Make a donation

Author Topic: Can anyone advise me ???  (Read 3926 times)

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
Can anyone advise me ???
« on: September 26, 2009, 04:10:51 pm »
Hi there everyone,

I have decided that tomorrow (weather permitting) i will be giving the car a decent detail. I have used Autoglym Super resin polish and then Dodo Juice Diamond White wax in the past and i think i have had good results. Anyway in the morning i am going to buy a Clay kit (probably the Megs one) and also some Dodo juice Lime prime cleaner wax and then finish off with the Diamond white wax i already have!

Now i have read up on Detailing guides so much these past few days that i don't know what to think anymore. :confused: so i need to ask.

As i already have probably 2-3 layers of old wax on there before i start (plus the car has seen quick detailer spray probably every 2-3 days), does this need stripping off before i use the clay etc? I know i have probably looked into this too much and its got me so confused.
I did intend to wash and then dry the car as normal, then use the clay, and then the lime prime and then the wax! was i right all along?  :ashamed: or do i need to get something else?

Offline Bennett vrs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Can anyone advise me ???
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 04:32:30 pm »
That sounds good mate. You dont need to strip anything off. Just give the car a good wash, and then clay it. Make sure you keep the clay well lubed, dont want it to marr the paint. Dont worry about using the full bottle of detailer that comes with the clay, i use it every time, and then just fill the bottle with car shampoo and water, use that as a clay lube, just as good. Its just to keep the clay moving, dont want it sticking.

I tend to give the car another rinse / wash if you want to, dry it before i start to use polishes. The Super Resins a good product, i would just use that and then go onto the diamond white mate, personally never use the cleaner wax. Dodo products are good though, just never felt the need to use it.  :happy2:

veedub18

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 06:41:17 pm »
Hi Monte.
I'd clay the car, and fully agree that you need to use a lot of lube. This will strip ALL the wax, and  the little contaminants from the paint leaving it silky smooth. I personally wouldn't use the SRP, as it contains fillers that will mask swirls and marring. I'd use the Lime Prime until you get a decent paint finish, wipe everything off then apply the wax.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 10:38:01 pm »
As above, clay will remove the old wax.

Now, what do you have to clean the windows, the rubber trim and the tyres? Mustn't forget those!

Another tip is to start early as possible, when there are fewer people about. Because of work, I had a fun time detailing my car on the main road, half on and half off the pavement, whilst trying not to get hit by passing cars.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 10:44:09 pm »
Just spent 7hrs doing this today lol

Prob like you been on the DW web site reading up for ages.

I washed the car in fairy first.  The idea came from the sticky on this forum.  I know people say washing up liquids have too much salt, but so do the roads over winter...  It strips the wax nicely.

Use the Bilt Hamber Clay, best value for money & highly regarded.  (about £10 for 200g)  Uses water as a lube too, so no need to dry after the rinse.

Another quick wash

Final Polish (Cut) with Megs & machine polisher

Glazed with PoorBoys

Waxed with some Carnuba (which is also excellent on plastics & rubber seals),  I will give the car another few coats of wax over the next few week, so it is more than ready for winter.

Cleaned inside and under the bonnet too...

Wife's car tomoz...  Think I may have OCD
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 10:49:12 pm »
Another tip is to start early as possible, when there are fewer people about. Because of work, I had a fun time detailing my car on the main road, half on and half off the pavement, whilst trying not to get hit by passing cars.

Neighbours are away (we are looking after the house & cats)  Huge drive way and a barn, so had fun in their absence. 

Else all I have is the bottom of an unmade road with the occasional MTB & rambler getting in the way
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 12:28:40 am »
That sounds good mate. You dont need to strip anything off. Just give the car a good wash, and then clay it. Make sure you keep the clay well lubed, dont want it to marr the paint. Dont worry about using the full bottle of detailer that comes with the clay, i use it every time, and then just fill the bottle with car shampoo and water, use that as a clay lube, just as good. Its just to keep the clay moving, dont want it sticking.

I tend to give the car another rinse / wash if you want to, dry it before i start to use polishes. The Super Resins a good product, i would just use that and then go onto the diamond white mate, personally never use the cleaner wax. Dodo products are good though, just never felt the need to use it.  :happy2:

Hi Monte.
I'd clay the car, and fully agree that you need to use a lot of lube. This will strip ALL the wax, and  the little contaminants from the paint leaving it silky smooth. I personally wouldn't use the SRP, as it contains fillers that will mask swirls and marring. I'd use the Lime Prime until you get a decent paint finish, wipe everything off then apply the wax.

Thank you both, i will make sure the surface is well lubed :happy2: However, i am dyin to try the Lime Prime cleaner wax so i guess i will opt for that!

