Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk7 Golf R - Good lease deals..  (Read 17401 times)

Offline tkboyle

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Mk7 Golf R - Good lease deals..
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2014, 08:35:10 am »
It's worth pointing out that within the thread some people think it's over 3yrs but the advert is based on 2yrs.

If it was 6 months advance + 23 payments over three years term I'd be signing up today.

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 08:58:47 am »
You may not be able to afford a £30k car but you must still have a reasonable amount of disposable income to lease a high performance car eg BMW M5 is still going to cost you circa £500.00 pcm. If you have that money burning a hole in your pocket its a great way to drive round in a £70-80k car.

Plus, if you have it on a 2 year lease you dont have to worry about buying tyres for it or MOT'ing just give it back.

I dont think this argument is black and white - you have to accept that there are shades of grey - ie everyones personal circumstances, and indeed personal preferences mean that leasing for some will make sense and for others it wont.

Look at the lease deals on a new Skoda Octavia vrs for example - if you want the tdi saloon version can be had for less than £200.00 per month -- now at that price how on earth does it make it more sensible to buy it? It doesn't unless you think you will love the car so much that you will want to own it for 8-10 years, like some people on here will end up doing with their Mk5 Golfs  :happy2:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 09:51:15 am »
Let's be honest, though. Most people who do this DON'T have the £30K in the bank they just want everyone to think they own a brand new £30K car, when in fact they couldn't actually afford one!
As others have said, this is clearly rubbish. I could have bought my ED30 outright but at the time, changing to a new car every three years seemed more sensible. The only problem is that I fell in love with the ED30, couldn't bear to part with it and wasn't impressed by the MK6. In hindsight, knowing I was going to keep the car, it would have been better to have just purchased it outright.

I could go out today and drop £35k on a MK7 Golf R. I've toyed with the idea. I've also toyed with the idea of PCP again but this time actually to change it after three years. Leasing an M5 is fine provided you can afford the running costs. I know someone who had to get after six months because they couldn't afford the running costs - things like brake discs and pads were much higher than he'd anticipated.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline N8KOW

• Detailer - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 7
    • Kowalski Details
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 10:04:47 am »
It's a very interesting thread, also depends whether you want to own a brand new car or not, or prefer used. Added benefits with new is warranty and the fact its BRAND NEW. So the maintenance pack with that R is superb tbh, tyres, servicing and tax included.

IG: http://instagram.com/kowalskidetails
2014 Mk7 Golf R on Order...

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 10:53:02 am »
why dont we all enter pact and go for the deal and then we can compare our experiences after 2 years of ownership and whether we would, in hindsight, ever consider leasing again. Go....

Offline N8KOW

• Detailer - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Kowalski Details
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 11:09:07 am »
why dont we all enter pact and go for the deal and then we can compare our experiences after 2 years of ownership and whether we would, in hindsight, ever consider leasing again. Go....

If I wasn't buying a house this year, I'd jump on that Golf R deal now TBH.

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 11:30:34 am »
dont talk to me about houses buddy, my buyer has just dropped out with me already having spent over £400.00 on house going to buy but the survey has come back with about £7k of work needing doing too

Offline N8KOW

• Detailer - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Kowalski Details
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 11:32:33 am »
dont talk to me about houses buddy, my buyer has just dropped out with me already having spent over £400.00 on house going to buy but the survey has come back with about £7k of work needing doing too

Ha, doh!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 11:47:32 am »
To get a nice sporty car nowadays is bloody expensive, even family style newish Hot hatches are out of range for the majority of Joe public. These deals are realistically the only way you can get these cars new unless you commit to a decent size loan over 4 or 5 years which is a long time to be paying off a car and watch it depreciate every morning you wake up. And lets face it most of us get itchy feet and start looking for something new and shiny after 18 months.
These deals are great as long as you go in with your eyes wide open. Remember you are hiring the car and have to pay for all scratches and dings just like when you hand back a weekend renter, so two years of scrapes if you are unlucky could be costly.  :innocent: Also you need to take a really good luck at what you are going to be doing over the next two years. You might have a job just around the corner presently but if you get laid off and have to drive further for work you could come unstuck and be paying an awful lot for extra miles.

Saintsteve

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2014, 06:33:30 pm »
Does Wigit lease his cars as he changes his every 4 months when Vw bring something more shiny then the last?

Might be worth asking him why and how he's goes about it.

Offline N8KOW

• Detailer - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Kowalski Details
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2014, 06:35:55 pm »
Good points Top cat!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2014, 06:49:59 pm »
Does Wigit lease his cars as he changes his every 4 months when Vw bring something more shiny then the last?

Think he buys them as he mods the hell out of them and does sell the car after he has used it

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, 10:30:00 pm »

Wonga

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 11:21:53 pm »
 :signLOL:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2014, 01:22:20 am »
It's not for everyone, but think of it like this. I'm using joke figures to illustrate a point, but bare with me..

You've got £30k.

You buy a car for £30k cash.
You lease a car for £10k over 2 years and keep £20k in the bank.

At the end of 2 years, the car has depreciated £10k. So, the thing you have 'to show for it' is £20k tied up in a depreciating asset. If you sell it, you get £20k and put it in the bank, putting you in exactly the same position as the leaser.

Either way you've had the use of a car for 2 years, and that costs money.

Let's be honest, though. Most people who do this DON'T have the £30K in the bank they just want everyone to think they own a brand new £30K car, when in fact they couldn't actually afford one!

75% of Porsches and BMW are leased or PCP's.

Buying a car with cash outright ie not a loan, not bunged on your mortgage is stupid anyway unless you actually are that filth rich. Why would you tie up all that money into a depreciating asset when you could use your cash to invest in something.

This is why even the rich Porsche owners, lease etc their cars.

HP or buying the car outright in whatever fashion only makes sense if you plan on keeping the car long term ie 6+ years.

If you buy a new car every 2-3 years and you buy from the higher end of the market, it makes more sense to lease.