Make a donation

Author Topic: Painting/Spraying Alloys  (Read 5511 times)

Offline championv6

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • R32 DSG Stage 2 Revo
Re: Painting/Spraying Alloys
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 10:35:12 am »
I hate black alloys so much :/

Well I am still debating whether to go black or stay silver but either way these alloys need a good refurb and spray.

I was never a fan of black alloys myself but do admit the look good on red cars with the red and black theme
I would stay silver personally
Some people do go for the red/black theme but usually have a red outer lip on the black alloy, that looks nice it separates the black alloy from the tyre and stands out more
CAR - VW Golf mk5 .:R32 DSG - Reflex Silver, 5 Dr, Leather Recaro sports seats, Sunroof, TPMS, Armrest, Highline with MFSW, Glove Box Cooler, Winter Pack and Luxury Pack 2
MODS - BBS RS861 Alloys, Full front/rear window tints, Milltek Manifolds & Decats, Resonated Miltek Exhaust,  K&N Panel Filter, H&R Lowering Springs, Revo stage 2 remap
ICE - Pioneer Double DIN DVD Player, JL Audio 13w7 sub, JL Audio 1000/1 amplifier, Alpine PDX F2 4 channel

Offline irish_ram

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 10:41:18 am »

Well I am still debating whether to go black or stay silver but either way these alloys need a good refurb and spray.

I was never a fan of black alloys myself but do admit the look good on red cars with the red and black theme
Some people do go for the red/black theme but usually have a red outer lip on the black alloy, that looks nice it separates the black alloy from the tyre and stands out more

Cheers, can you or anyone confirm the marks on my alloys in the pics, is this the laquer/gloss coming off or white worm or something?

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 11:06:18 am »

Offline championv6

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • R32 DSG Stage 2 Revo
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 11:09:54 am »

Cheers, can you or anyone confirm the marks on my alloys in the pics, is this the laquer/gloss coming off or white worm or something?
Hopefully they are covered by warranty
CAR - VW Golf mk5 .:R32 DSG - Reflex Silver, 5 Dr, Leather Recaro sports seats, Sunroof, TPMS, Armrest, Highline with MFSW, Glove Box Cooler, Winter Pack and Luxury Pack 2
MODS - BBS RS861 Alloys, Full front/rear window tints, Milltek Manifolds & Decats, Resonated Miltek Exhaust,  K&N Panel Filter, H&R Lowering Springs, Revo stage 2 remap
ICE - Pioneer Double DIN DVD Player, JL Audio 13w7 sub, JL Audio 1000/1 amplifier, Alpine PDX F2 4 channel

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 12:48:15 pm »
Have a look here http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,726.0.html

Definately white worm on my wheels then so can get id of that once refurbed and sprayed.

I am just nipping to Halfords now to grab the gear for spraying and also some filler for the kerbing after sanded down. Just pushed for time and only 2 jacks so will have 2 do 2 wheels at a time and may only get the sanding and filler bit done today so is going to look weird driving to work with 2 sanded filled wheels and 2 normal still with kerbing  :confused:

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 07:14:47 pm »
Well went ahead today and sprayed one of my wheels black and all in all not too bad.

Issue is I did not really do a brilliant job on the kerbing in terms of sanding down and filling but not too bothered as looks a lot better than it was before.

I used Matt Black paint but not sure if it is because I have not left them to dry overnight yet but did look quite glossy which surprised me. Also used Laquer which is probably going to make them look even more glossy.

Did not really get any good pictures as stuck it back on my car about 30 minutes ago and forgot to take a photo before hand so too dark on the car to get a decent picture.

Might be different in the morning but also noticed the wheels look even more dull now which does not look right so presume I need to clean these good.

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 06:37:32 pm »
Right so all 4 wheels are now sprayed.

I think I put too much filler on the first one as I decided to sand down the kerbing on the other but did not use filler and they look much better. Not perfect but expected that and as the wheels were cheap this was more experimenting really and am really happy with the last 3.

I will post some pics up when get a chance