As above, clay will remove the old wax.

Now, what do you have to clean the windows, the rubber trim and the tyres? Mustn't forget those!

Oh please! :scared: let me worry about the paintwork first! Although i would love to know what i can use on the dirtiest alloy wheels in all the land. I swear i clean em,.....n polish em,.....go inside for a brew,......come back out, and they are covered in 6 months worth of Brake Dust!  :jumping: Well maybe not that bad, but they do get real black, real quick. Is this a GTi thing?

Just spent 7hrs doing this today lol

Prob like you been on the DW web site reading up for ages.

I washed the car in fairy first.  The idea came from the sticky on this forum.  I know people say washing up liquids have too much salt, but so do the roads over winter...  It strips the wax nicely.

Use the Bilt Hamber Clay, best value for money & highly regarded.  (about £10 for 200g)  Uses water as a lube too, so no need to dry after the rinse.

Another quick wash

Final Polish (Cut) with Megs & machine polisher

Glazed with PoorBoys

Waxed with some Carnuba (which is also excellent on plastics & rubber seals),  I will give the car another few coats of wax over the next few week, so it is more than ready for winter.

Cleaned inside and under the bonnet too...

Wife's car tomoz...  Think I may have OCD

Ha! :laugh: You gotta stick to your own car mate! Unless you really do have OCD :confused: Does the wife respect the hard work you put into her car, and keep it reasonably clean?

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 12:37:48 am »
Does anyone know, if the car is washed and then rinsed, does it need drying before starting with the clay/lube?

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 08:32:22 am »
She can just about put petrol in it lol
tyre pressure no, screen wash no, check oil nope  :scared:

So far as drying, prob a good idea using a drying towel or well rinsed leather, as you will remove some water marks. Less stuff to remove with the clay. But the lube is mainly water so won't do any harm. 
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 09:41:27 am »
She can just about put petrol in it lol
tyre pressure no, screen wash no, check oil nope
  :scared:

So far as drying, prob a good idea using a drying towel or well rinsed leather, as you will remove some water marks. Less stuff to remove with the clay. But the lube is mainly water so won't do any harm. 

Haha, i know exactly what you mean mate :wink: Thanks for the great tips again! I think i will give it a quick dry then! for the sake of 5mins, i would rather get rid of any possible water marks before claying like you say.

When claying is it best to do a panel at a time, and then rinse it, and then dry it, and then move on to the next panel?

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 09:50:18 am »
Completely up to you. If you are going to dry the car fist I would prob leave until finished.
Not to hot and sunny today so you should be fine.
Give the car another wash rinse and dry when you finish claying. 
The clay doesn't leave any real marks, just keep the area wet.

Btw may be an idea to cut the clay bar in two. If you drop it you need to bin it.
Easy to do.
You can also warm the clay bar in hot water. Makes it a bit easier to work with.
Finally don't forget to keep folding it.

Good luck
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 10:41:31 am »
Completely up to you. If you are going to dry the car fist I would prob leave until finished.
Not to hot and sunny today so you should be fine.
Give the car another wash rinse and dry when you finish claying. 
The clay doesn't leave any real marks, just keep the area wet.

Btw may be an idea to cut the clay bar in two. If you drop it you need to bin it.
Easy to do.
You can also warm the clay bar in hot water. Makes it a bit easier to work with.
Finally don't forget to keep folding it.

Good luck

Wow, thanks again NC35! You have given me some great tips/advice :happy2: i really appreciate it!......right i'd better get started then! :jumpmove:

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 01:54:58 pm »
Well ive washed and dried the car, and now its ready for the clay. Trouble is i keep getting distract by the GrandPrix  :driver:

Singapore? ................................yeah, but the drummer was good  :jumping:

Also, if i get it clayed and i need to to the lime prime/waxing tomorrow, will the paintwork be ok? or will it need claying again? The car is parked outside on the driveway, and we are set for a dry night!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 01:58:44 pm by monte »

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 02:22:33 pm »
OMG i CANNOT believe my eyes! I have just clayed the bonnet and i really cannot believe the results, just from the clay!. I Honestly was not expecting so much of a change. I thought my paintwork was immaculate before i started. What was i thinking? I got the Megs kit, and sprayed on lots of the lube (which was clear, or maybe a little bit milky in colour) and when i had finished (before wiping clean) the bonnet looked like i had poured black tea over it. This was the lube that had turned absolutely filthy!
Anyway i have just dried it, with the quite large microfibre cloth that came with the kit, and the results are AWESOME. :happy2:
Back to it, i guess!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 08:51:13 pm »
Remember to post up some pics.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.