Make a donation

Author Topic: What is the point of going over 300bhp on a front wheel drive?  (Read 15340 times)

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
Re: What is the point of going over 300bhp on a front wheel drive?
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2014, 04:22:11 pm »
This is why with 4WD you just simply add more power that a Fwd wouldn't be able to cope with.  :wink:

lol didn't see this cheeky boy!
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2014, 03:05:42 am »
0-60 times mean nothing to me, I can't say i've ever hoofed my car in first gear, second gear onwards is where the fun is

In the dry I spin in second, but third and fourth are ok

Got some Assy 2's ready to go on and then the usual ARBs, coilover/springs, SALK, diff etc will follow
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2

Offline toosmiles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92286.0.html
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2014, 11:06:58 am »
must admit though my cupra stage 2+ 370 bhp was quicker than my evo 8 410 bhp until over say 100mph and standing starts
Golf R mk6 R-tech tuned GTX3071r

Offline Wardy91-ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2014, 12:16:32 pm »
must admit though my cupra stage 2+ 370 bhp was quicker than my evo 8 410 bhp until over say 100mph and standing starts

Interesting that mate. I'd have thought it would be the other way around. As in the evo slowing down due to transmission losses after 100.

Offline toosmiles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92286.0.html
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2014, 03:30:19 pm »

Interesting that mate. I'd have thought it would be the other way around. As in the evo slowing down due to transmission losses after 100.
never noticed my evo slowing down lol,maybe when you take your foot off the accelerator hehe
Golf R mk6 R-tech tuned GTX3071r

Offline flatout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2014, 08:40:03 pm »
My 362 hp ed30 felt quicker than mymates 403 hp evo in gears deffo....
stage 2+ Grey Ed30..DSG 362 BHP.380 lb/ft.....Also Statller Tuned :)

Offline Wardy91-ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2014, 10:09:34 pm »
My 362 hp ed30 felt quicker than mymates 403 hp evo in gears deffo....

Yeah I'd have thought so too

Offline gobbleplease

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2014, 03:14:05 pm »
With 360bhp and linear throttle mapping it copes perfectly well, depending on driver throttle inputs - you just need to learn the car and know when you can apply full throttle. I would tend to agree with hurdy though in the sense that a big turbo on this car would be wasted money, however going down this route again if still be looking to achieve 360 ish bhp - it suits the cars ability a well with a few choice mods.
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2014, 03:48:15 pm »
With 360bhp and linear throttle mapping it copes perfectly well, depending on driver throttle inputs - you just need to learn the car and know when you can apply full throttle. I would tend to agree with hurdy though in the sense that a big turbo on this car would be wasted money, however going down this route again if still be looking to achieve 360 ish bhp - it suits the cars ability a well with a few choice mods.

^^^^ This.

My Eddy is very docile with its linear map both while pottling around town or plodding along the motorway. Its when pushing on HARD you start to think........mmmmmm 4WD would be nice.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2014, 09:26:18 pm »
I have a MK2 16v which has 205 bhp and just overb 160lbs of torque....I run it with Dunlop D01J's or Yoko Advans. It weigh's just over 1000kg with seats out on low fuel.....and I use absolutely 100% of it's power pretty much 100% of the time lap after lap at Combe and I manage to pedal it at 1.21-1.22 per lap on a nice warmish day when the tyres are at their optimum.

I have never replicated these times in my Edition running stage 2 power (on my old car) but mainly this is down to two things....brakes and a differential. Even running 330+ bhp means careful management of these power levels.It is crucial to get the full benefit of these power levels adding in these items. Boost out of corners using the diff can be better modulated to maximise traction especially on Inters. I also ran the Edition on Inter's but I only ever managed to get to within 2-3 seconds of my valver. Much of the time lost was also heat soak due to lack of a big I/C and big brakes where you leave braking very late.

I have just brought the MK2 out of hibernation for the summer and will look forward to the summer track season. My view now in hindsight over my old Edition is keep it at stage 1 and with the handling enhancements I may put the big brake kit on but leave it at that for road use only. It is such a big investment that will necessiate a clutch, diff, APR fuel pump, exhaust new mapping, intercooler, VWR intake, runner flap delete etc + labour  and this all adds up to £8-9k with the brakes!! It's just not worth it for a 50bhp upgrade....it's dead money on resale and the costs don't add up in my book. In it's current form running 310+ it's good enough.
As Hurdy states going over 300bhp  to benefit 4wd going 400bhp you really will notice the difference.....bit like going from standard on an Edition 30 to stage 1 such is the gain.

