Make a donation

Author Topic: Newbie - Buying Guide?  (Read 870 times)

electroblisio

Newbie - Buying Guide?
« on: December 23, 2013, 04:53:45 pm »
Hi all

Just joined the site today.  Sadly I don't own a gti yet but I am hunting for one.
I currently drive a Honda S2000 which is a brilliant car, though I now need 5 doors, a bigger boot and solid roof for my snowboards!
I've had a look on this forum and was wondering if there is a buyers guide showing what to look for when inspecting a gti?

I've seen the usual buyers guide's sites like whatcar, autoexpress etc give but from my experience on the S2000 forum nothing beats the info forum members and enthusiasts can provide.

Any links to threads on this site that I missed would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Offline Tortaruga

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
Re: Newbie - Buying Guide?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 11:34:43 pm »
There isn't a buyers guide here. It would be very useful...

Really there aren't any serious problems with the mk5. Plenty of niggles though to keep you out of the missus.
'07 Red manual

Offline VEA

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 01:42:43 pm »
Hello,

I too am a newbie, been told to look out for a few things already on here, might help.

Things to look out for on all the 2.0L TFSI cars K03 and K04:

Diverter Valve (DV), these can split leaking boost, straight forward job £35 part - most performance related issues are down to this.

Rusting wheel arches, foam behind the liner gets water saturated and rubs aginst the arch and rusts from within.
Cam Follower, these can wear on high milers and tuned cars, straight forward job and £30 part

PCV (Positive Crank case ventilation), can leak and need replacing, very easy job £35 part

FSH is ideal, especially cam belt/pump

Shamelessly stollen from Scottymon on my newbie thread.

Offline skriller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 09:01:20 am »
^^^^

That's some really good advice!
DSG No.0106 T Red