 is quicker. M3 is the better overall car dynamically, whilst the k04 car is better economical and day to day.

Modified vs standard is a moot argument though, you could just modify the other car and it would be quicker. Turbo/supercharge the M3 and it would beat the GTI/Leon, big turbo conversion the GTI/Leon and strip it and it would beat the M3....could go on and on!

Not everyone wants to have to modify there car, i dont. Buying a car that was made to do those speeds from new, with parts that will do it all day without failing is more important to me (apart from the early models dodgy SMG lol)

Swings and roundabouts really.

I saw it like this.

E46 M3 aint exactly bulletproof, and expensive to service and repair.

K04 VAG can kick out 360hp after a 20.5 grand investment (going by a std cupra costing 18k) which will allow it to run with cars over twice the price. So you can have a brand new car, that costs as much as a used E46 M3, but is quicker. For me its all about the bang for buck.

Plus at the end of the day, you can pretty much have as much power as you want out of any engine, as long as your wallet can accomodate it.

sure, but M3 will still be M3

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 07:47:04 pm »
Exactly.

''What do you drive?''

''Oh its a leon/golf 'insert hatchback here'.....no, but, it is tuned so will go really quickly''

''oh ok''

or

''What do you drive?''

''M3''

''Nice''

Nuff said really

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2009, 09:22:44 pm »

C'mon, Phil, just like with tuning GTI being blasphemy, once you get M3 you'll be the biggest fan.  :grin:

Sorry Bmw M3's are driven my c*cks in this country imo or they are a c*ck extension.

Id be down cash converters imediatly if i was given it.

Sorry , dont like them in the slightest.

Imo of course
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 10:13:34 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 09:28:20 pm »
....or some might even be driven by enthusiasts ...
clearly youve never driven one, just an uninformed rant  :booty:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2009, 09:32:42 pm »

C'mon, Phil, just like with tuning GTI being blasphemy, once you get M3 you'll be the biggest fan.  :grin:

Sorry Bmw M3's are driven my c*cks in this country imo or they are a c*ck extension.

Id be down cash converters imediatly if i was given it.

Sorry , dont like them in the slightest.

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2009, 09:33:47 pm »
....or some might even be driven by enthusiasts ...
clearly youve never driven one, just an uninformed rant  :booty:
indeed IMO , just dont like most Bmw drivers in general, mainly their type of driving style  john. Alot seem to think they are better then you and will cut you up, (mostly M or de-badge'd BM's.)

We are intitled to have rants on other drivers of other makes, just high performance BMW's are driven by some inconsiderate ....s