Make a donation

Author Topic: Sell standard or with mods?  (Read 862 times)

Offline York_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Sell standard or with mods?
« on: January 31, 2014, 03:00:42 pm »
Hi all, I just wanted to get some thoughts on selling my car with it's current mods fitted.

Personally, I have always preferred to buy cars standard, but when shopping for my GTi, I wasn't discounting cars with mods I would do myself.  In the end, I bought my car standard from a dealer.

My question is - the mods fitted to my car which I'm able to remove easily are the RNS510 sat nav, black mirror covers, S2T paddles and VWR springs - the remap will stay on the car - if I take these off, I could get potentially £800 for them on their own.  It is getting the balance right I guess as in the end the car is worth pretty much the same with or without the bits!

What are other peoples thoughts?
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (North Yorkshire)

Carbon Steel Grey 5 door 2010 (60) Golf MK6 GTi DSG / Leather / RCD510 / 18" Monza Alloys

Carbon Steel Grey 3 door 2011 Golf MK6 GTD DSG / RNS510 / Leather (NOW SOLD)

Tornado Red 5 door 2009 Golf MK6 GTi DSG / 18" Monza Alloys / PDT Stage 1 Remap - 261 BHP (NOW SOLD)

Black 3 door 2006 Golf MK5 GTi Manual / 18" Monza Alloys / PDT Stage 1 Remap & HPFP - 262 BHP (NOW SOLD)

Offline zayd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • Email
Re: Sell standard or with mods?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 03:41:17 pm »
Leave the mods on mate, and add it to the appeal of the car.  A good buyer will appreciate the mods.

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 03:51:07 pm »
The right buyer will appreciate them, as previously mentioned.  :happy2:
Always been baffled when people get a bee in their bonnet and have to buy standard. Then they go off and start doing all the mods they didn't want on the car when they were looking!  :stupid:

In actual fact, I would bet that generally speaking modified cars are better cared for standard equivalents (probably with the exception of those found here). A standard car is more likely to be a hack maintained on a budget, and main dealer servicing isn't all it's cracked up to be either...but that's another thread!

If you've good invoices for parts and labour then they're an asset.

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 03:52:34 pm »
RNS will be the highest ticket item from what I can see dependant on version.

wondering what the price tags you have for your items?

I would take the mods off as a lot off buyers would be put off (its just the way it is) and all your doing is limiting yourself to a smaller pool.

VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 04:04:17 pm »
The right buyer will appreciate them, as previously mentioned.  :happy2:
Always been baffled when people get a bee in their bonnet and have to buy standard. Then they go off and start doing all the mods they didn't want on the car when they were looking!  :stupid:

In actual fact, I would bet that generally speaking modified cars are better cared for standard equivalents (probably with the exception of those found here). A standard car is more likely to be a hack maintained on a budget, and main dealer servicing isn't all it's cracked up to be either...but that's another thread!

If you've good invoices for parts and labour then they're an asset.

Completely agree re modified cars being better looked after (generally) but that doesn't mean it will help the sale come sale time as all Barry's wife's is going to see is a lowered car with non matching wing mirror casings, ruling her out as a potential buyer.

Its a lot easier to sell a car without mods as your greatly enhance the pool of potential buyers as most peeps (the general public) after a car aren't into modified cars.

Also depends on how your selling it, privately or as a trade in. You may well sell it modified but I imagine it will take longer than a nice clean standard one.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline andybon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 04:16:54 pm »
If you have standard items and think you could make more splitting it then do it this way,
How hard can it be?

Offline Leigh200sx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 05:10:36 pm »
I would take the stereo out and sell that, maybe the mirror cover would look better OEM, as for the springs just leave them

Offline York_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 01:29:22 pm »
Thanks for all your comments.

I'm going to see if it manages to sell with the mods fitted for a week or two more.  If it doesn't, I will remove the bits and sell as a standard car :happy2:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (North Yorkshire)

Carbon Steel Grey 5 door 2010 (60) Golf MK6 GTi DSG / Leather / RCD510 / 18" Monza Alloys

Carbon Steel Grey 3 door 2011 Golf MK6 GTD DSG / RNS510 / Leather (NOW SOLD)

Tornado Red 5 door 2009 Golf MK6 GTi DSG / 18" Monza Alloys / PDT Stage 1 Remap - 261 BHP (NOW SOLD)

Black 3 door 2006 Golf MK5 GTi Manual / 18" Monza Alloys / PDT Stage 1 Remap & HPFP - 262 BHP (NOW SOLD)