Make a donation

Author Topic: Painting/Spraying Alloys  (Read 5513 times)

Offline irish_ram

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
Painting/Spraying Alloys
« on: February 05, 2014, 10:17:03 pm »
Hi All,

I am after some black Monza alloys for my car but cannot seem to find any decent 2nd hand ones for the right price.

I have however found some which are Silver with good tyre depth. They have a few scuffs on then so this why the are quite cheap but not fussed about that at the moment.

What I want to know is if I wanted to spray them black is there a guide anyone has and how would I do this. Is it quite straight forward or am I better taking them to a professional to do. Also with spraying them black would this go a bit of the way to covering up the slight kerbing.

And what sort of paint/spray would I need to use and would I need to prepare the wheels in anyway?

Offline JC88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Painting/Spraying Alloys
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 10:28:46 pm »
Think some people on here might have had some experience using plastidip which might possibly cover fine scuffs. Dont think if theres like any dents or deep scratches a DIY job can properly sort this out and you'd be best to go to a pro. Check out plastidip sprays though, and theres some videos of the guy spraying alloys etc where you can literally peel overspray off the tyre.

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 10:32:35 pm »
Cheers for that,

I might be totally wrong but if I did plasti dip would that be as durable as actually spraying the wheel black?

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 10:35:58 pm »
I have my winter Monza's sprayed in black plastidip since November and they've been great, you obviously can't scrub them, but a light wash with a microfibre mit, rinse, dry and then spray with tyre enhancer brings them properly out and lasts a while. :happy2:

Plastidip is definitely not as hardy as a proper painting, more a temporary finish, however it seems to be very robust, and I'd wager that everyone should do it to maintain their wheels over winter, to protect against the salt and grime!

Offline JC88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 10:37:09 pm »
Think plastidip's a better alternative to spraying with paint from what ive heard. Also has the benefit that if you want to remove it and go a diff colour or whatever, you can peel it off. Has a similar kind of concept of protection to like powdercoating where its like a plastic coating around the alloy hence the name. You can lacquer ontop from what I've seen on videos for different appearances etc. Not sure how much it all works out as for a full set of alloys but worth looking into...

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 10:42:23 pm »
Think plastidip's a better alternative to spraying with paint from what ive heard. Also has the benefit that if you want to remove it and go a diff colour or whatever, you can peel it off. Has a similar kind of concept of protection to like powdercoating where its like a plastic coating around the alloy hence the name. You can lacquer ontop from what I've seen on videos for different appearances etc. Not sure how much it all works out as for a full set of alloys but worth looking into...

Good point on the plasti dip in case you want to take it off which you do not have the option with spray paint. I have watched a couple of videos on spraying and looks straight forward. Seems to be 3 steps of sand, prime and spray and I presume the end result will be down to how much patience you have and time you put into it. Also you can put clear shine on afterwards.

The alloys I am getting are quite cheap and not really fussed about returning to silver so think for the best durability I would prefer spraying. I am aware likely there may be some scuffs it might not cover but that is fine.

I am presuming if I sprayed them and then at a later date had them professionally refurbed it would not matter that they are now black and were silver originally?

Offline JC88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 11:11:51 pm »
no dont think it matters what paint etc you use now if youre getting a refurb; they will likely strip it back or acid dip it all off before repairing and preparing the alloy for paint or powdercoating. dont think you need any rubbing down or priming with plastidip btw; think it just needs a good clean surface mate

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 06:55:38 am »
no dont think it matters what paint etc you use now if youre getting a refurb; they will likely strip it back or acid dip it all off before repairing and preparing the alloy for paint or powdercoating. dont think you need any rubbing down or priming with plastidip btw; think it just needs a good clean surface mate

Yeah think I would go for plasti dip if wanted a quicker easier option but even with my basic skills I think I could do a spray job.

Probably a stupid question but obviously the wheels would be off the car when primed and sprayed etc and would likely take a couple of days to do them all and let them dry etc before putting back on. Is there anything I can get apart from using 4 jacks to prop the car up while wheels are off

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 11:28:20 am »
Hey, did a few posts go missing here? :rolleye:

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 04:18:31 pm »
They have indeed. Maybe to do with the maintenance on the site.

Picking my wheels up tomorrow though and earmarked all the stuff I need from halfords.

I am using my old bolts as buyer of my wheels does not need them but ideally probably need to spray these which should not be and issue.

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 02:29:15 pm »
It seems like some of the posts have gone missing off here.

Has anyone got a good guide to spraying Alloys as got my new ones this morning and gonna spray them.

I get the jist of it and am folowing the below technique but still a few questions

1. Wash Wheels
2. Use 180 Wet/Dry to take off all the laquer - However not sure how I will know this part is complete
3. Wash Wheels again
4. Use Primer on the Wheels. I am spraying 3 times with 10 minute gaps in between - Using http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_724431_langId_-1_categoryId_165495#tab3

5. Use Spray Paint on wheels. I am spraying 3 times with 10 minute gaps in between - Not sure which to go for below:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_724425_langId_-1_categoryId_165495#tab3

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_724423_langId_-1_categoryId_165495

6. Using Laquer to finish.  I am spraying 3 times with 10 minute gaps in between - Using http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_206575_langId_-1_categoryId_165495

Anymore advice would be great. Also do people recommend doing one wheel at a time or because there will be gaps between sprays I could use that to move onto the next wheel

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 06:11:42 pm »
So new wheels are on and very happy with them indeed.

Just need to get round to doing a refurb and spray on them as I think Black will look better than Silver.

Sorry for the bad phone pics as it was starting to rain and I was cold so rush job  :confused:

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 10:02:17 am »
Sorry to post some more pictures but just checking the wheels out this morning as I am looking at doing my own refurb and spray afterwards.

Looking at the wheels the obvious is around most of the wheels is some kerbing so that will need sanding and filling. However over the face of one of the wheels there is marks as you can see in the pictures. They face is smooth so no scratching or anything when rubbing my finger over the areas. It almost looks like the laquer is coming off which is not an issue as would need this off if I am going to spray anyway.

Can anyone with more knowledge confirm from the pics what these marks are.

Offline championv6

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • R32 DSG Stage 2 Revo
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 10:10:31 am »
I hate black alloys so much :/
CAR - VW Golf mk5 .:R32 DSG - Reflex Silver, 5 Dr, Leather Recaro sports seats, Sunroof, TPMS, Armrest, Highline with MFSW, Glove Box Cooler, Winter Pack and Luxury Pack 2
MODS - BBS RS861 Alloys, Full front/rear window tints, Milltek Manifolds & Decats, Resonated Miltek Exhaust,  K&N Panel Filter, H&R Lowering Springs, Revo stage 2 remap
ICE - Pioneer Double DIN DVD Player, JL Audio 13w7 sub, JL Audio 1000/1 amplifier, Alpine PDX F2 4 channel

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 10:12:43 am »
I hate black alloys so much :/

Well I am still debating whether to go black or stay silver but either way these alloys need a good refurb and spray.

I was never a fan of black alloys myself but do admit the look good on red cars with the red and black theme