Make a donation

Author Topic: K & N Filter ??  (Read 1156 times)

bov35

K & N Filter ??
« on: April 04, 2014, 06:18:20 pm »
I'm having a stage 1 remap on my stock '07 GTi, and there's been some talk of adding a K&N filter at the same time. Anybody give me any advice as to whether it's worth it please? Considering the cleaning and drying it needs at every service, will the gains be worth it over a standard throwaway filter?

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
Re: K & N Filter ??
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 06:23:10 pm »
Gray had one on his GTI and it have him 5bhp iirc on JKM rollers and his was standard at the time so can't see the gains being much with a stage 1 map. To be honest most people just stick with the normal one

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 03:50:08 pm »
Gray had one on his GTI and it have him 5bhp iirc on JKM rollers and his was standard at the time so can't see the gains being much with a stage 1 map. To be honest most people just stick with the normal one

That's right. Certainly more responsive with it, an Niki mentioned it flowed slightly better with it.

I may get one for the Ed30, or a Pipercross.
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 04:21:59 pm »
I run a K&N air filter in my intake, it makes a different in the very low revs when driving around town, makes the engine smoother and happier to roll along at almost idle. I'm very happy with my K&N filter, and the simple fact of washing it over having to completely replace it every time means in 3 services you've got your money back over paper ones.

Just so you know, with a K&N filter, a GFB DV+ valve and an exhaust I managed to reach 266 BHP and 305 ft/lb torque. :driver:

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 11:43:36 pm »
Id opt for either standard or pipercross. BTCC cars use pipercross as they flow better but also filter better than cotton gauze.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box