Make a donation

Author Topic: Quick question R32 xenons  (Read 3506 times)

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Quick question R32 xenons
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 10:44:52 pm »
@Rado-Steve : My car already has headlight washers  :smiley: so would just need the auto leveling

Auto levelling isn't mandatory with xenons so you don't have to fit it if you don't want to.

Yes it is......hence why they come with it  :stupid:

No it's not
You can run the Xenons perfectly happily without the automatic levelling. You just don't have in car adjustment
For the purposes of the MOT you don't need automatic levelling either.

Offline STV4R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 09:32:16 am »
@Eddie07
Tried them numbers mate, they have none. Thanks though

Offline Eddie07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 02:23:15 pm »
@Eddie07
Tried them numbers mate, they have none. Thanks though

ahhh sorry dude. I've just bought some R32 calipers off them as there breaking 1. If I see anything I'll let you know

Offline Rado-Steve

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 02:27:48 pm »
@Rado-Steve : My car already has headlight washers  :smiley: so would just need the auto leveling

Auto levelling isn't mandatory with xenons so you don't have to fit it if you don't want to.

Yes it is......hence why they come with it  :stupid:

No it's not
You can run the Xenons perfectly happily without the automatic levelling. You just don't have in car adjustment

Think you'll find the current MOT guidlines for cars fitted with Xenon or Gas Discharge lighting system, require  headlamp washers & self-levelling equipment to be fitted.

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

Also taken from the AA's website:

Lighting

Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators,
Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.
HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high so car manufacturers must fit headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. A car will fail if a mandatory headlamp cleaning or levelling system is missing, doesn't work or is obviously defective.
Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.
If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail.

TBF...I Think the MOT guidelines can be taken 2 ways!  A Friendly MOT Tester is always a Must really! Had similar issue with my Passat having no Side Repeaters, but as its US Spec it never had them from new! My MOT tester lists it as an advisory every year  :evilgrin:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:34:14 pm by Rado-Steve »

Offline Luka

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 11:18:32 pm »
@Rado-Steve : My car already has headlight washers  :smiley: so would just need the auto leveling

No it's not

Think you'll find the current MOT guidlines for cars fitted with Xenon or Gas Discharge lighting system, require  headlamp washers & self-levelling equipment to be fitted.

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

Lighting

Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators,
Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.
HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high so car manufacturers must fit headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. A car will fail if a mandatory headlamp cleaning or levelling system is missing, doesn't work or is obviously defective.
Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.
If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail.

TBF...I Think the MOT guidelines can be taken 2 ways!  A Friendly MOT Tester is always a Must really! Had similar issue with my Passat having no Side Repeaters, but as its US Spec it never had them from new! My MOT tester lists it as an advisory every year  :evilgrin:

Sorry buddy, incorrect.

Section 1.7 - Headlamps

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.   Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems.  In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.

If it's got them they have to work. They do not have to have them.
Sold - 2006 Tornado Red GTI 3dr

Offline martin@gti.co.uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 02:24:55 am »
You need to have at least headlight harness, then code it as it isnt plug and play. Plus the headlights will be automaticly at lowest point as the self test will not work. You have to wire them to your headlight level tyristor so you can level them manualy. If you try to adjust them otherwise than via vcds or other on group 55 and adaptation via channel 01 you will break the lugs. For that they need to be wired in to a k-line. And as mentioned might not pass mot. That depends as there is many dodgy hid blinding cars as it is.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 11:47:15 am »
Ok so i've found a set of R32 xenon headlights including the phillips bulbs, the ballasts, ignitors etc.. and are in good working condition.
The only thing is there is a small crack in the side of one of the headlights. Would this cause any problems and can it be fixed?
Or will it be ok?
The guy said i can have them for £320 what do think? is it worth it with the small crack in one of them?

£320 for a set today, one slightly damaged?  :confused:

I paid £360 (delivered & ready to fit, covered 30k miles allegedly) for a genuine set from an .:R32 yonks back, probably late 2009/early 2010 IIRC?
This was an eBay deal and at the time was a reasonable price, not ground breaking.

I'm not sure your getting your side of the deal there, if I was absolutely honest dude? Up to you, personally I'd scope out another set that's ready to go and intact  :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 10:54:17 pm »

No it's not

Lighting

I have covered this to death in the past but long story short is I have written confirmation from VOSA stating you do not need washers or levelling with HID headlights. All that matters is the beam pattern is correct.

Offline marko

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 11:48:01 pm »
Drivers side xenon is giving me some lip tonight..start car they are working,then few pass and drivers one goes out.if i set switch back to sidelights and return to dips the bulb will ignite again but go off few minutes later...anyone have this issue before????....I'm guessing its the igniter not the bulb...where can these parts be got for decent money????
2007 TR gt170...heated leather,underseat drawers,auto-levelling bi-xenons,puddle leds,chrome switches,footwell lights f+r,cruise control and ed30 rear lamps,LED interior....carbon highline clocks,ed30 front spoiler,RNS 510 P+MDI,mk6 gti gearknob,TPMS done,complete r32 trim kit+ MFSW,r32 f+r brakes,RLS fitted.headlamp washers,folding mirrors and boot pop,mk6 RVC,19"Helios,AP coilies,valeo LEDs  ...dpf delete and remap to finish off

Offline martin@gti.co.uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2013, 11:10:30 am »
Sounds like ballast more than igniter(starter)