Make a donation

Author Topic: Rhythmic Vibration  (Read 582 times)

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 12
    • Alex McCabe
Rhythmic Vibration
« on: February 18, 2014, 10:22:23 am »
Now that I have your attention...

I have a rhythmic vibration that appears to be every rotation of a wheel. It can be felt through the steering wheel and the seat and the floor... woo. At first I thought it was due to the fact that one of my tyres had a huge chunk missing from the sidewall, but apparently not as I got that replaced.

What could this be? It's obviously more noticeable at higher speeds. Is my wheel buckled, or is it something more sinister?

MK5 Golf GTi 197BHP Tornado Red

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Rhythmic Vibration
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 10:39:37 am »
Have you had your tyres balanced properly?

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 12
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 02:05:57 pm »
Have you had your tyres balanced properly?

When I had the tyre replaced it was at a tyre garage and they charged me for fitting and balancing, so I would hope so. I should go get all the others checked out too I suppose.

MK5 Golf GTi 197BHP Tornado Red

Offline Dave7692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 02:24:01 pm »
My parents had a similar problem with their Passat, they initially assumed it was a bearing of some sort or as you said a buckled alloy, however the tyre itself had gone slightly out of shape and that was what caused the vibration.

They were informed it was actually a fairly common problem on Passats although I guess something similar could happen on a Golf too and unfortunately the only solution was a replacement tyre.

By the way this also occurred on a relatively new (less than 3 months old) tyre so there is a possibility it could the cause of your problem.  I guess the best course of action would be to take it back to where you got the tyre from and have them evaluate it before looking further.