Make a donation

Author Topic: th3_f15t '07 GTI  (Read 68046 times)

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
Re: th3_f15t '07 GTI
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2014, 06:43:14 pm »
Cheers man. Was looking at damper adjustables but people suggested these, then AmD offer free fitting on all Bilstein so I took that as a sign it was meant to be.

May fit anti roll bars, anti lift kit and rear S3 brakes when I start moving into stage 2 tuning territory, but first my interior...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 09:23:19 pm by th3_f15t »

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline TommyR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 20
  • Black Edition 30
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2014, 08:51:55 pm »
Yh I went for B14's as on a road car I didn't see the point in adjustable dampers... It's all about fit and forget :happy2:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2014, 05:44:20 pm »
Just a quick update with photos coming soon, but the Bilstein B14's are fitted and being run in. Also fitted a new front grill but yet to sort the bonnet out. Only photo at this time is the one AmD Tuning took.

Better update coming soon...

Offline K1NGY14

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2014, 06:34:15 pm »
This is lovely mate.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2014, 06:41:20 pm »
Cheers mate. Still a way to go till she's where I want her to be but progressing nicely.

Offline TommyR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Black Edition 30
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2014, 07:09:30 pm »
Hope they are wound all the way down...

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2014, 07:14:39 pm »
Hell no! Wouldn't be WRC edition if they were. :P I like them at 30mm at the moment, may drop to 40/35mm at a later stage once they're bedded in, will tweak it to find the right handling profile for my driving. Need to get to my test circuit.

Offline TommyR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Black Edition 30
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2014, 08:00:14 pm »
Haha I'm sure either way you will enjoy them! :party:

Offline Joshryan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2014, 04:02:33 pm »
Good work mate. Any more future plans?

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2014, 09:04:36 pm »
Loads, but the rest of this year is mainly focused around the interior and cosmetic issues now. I reckon from Q1 2015 I'll start sorting more of the chassis and transmission out.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2014, 09:19:07 pm »
So a bit more of a detailed update. Had AmD Tuning fit a set of Bilstein B14 coilovers and the ECS Tuning top mount kit (which is really just Audi TTS/RS3 top mounts up front and OEM rear top mounts). My short review of the kits combined is that the car drives better than stock along the motorway and around corners it’s on another world. Obviously I can’t compare the kit fairly at this time for two reason, firstly I’ve only just fitted it so honeymoon stage isn’t over and it’s still bedding in and secondly this is the first time I’ve ever run coilovers so I’m going to be bias towards them. But as a sub £1000 (well nearly!) investment, it’s well worth it.

Also decided to begin the exterior cosmetic upgrades by fitting my JOM de-badged front grill with accompanying pressed plate on magnets. Also run pressed plates out back with an ABT surround, will need to sort it before I take any pictures though as it’s off to one side and bugs the hell out of me. Can’t put imperfect pictures up online, would be shameful. The magnet mod for the plate works a treat, £15 of parts all in (magnets, felt, super glue and some gorilla tape) and it’s certainly changed the front end. However now I’m not sure I like my alloy style with the front, it’s a clash of euro style with motor sport theme in my eyes and I’m unsure on it. Already looking at swapping alloys to something like BBS LM (well, reps as I’m poor) or the new Wolfrace Roadster (yet to be put on sale). Also going to fit my Edition 30 front splitter before making a real decision on wheels.

Picture time…

Currently sat at the highest setting, 30mm drop over stock. Will let the dampers bed in a bit and see how she handles around my local proving ground before adjusting the height a bit. May drop a further 5-10mm but I don’t like it when I can’t see the top of the tyre in the arch.

My second GTI steering wheel is off to the trimmers to get done up, will post pictures of when it’s back and then fitted in the car. Next month will be leather interior upgrade time along with a full audio upgrade. Running all the speakers off of an external amp as my Kenwood head unit is, frankly, pants. I may try and begin sorting my ED30 splitter too but that’s a low priority right now, need to sort my interior as I’m fed up of not having a room at work to live in! Crap corner is back with a vengeance…

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2014, 10:13:34 pm »
After some messing about on image editing software...

Offline TForrest94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2014, 12:58:11 am »
Car looks lovely mate and I enjoy the updates, really need to sit down and had a good write up for mine once I've moved and can finally blow the dust off my PC

Big commitment wih the coils and too mounts! I'm gonna be stuck with fk once I get around to getting them fitted!
I see what you mean about the clashes in style but can't help but think it's because of the height of the car? Once it gets wound down a little bit it has the potential to blend to two styles no? If not Lms are a great choice and I was looking at grabbing a set of reps for mine as well :/

I'd be wary of the plate surround if your not matching upfront but that's just my OCD I think

Will be keeping a look out for your audio write up as I'm considering this soon!  :happy2:

Its just a way of life.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2014, 11:58:33 am »
Car looks lovely mate and I enjoy the updates, really need to sit down and had a good write up for mine once I've moved and can finally blow the dust off my PC

Big commitment wih the coils and too mounts! I'm gonna be stuck with fk once I get around to getting them fitted!
I see what you mean about the clashes in style but can't help but think it's because of the height of the car? Once it gets wound down a little bit it has the potential to blend to two styles no? If not Lms are a great choice and I was looking at grabbing a set of reps for mine as well :/

I'd be wary of the plate surround if your not matching upfront but that's just my OCD I think

Will be keeping a look out for your audio write up as I'm considering this soon!  :happy2:

I will play with the height soon, but in my eyes it's the de-badge grill going down the Euro look which I'm growing more and more keen on. I'm probably just getting used to it, and need to finish off the other cosmetic stuff before I go further. The plate surround thing doesn't bother me (in terms of not using the front one) as I like the clean look. I'll probably produce a how-to guide for doing the audio when I'm done as I've not seen one yet.

Offline TForrest94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2014, 05:49:44 pm »
I'm not a brilliant fan of the debadge but personally the vw badge really sets the front off

What's the deal with the tts top mounts as well? Are they different to the normal tt ones? Or are they the same making them 30% stiffer? Where did you source the from also? Going to get my coils fitted within a couple of weeks and wanna replace those while I'm there

Its just a way of life.