Make a donation

Author Topic: Help..!!  (Read 1463 times)

Offline z00bz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
  • OEM+ Black MK5 GTi
Help..!!
« on: January 27, 2014, 09:27:16 pm »
I have the same cold start problems like many others BUT my GTI's symptoms are abit unique compared to the rest to confuse the matter  :confused: -

She doesnt always start up 1st time on cold starts - sounds as tho its going to die and then cranks up fine. (without me having to turn the ignition again) When it does start up, 1 of the following things happen --

* Rear wiper starts to operate it self (until I switch the wiper stalk to 'on' and then 'off') which then returns back to its normal position. 

OR

(This happens more often then the above)

* The onboard computer completely resets with the clock, trip etc all going to zero (in which I have to set the clock again to the correct time. In addition to this I then get the Steering Wheel, ESP and TPMS lights come on dashboard - these lights then go away completely as soon as I start driving. (within a matter of seconds) My one touch windows feature 'sometimes' needs resetting again but not all the time. Sometimes the one touch window feature still seems to operate as normal.

Any thoughts on this? (She is an 05 GTi with a VARTA 70Ah battery) Warm starts are fine

z%bz

OEM+ Black MK5 GTi

Offline SI-R32

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
Re: Help..!!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 09:37:15 pm »
like everyone else will probably say, get it scanned mate. the on board stuff will hopefully tell you whats wrong or point you in the right direction
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline Twiggy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 11:46:00 am »
Get it scanned and see what is pulled up.

Mine does the rear wiper thing on start ups occasionally (no issue with cold starts though) but nothing came up when i had it scanned.  :confused:

let us know how you get on.
2005 mk5 R-tech custom stage 1

Offline z00bz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • OEM+ Black MK5 GTi
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 11:59:04 am »
I had the car scanned around a week ago, and no faults came up - this issue was present at the time.

Anyway - due to gut instinct, I had a feeling that my battery was on its way out after reading somewhere that the 1 touch window feature resetting is a sign of battery being on its way out....! And the battery does look quite old as tho it is the original from when the car was manufactured back in 05!

This morning I got the battery and alternator tested by Kwik Fit as they do a free test  :grin: (Started fine this morning btw)

And they confirmed that my battery was on its way out reading 30% when it should it be reading around 70% at least so in the next couple of days - The VARTA battery will be getting replaced with a Bosch S4 71Ah battery and ''hopefully'' that should cure the problem I HOPE!  :scared:

OEM+ Black MK5 GTi

Offline z00bz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • OEM+ Black MK5 GTi
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 10:48:24 pm »
New battery = problem solved = happy days :-)

z%bz

OEM+ Black MK5 GTi

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 09:13:05 am »
Nice to know. Mine does the rear wiper thing every now and then. From what you say it points to the battery

Offline z00bz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • OEM+ Black MK5 GTi
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 02:14:42 pm »
Yes most likely - my rear wiper thingy hasnt happened ever since and now instead, have healthy cold starts  :happy2:

OEM+ Black MK5 GTi

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 02:55:17 pm »
Thanks for sharing it - it's worth remembering if it ever happens to me.

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline z00bz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • OEM+ Black MK5 GTi
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 03:23:51 pm »
Thanks for sharing it - it's worth remembering if it ever happens to me.

No worries bud! Just 1 bit of advice tho is to check whether the 1 touch window feature resets coz if it does then it most definately is the battery and do not rely on the battery light coz mine didnt even come on - not even half a light  :signLOL:

OEM+ Black MK5 GTi