Make a donation

Author Topic: tapping noise  (Read 853 times)

Offline D Squared

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
tapping noise
« on: February 06, 2014, 06:29:23 am »
Hi, so when driving my car, and pulling up to idle, i can hear what i can only describe as a tapping noise, periodically coming from around the passenger side - possibly from behind dash/in bay...can't hear it when you get out... difficult to diagnose i know, but any ideas?

I have turned off climate & stereo, had clutch pedal down etc etc... To me its the sort of sound of a lazy tappet losing pressure, then regaining but pretty sure its not that.....what about a brake pressure accumulater pumping up/regaining pressure? or a relay clicking in etc? anyone come across anything like that...?

I will check the oil level etc later and have a bit of a look around/listen with the bonnet up and look to see where the brake stuff is later....the noise is only present for a few seconds then goes away...but then will come back 20 seconds or so time.....i'm yet to to see the influence of brake pedal on/off....

Just wondered if anyone else has come across this...

Cheers
2007 5dr GTi

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
Re: tapping noise
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 12:17:54 pm »
I used to hear in intermittent rattle in my mk5, when sitting at idle. Turned out to be the fuel lines rattling under the car!

Common complaint as it turned out, there are several threads regarding it in the Trobleshooting section. This may be what's causing your problem.
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline D Squared

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 12:22:45 pm »
I used to hear in intermittent rattle in my mk5, when sitting at idle. Turned out to be the fuel lines rattling under the car!

Common complaint as it turned out, there are several threads regarding it in the Trobleshooting section. This may be what's causing your problem.

hmm that's an interesting one, i've not heard of that before - but i am still a mk5 novice...i'll check it out  - Thanks
2007 5dr GTi

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 50
  • I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53191.0.html
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 12:24:55 pm »
The fuel lines don't make the soft tapping noise behind the glovebox Dazza, although they do make a tapping noise, just not the one we've discussed  :wink:

Offline D Squared

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 12:44:57 pm »
The fuel lines don't make the soft tapping noise behind the glovebox Dazza, although they do make a tapping noise, just not the one we've discussed  :wink:

cheers buddy...
2007 5dr GTi

Offline Ash_SteadyEddy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 01:38:09 pm »
I also get this in my eddy so would also be interested if anyone can shed some light!!

Sounds like I've got predator in my glove box  :signLOL:
Edition 30 No.1995 P-Torque stage 1, ITG Maxogen, Eibach Sportline, RNS 510

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 50
  • I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53191.0.html
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 01:50:42 pm »
I've got the same noise and have had for a few years, have read a few threads elsewhere with some people saying it's normal ?.  Read this though.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=314256

I've had a search on here and sure I've read seen some feedback on this issue but can't find it through the search function.  Someone will hopefully help  :happy2:

Offline Sandbagsniper

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 10:19:01 pm »
Always thought it was something to do with the hot air blower. Guess the motor is behind/near the glovebox?