Make a donation

Author Topic: APR or R-Tech for stage 1 on my Edition 30?  (Read 9768 times)

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
Re: APR or R-Tech for stage 1 on my Edition 30?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 07:12:11 pm »
Anyone got the switchable option from R-Tech?

How does it work? Also interested as to the linear throttle option? - Any feed back on this from anyone?

:driver:

Not heard any feedback on it. He will set it up and you can have a play to see what you think. The linear throttle is 1:1 where as the other mainstream tuners are not quite 1:1.

Linear throttle makes it easier to drive as to get full throttle you put your foot to the floor rather than like 1/2 way down as you do on stock throttle mapping  :happy2:

Again, he will upload it and you can decide whether you want it or not
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Leigh200sx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 06:18:23 am »
I think the major difference between all these tuners is revo,amd,shark,giac,Apr and r-tech is simple only at r-tech will you get a custom wrote map specific to your car and not a generic stage file like all the others... That it self is the reason for using Niki Gower

Offline Simmo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 08:58:00 am »
I was thinking about a Revo map before I read the other comments on R Tech. Ive been used to the drive up quick dyno, upload the map drive off approach. After seeing the amount of precision Nick went into making sure the map was 100% I would never go back. To be honest im no expert so dont know if the APR/GIAC/Revo maps are heavily customised to meet the actual car, I guess it depends on the tuner. From past experience (not JKM btw) it wasnt.

The way the ecu is tuned to match capabilities of the hardware is as critical as oil in the engine, if its wrong you may seriously damage your drivetrain. I  would always go custom every time.

Liam0205

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 09:09:43 pm »
Sorry to hijack but how much is a stage 1 remap on a dsg edition 30? Anyone know?

Offline Simmo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 09:26:41 pm »
Sorry to hijack but how much is a stage 1 remap on a dsg edition 30? Anyone know?

Depends on where you go, R tech is 290 for stage 1. Revo i think is 500 through tuners. Dont quote me on it but the pricing is on the websites.

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 09:43:03 pm »
Revo is £499 +Vat, but they do have offers now and again for 20/30% off.
R-tech have just sent me details of £290 stage 1 & £150 for a dsg map at the same time.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Liam0205

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 09:49:08 pm »

Depends on where you go, R tech is 290 for stage 1. Revo i think is 500 through tuners. Dont quote me on it but the pricing is on the websites.

Thanks. I meant to say through r tech

Liam0205

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 09:51:34 pm »
R-tech have just sent me details of £290 stage 1 & £150 for a dsg map at the same time.

Thanks mate. Is the DSG remap needed when getting stage 1?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5p3jmejnj6733c5rtnnlhmj3bi&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 10:01:50 pm »

Thanks mate. Is the DSG remap needed when getting stage 1?

No it isnt.

All it does it speed up the shifting, increase the clamping rate on the clutches and remove the auto up shift in Manual mode!  :happy2:

... ohh.. and increase the RPM limit!

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 10:06:16 pm »
I'm currently running a "custom* GTI Engineering / Morego map on my Ed30.

Super smooth and home of the GTI.

I have no loyalty to any one mapping company as I've had APR stage 1 , 1+ Stage 2 etc etc. This was back some 5 years ago...they have since bought several maps onto the scene to refine each code. I went with them as I know Jim at Awesome when I built a stage 3+ kit with them on a MKKIV. I also liked their R&D approach and have met Stephen Hook at a few UK track events some years ago. Their approach to hardware and engineering is of the highest engineering standards. They also own and supply Oettinger and supported VW Racing Germany and USA as well as UK.

I incidentally run Revo on our Audi A4 2 litre TDI....equally impressive.

I'm going back to APR only because I want their new stage 2+ software and RSC exhaust and VWR intake and fuel pump to complete the car. I already have a track weapon that I am yet to better with a MK5 even running 350+ bhp....a MK2 16V with "all" the right bits running 1000kg......it's the car Tim Stiles has in his GTI tuning bible that I have built with the VWR race engineers of old when TSR were building race winning VW cup cars...mine is based on one of those bar stell bottom end.

I didn't quite finished my previous Ed30 previously but this time I am going to go the whole hog...I've started with it's current set.

As for the maps they are pretty much of muchness but they do have subtle differences in delivery...I found both GTI Engineering and APR very smooth.
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5p3jmejnj6733c5rtnnlhmj3bi&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 10:08:32 pm »
You dont have to run APR software just becuase youve got their exhaust and HPFP

Offline GLIDN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2014, 03:38:11 am »

you are right there,

However, their new V3.4 software for K04'd cars is seriously impressive to say the least.
Miles ahead of there V3.1 or older software.

Plus now releasing their APR Mobile device.
You will be able to fault code scanning/erasing and data logging from your cell phone via bluetooth. Also MAP switching, locking/unlocking ECU etc.

I use APR myself as I know their products well, but also have an extremely good relationship with them.

you need to look at your tuners locally, what their reputation and servicing/knowledge is.
Then go down to the point of tuning software. There after you can start deciding who you want to represent.

Looking at APR post over the years, the only 2 real things that ever got mentioned were,

1. Either too expensive!!
2. Lower power than other tuners (strangely enough APR was never slower thou, go figure)

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 09:41:26 pm »

you are right there,

However, their new V3.4 software for K04'd cars is seriously impressive to say the least.
Miles ahead of there V3.1 or older software.

Plus now releasing their APR Mobile device.
You will be able to fault code scanning/erasing and data logging from your cell phone via bluetooth. Also MAP switching, locking/unlocking ECU etc.

I use APR myself as I know their products well, but also have an extremely good relationship with them.

you need to look at your tuners locally, what their reputation and servicing/knowledge is.
Then go down to the point of tuning software. There after you can start deciding who you want to represent.

Looking at APR post over the years, the only 2 real things that ever got mentioned were,

1. Either too expensive!!
2. Lower power than other tuners (strangely enough APR was never slower thou, go figure)

You're points at 1 and 2 are so true.

I took my old Ed30 to VWR when the were running Revo car's and they sampled my APR Stage 1 fuel pump map and their comments were that it was the nicest smoothest map they had experienced.....certainly my stage 2 car was good around Combe.

Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2014, 11:12:43 pm »
Sorry to those running Revo, but I've tried their latest map (aswell as having had their flat spot map for 18months on my own k04 car) and the latest APR 3.4 is noticeably better than Revo. More midrange, more on top, more drivable, and smoother.

Dyno graphs seem to back that up.

Red APR, orange Revo. Correction factor applied to APR car to account for cooler temps.

Same engine same mods, comparison done at at Revo dealer.

I haven't tried r-tech but have friends who run nicks maps and they seem happy, and nick is a nice guy.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:00:31 pm by Poverty »

Offline AndrewJB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • die gelbe Baron
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2014, 12:01:44 am »
The APR car in that test, The lad who owns it was a massive REVO fanboy then he sampled a APR car and never looked back
2014 Seat Leon Cupra 280 VWR Springs, VWR Intake, REVO Stage1
LeonOC.com & TDISport.com Administrator