I may change to an SQ5 and just keep the MK2 as my fun car although if I wanted massive pound per buck I'd take a GTR .  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 09:31:54 pm by Msportman »
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2014, 12:26:43 pm »
I have a MK2 16v which has 205 bhp and just overb 160lbs of torque....I run it with Dunlop D01J's or Yoko Advans. It weigh's just over 1000kg with seats out on low fuel.....and I use absolutely 100% of it's power pretty much 100% of the time lap after lap at Combe and I manage to pedal it at 1.21-1.22 per lap on a nice warmish day when the tyres are at their optimum.

I have never replicated these times in my Edition running stage 2 power (on my old car) but mainly this is down to two things....brakes and a differential. Even running 330+ bhp means careful management of these power levels.It is crucial to get the full benefit of these power levels adding in these items. Boost out of corners using the diff can be better modulated to maximise traction especially on Inters. I also ran the Edition on Inter's but I only ever managed to get to within 2-3 seconds of my valver. Much of the time lost was also heat soak due to lack of a big I/C and big brakes where you leave braking very late.

I have just brought the MK2 out of hibernation for the summer and will look forward to the summer track season. My view now in hindsight over my old Edition is keep it at stage 1 and with the handling enhancements I may put the big brake kit on but leave it at that for road use only. It is such a big investment that will necessiate a clutch, diff, APR fuel pump, exhaust new mapping, intercooler, VWR intake, runner flap delete etc + labour  and this all adds up to £8-9k with the brakes!! It's just not worth it for a 50bhp upgrade....it's dead money on resale and the costs don't add up in my book. In it's current form running 310+ it's good enough.
As Hurdy states going over 300bhp  to benefit 4wd going 400bhp you really will notice the difference.....bit like going from standard on an Edition 30 to stage 1 such is the gain.

I may change to an SQ5 and just keep the MK2 as my fun car although if I wanted massive pound per buck I'd take a GTR .  

Do you have linear throttle mapping on your Ed30? that should help to make it more managable
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2014, 07:40:08 pm »

Do you have linear throttle mapping on your Ed30? that should help to make it more managable

Yes I believe so...it was done by GTI Engineering before I bought the car off a chap in F1. It feels super smooth and easily as good if not better than my old APR Stage 1 map some years ago on my first Ed30.
Having a large spike in torque at the beginning of the delivery doesn't help traction....it just overwhelm's the front end. However on track with big traction from Inter's I found the Edition much better and could easily cope with 360+ with a good diff, Inter's and good camber adjustment. I had everything bar the diff.....it's a worthwhile investment. I've got a make a decision whether to go the whole hog and track the Edition regularly or just invest that money into something else.
My local stealer is trying to get me into their Golf R demo at the end of the month!! Interested in this but also have the RS4 / TTRS/ or B8S4 E92 M3 itch as well.A GTR would be nice but not right now. As for the best overall track car of these I suspect the M3 and TTRS may be slugging it out. RS4 is a bit heavy but I just love the look of them and all weather capability.
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline Pikey Motorsports

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2014, 11:43:46 pm »

370hp cupra faster to 100 then a 400hp evo? no chance.. cupra would be abit quicker after 100 possibly
TSR PERFORMANCE GTX30 520BHP
LITCHFIELD R35 GT-R 660BHP
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

Offline Markyed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2014, 12:05:40 am »

370hp cupra faster to 100 then a 400hp evo? no chance.. cupra would be abit quicker after 100 possibly

The way I read it his cupra is slower at standing starts and over 100 mph?

Offline Pikey Motorsports

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2014, 01:26:11 am »

The way I read it his cupra is slower at standing starts and over 100 mph?

missed the standing starts bit.. but anywhere upto a 100 a cupra would struggle against a 400+ evo
TSR PERFORMANCE GTX30 520BHP
LITCHFIELD R35 GT-R 660BHP
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP