Make a donation

Author Topic: Is this a genuine VW front wing?  (Read 1381 times)

Offline holepunch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Is this a genuine VW front wing?
« on: December 28, 2013, 10:11:33 pm »
About 4 years back a John Lewis delivery driver decided to reverse into my parked 06 gti. After 9 months of chasing it was finally repaired however the dreaded rust has just appeared on the arch.

I can't remember if they replaced the wing or repaired it. Next week I'll pay my local dealer ( heritage bristol) a vist it to claim under the 12 paint warranty.  Previously they they have been very good and replaced 2 X monza II for corrosion and the timing chain + belt tensioners and water pump all under warranty.

However if even tho it's been repaired/replaced I still believe my claim is valid as  the repair was to a "VW" standard an inherent design fault is the root cause and would lead this problem no matter how the repair was undertaken.

I'd just like to know if anyone can confirm if these markings denote a genuine part, sorry about the crap picture. Small design details do match the other wing, as does the application of sealant but the part number marking is different.

This is the other wing which as far as I know (I'm the second owner) has never been repaired and isn't showing any sign of corrosion yet!

Thanks

Rob

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
Re: Is this a genuine VW front wing?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 08:48:44 am »
My answer would be yes - Never seen a wing stamped like that that wasn't
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline cuprajake

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,72567.0.html
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 10:11:43 am »
 Yes it's genuine.

But vw will or should check the depth of paint. If it doesn't match then they will throw out the claim.
Tornado red ed30 #0728

Offline skard

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 10:43:16 am »
The other thing being the wings have a MMYY date stamp on them, does that say 11/05? If that doesn't match the other side or approximate age of your car then they may use it against a claim.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 04:03:46 pm »
You say the initial repair was to a VW standard. Was it done by VW under their documented repair system or not, because if someone else did it, then the repair will be their responsibility, as will the warranty on the repaired parts. The fact that it's a VW wing is mildly irrelevant as it was simply a supplied part, unless VW fitted it and painted it.

I had some work done on my Bora a few years ago and all affected parts were then covered under the insurance/repair shops 5 year warranty. Any parts replaced or sprayed as a part of the claim were then removed from VW's warranty cover simply because they didn't do the work. And in fairness, why should they provide warranty cover for someone elses work?
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline holepunch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 10:12:54 pm »
Thanks for the responses.

The repair wasn't done by VW but by a very well regarded repair body shop. Their warranty only covered me for 2 years.

The way I see it is that it's a VW design fault that is a the root cause and so should be liable to repair. The rust issue would occur no matter who repaired it or if it was the original paint.

I fully expect to not to win this battle but it's worth a go!