Make a donation

Author Topic: as the winter is coming whats the best winter wax to use????  (Read 3326 times)

Offline NEWEY

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Flickr
    • Email
as the winter is coming whats the best winter wax to use????
« on: September 25, 2009, 05:18:37 pm »
Hi guys,

as winter is coming up in the not to distant future. can i have some input into what wax will be best for my tornado red golf over the winter months?

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: as the winter is coming whats the best winter wax to use????
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 05:32:05 pm »
Several layers of collinite 476s should make a winterproof coat - it did for me anyway.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 05:40:49 pm »
another  :happy2: for collinite here, i use the 915 though.  i need to get a few layers on mine ready for winter
Still Here!

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 11:24:46 pm »
Hi guys, for the winter I'd recomend a few good coats of a sealant too. Be that zaino z5 or z2, collinite 476 or 915. Another few to consider are werstatt acrylic or fk1000p. If it was me on a red car I'd probably recommend zaino z5. Multiple coats thought. For all out and out durability i'd say the fk1000p will get the top spot though. It's a fanastic paste sealant that one ;)

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 02:57:16 pm »
and for a white car?

dreading the winter months, car never looks clean  :ashamed:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 03:29:12 pm »
All of those sealants would be fine but is recomend zaino z2 for the white. Think highly polished porcelain, just ask Gaz.

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 05:47:34 pm »
yes the finish was fantastic the last time Jay did the car and finished it with the Zaino :happy2:

will call you in the next few days Jay, want a pre-winter top-up :happy2:

veedub18

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 06:30:55 pm »
Hi guys,
Ok so as for a winter wax, one that has been overlooked and from personal experience is pretty damn good value and lasts, Megs #16.

Its getting good write ups on Detailing World, and by people who know theirs waxes. Not only from lasting well, but giving a finish that easily compares to the expensive boutique waxes. For under £12 I got a tub and put it on my little white van. The paintwork feels smooth as silk, and it beads like crazy. If you do get some, follow the instructions and only do 1 panel at a time. 

Got mine here

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/meguiars-16-paste-wax/prod_98.html

HTH mate.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 06:35:46 pm »
Hi guys, for the winter I'd recomend a few good coats of a sealant too. Be that zaino z5 or z2, collinite 476 or 915. Another few to consider are werstatt acrylic or fk1000p. If it was me on a red car I'd probably recommend zaino z5. Multiple coats thought. For all out and out durability i'd say the fk1000p will get the top spot though. It's a fanastic paste sealant that one ;)

I try to look after my car and love it shiny but this polish, compounds, sealants sounds really technical! :(

Any one able to give me some advice on winter paint prep I understand haha.  I have some swirl marks appearing, normally wash once a week and rinse my mitt frequently throughout the wash so i assume its my polish application that im cocking up?
Thinkin of claying (Virgin) before the winter...

Offline NEWEY

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Flickr
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 11:01:53 pm »

thanks for that mate. ill look into getting some z5 for the winter months

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline rskardon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 04:22:29 pm »

I try to look after my car and love it shiny but this polish, compounds, sealants sounds really technical! :(

Any one able to give me some advice on winter paint prep I understand haha.  I have some swirl marks appearing, normally wash once a week and rinse my mitt frequently throughout the wash so i assume its my polish application that im cocking up?

I'm no expert but in simple terms:-

Polish is slightly abrasive and therefore ideal for removing swirl marks etc... with some care, this can be done by hand or with a machine. Polishing is ideally done after claying the surace to clear it of sticky contaminents (dont be afraid, its dead easy, get the Megs Kit it works really well).

Sealant is the next level and is used as the name suggests to seal in the ploished surface, i use Jet Seal which is  easy to apply and leaves a great shine with 2 coats applied

Wax is your final layer to face the elements, you can spend anything from £10 to £3000 on wax, though a £20-£30 one will generally be good quality, Dodo Juice stuff gets a good write up and is around £30, otherwise the others mentioned in this thread will be good too no doubt.

You can skip the sealant and do a Clay followed straight away by wax and it will be fine, though if you do apply some sealant you tend to find the wax lasts better too and contaminents have a tougher job sticking to your paint work and the shine will last better.

The good news is that once you have clayed the car and re-waxed you can just keep topping it up once a month or less through the winter, you can normally tell it needs doing again when the water beading stops being so good, if you wash your car weekly in the winter it will help a huge amount!

I hope this makes sense, dont stress about it too much, if you give your car a good layer of wax even without the claying you'll be doing more than 95% of the population, cleaning your car and maintaining the paint is about the only thing you can do that actually adds value come sale time,

R

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 09:05:29 pm »

I'm no expert but in simple terms:-

Polish is slightly abrasive and therefore ideal for removing swirl marks etc... with some care, this can be done by hand or with a machine. Polishing is ideally done after claying the surace to clear it of sticky contaminents (dont be afraid, its dead easy, get the Megs Kit it works really well).

Sealant is the next level and is used as the name suggests to seal in the ploished surface, i use Jet Seal which is  easy to apply and leaves a great shine with 2 coats applied

Wax is your final layer to face the elements, you can spend anything from £10 to £3000 on wax, though a £20-£30 one will generally be good quality, Dodo Juice stuff gets a good write up and is around £30, otherwise the others mentioned in this thread will be good too no doubt.

You can skip the sealant and do a Clay followed straight away by wax and it will be fine, though if you do apply some sealant you tend to find the wax lasts better too and contaminents have a tougher job sticking to your paint work and the shine will last better.

The good news is that once you have clayed the car and re-waxed you can just keep topping it up once a month or less through the winter, you can normally tell it needs doing again when the water beading stops being so good, if you wash your car weekly in the winter it will help a huge amount!

I hope this makes sense, dont stress about it too much, if you give your car a good layer of wax even without the claying you'll be doing more than 95% of the population, cleaning your car and maintaining the paint is about the only thing you can do that actually adds value come sale time,

R

Cheers!  :happy2: Thanks given ;)

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 10:42:09 pm »
Zymol waxes work for me....especially Glasure Carnuba Pack using their HD Cleanse.

Lasts for months although I've put loads on front end and arches.
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline R15MTY

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 03:50:06 pm »
always found collinite 476 and 915 to be great winter products  :happy2: