Make a donation

Author Topic: Roof mounted DAB aerial and Parrot pin swap on RCD510  (Read 2730 times)

Offline parkysan

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Roof mounted DAB aerial and Parrot pin swap on RCD510
« on: January 15, 2014, 08:35:31 pm »
Hey all.

I recently replaced my RCD300 in my '06 GTi with an RCD510 with DAB. I had a great deal of assistance from this forum and especially Eddie-NL on the CAN bus upgrade so thanks to everyone.

Anyway, due to frequent DAB signal drop-outs, I'm now getting around to upgrading the aerial to a DAB, roof mounted and amplified one and have purchased this:

http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_DRA-6003_FM-AM_DAB_car_aerial.html

The cable supplied for the AM/FM aerial has a male DIN connector and obviously the RCD510 has a double Fakra socket, so what is the best way to convert these? I've seen plenty of single female DIN to Fakra adapters and double Fakra to male
DIN, but no adapters to connect the 510 to a male DIN.

On a related topic, my Parrot CK3100 also stopped working when I upgraded, but again thanks to this forum I've worked out why. The mute pin is in a different place on the 510 so I need to move it. The problem is however that firstly I can't seem to release the cable from the connector block, and secondly the connector it needs to move to is a lot smaller and so won't fit even if I could release it.

Any advice on both of the above issues would be appreciated, and in the meantime I'll post a couple of pics too.

Thanks in advance  :happy2:

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
Re: Roof mounted DAB aerial and Parrot pin swap on RCD510
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 08:44:47 pm »
buy a genuine vw one

just ordered one today

6R0035501A
6R0035849A

Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline Luka

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 09:15:25 pm »
buy a genuine vw one

just ordered one today

6R0035501A
6R0035849A

Do VW sell the appropriate extension?
Sold - 2006 Tornado Red GTI 3dr

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:17:27 pm »
extension cable 000 098 656
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline parkysan

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 09:26:41 pm »
buy a genuine vw one

just ordered one today

6R0035501A
6R0035849A

I have already purchased the aerial and cables, I just need to be able to connect the DIN cable to the AM/FM Fakra. If such an adapter doesn't exist then I'll just get the single adapter and connect the FM only as I never use AM anyway.

I'll also contact dabonwheels as they supplied the kit and assured me it would fit.

Offline parkysan

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 10:50:17 pm »
Anyone have any advice on getting the pins swapped too? I tried for 30 mins to get the old one out but had to stop before I ripped the whole loom out in frustration!  :evilgrin:

Offline parkysan

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 03:12:35 pm »
I've bought a female DIN to Fakra adapter as apparently you only need to connect on to get AM and FM as the left connector (looking at it from the rear) is FM2

Regarding the pin swap, I went into my local VW dealing to get a wire repair kit with the right sized pin but they weren't able to order me one as they wanted the reg number of the car my RCD510 came out of, rather than mine. I tried explaining but they weren't too helpful. I may just push the wire into the terminal block and cable tie it in place, although I'd prefer to source the correct connector if anyone knows where I can get one. I asked in my local car audio shop and they don't stock them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk