Make a donation

Author Topic: Advice please .... Child seats in a mkv ed30  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Jonathon555

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Advice please .... Child seats in a mkv ed30
« on: December 27, 2013, 06:48:47 pm »
Long story short ......

We go to pick an ED30 for the wife and we have 2 to choose from on the forcourt 5 door Dsg or 3 door manual ......

We pick 3 door because she likes a manual  , collect the car 3 weeks later and then find out on collection day we have our first child on the way .  :laugh:

So now time has passed and we need to start getting things bought for the imminent arrival.

We have been tho the shops today to look at baby car seats, isofix , non isofix , both options
Maxi cosi, recaro, cybex, britax, ......

But my head is now fried !!!! They all look the same

I thought we needed a backwards facing seat that we could fit in the front passenger seat by switching the airbag off. But the lady in the shops said we could not fit a baby seat in that position as the airbag will still deploy in a big crash even if turned off.

The wife does not fancy continually lifting the seat into the rear, so what do we do ? Will the airbag deploy even if switched off ????

Or do we really need a 5 door ( just looked back at the dealers where the golf come from, the only options they have for us is an RS4 or R32 don't fancy £500 year tax) an we like the ED30

Any advice appreciated

Offline fab5freddy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
Re: Advice please .... Child seats in a mkv ed30
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 07:15:44 pm »
As said airbag won't deploy if switched off, but I was advised you should never put the baby in the front.

You want your child as safe as possible at all times.

Personally I think you need a 5 door, but think a few on here manage with 3  :happy2:

And congratulations  :congrats:

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 07:22:16 pm »
I have a 3dr ED30 and a baby coming in a few weeks. My solution was to buy the wife a Tiguan.

But in all seriousness, I bought a BeSafe Izy Go car seat with an ISO base, whilst I can cope with it for the times I will use it,  would not like to keep putting a baby in the back of a 3dr. Ultimately I will be selling mine due to lack of use.

Pretty sure you can't legally put a rear facing seat in the front anyway?
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Gide76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 07:34:07 pm »
I've had a few cars with the kids (now 4 and 6). All 5 doors with the exception of a TT that I subsequently had to sell as my son HATED the back seats.

8l a3Audi t sport (useless back doors)
B6 a4 sport - ok but not great access or boot
8p sportback tdi sport - good access
B5.5 Passat estate sport - good but soooo dull
And now the 5 door gti.

Without doubt the golf is the best due to the height and size of the doors plus when they are not in it I can enjoy it.

Personally I would definitely go for a 5 door especially when they are little. My partner has a 3 door focus and was always (and still is) a pain getting in and out. That said my partner has always coped well with the focus although she is only 5ft2 so access is easier.

Would love an edition 30 but would go for a 5 door. Sorry if the doesn't help:)

Good luck and congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jonathon555

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 07:39:17 pm »
Thanks for the replys so far ...

I have the 5 door car a Range Rover , but the wife won't bloody well drive it as she says it too big. So no car swap there.

The law says its ok to have a baby in the front passenger seat, i have just checked.

But if she struggles i may need to change the 3 door.

Unfortunatley

Just not sure what for

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 07:53:49 pm by Jonathon555 »

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 08:00:12 pm »
Good old internet has a conflict of info then...

"Children up to 3 years old

In the Front Seat

The child MUST use the correct child restraint.

It is illegal to carry a child in a rear-facing child seat in the front, which is protected by an active frontal airbag."

Whether that means full stop, or only without an active dash airbag, not sure.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Jonathon555

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 08:02:49 pm »
Good old internet has a conflict of info then...

"Children up to 3 years old

In the Front Seat

The child MUST use the correct child restraint.

It is illegal to carry a child in a rear-facing child seat in the front, which is protected by an active frontal airbag."

Whether that means full stop, or only without an active dash airbag, not sure.

This is why my head is fried !!!!

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 08:32:18 pm »
Definitive answer. You can put any child in the front seat in the correct seat for their age weight. If an air bag if fitted it must be turned off while any child seat is in place. Wether front or rear facing or just a booster. The reason for this is the deployment of an airbag is a violent action and can cause children serious injuries. If it is turned off via the key it WILL NOT activate in the event of a crash.

You may be getting the hint that I work in a certain area of law and you would be right. As far as the back is safe argument, that's all well and good until you get rear ended at speed. The safest place in the car is the furthest point from the actual accident so for arguments sake the rear centre seat if it's fitted with a 3 point seatbelt is good but let's not split hairs. The stage 1 seats are rear facing and will fit in any seat. The isoffix are just a quicker way to fit the seat for more expense. When it comes to stage 2 seats the 5 point harness jobbies the choice it more limited as if you intend to put a seat in to a recaro bucket style seat they don't fit properly. The best one I found for this was a recaro sprout seat. They are about £140 but look awesome the your car as they are badged recaro and a great quality.

I went through all this as I could not fit a standard stage 2 seat in my s3. Now I have an R32 and a mk5 gti the same issue is still there hence the research was done well

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 09:31:05 pm »
Congratulations  :congrats:

With regards to seats etc.. 'Beddie' has had to make this recent choice and has some sound advice that i shall be asking him about again when my time comes.  :signLOL:
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=rnkm9q3l2d7pcrlmbpkl1ko79d&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 09:37:35 pm »
Fortunately mines a 5 door so mrs richwig83 can't tell me to sell it on grounds of impracticability  :signLOL:

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 09:39:14 pm »
Fortunately mines a 5 door so mrs richwig83 can't tell me to sell it on grounds of impracticability  :signLOL:

Likewise, thankfully  :signLOL:
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 01:08:13 am »
Well it all depends how much you like the car and 3 doors ? If you love the car so much you will deal with it .
However I will say that the mk5 3 door is one of the hardest cars to access the rear comfortably that I've owned.

I will also say the first few months are the most difficult when you have to use one of those rear facing seats, but if you can get over that it's not so bad when the fixed seats are used

I sold my 3 door and bought a 5 door it done my box in that much!
I'm back on a 3 door now and my mrs just had another baby a couple of weeks ago and again access isn't the best - but I just use the Volvo for family duties now.

I've got the recaro young sport - great seat
And the tiny baby seat is one of the silver cross Carry seats you get with there buggy pram systems - pain in the ass !
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline cander83

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 10:08:42 am »
I have the five door edition 30 ... we purchased the recaro young profi plus , amazing seat with suffix base . Can be fixed with belt too. The gd thing about the rector is it extends ,my wee guy is 8 months and is only soon the second click of adjustment.. hope this helps

Offline Marc-5-GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 01:43:15 pm »
I can't comment on the child seats other than my sister has three kids and used to have a rear facing in the front... But congratulations!!
3dr Reflex Silver GTI | BBS VZ | Eibach Sportlines | Cumbria