Make a donation

Author Topic: Car rental in USA - where to rent and what?  (Read 3165 times)

Offline vwgolfgtimk5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Car rental in USA - where to rent and what?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 06:52:58 pm »
Remember that you can turn right on a red light unless there is a sign to tell you otherwise, and you can undertake freely.

Road trips in the US are fun.

Where are you going?

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 10:12:13 pm »
Remember that you can turn right on a red light unless there is a sign to tell you otherwise, and you can undertake freely.

Where are you going?

flying to San Francisco, then LA, Vegas and sight seeing all the way

Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline vwgolfgtimk5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 06:42:26 am »
That's a good road trip which I've done before. If you take HWY1 from SF to LA it's a looong drive but scenic. Keep your eyes peeled for Bixby bridge in Big Sur it's featured in a lot of TV commercials.

I lived in San Diego for 9 years and here is a small list of stuff to do in LA:

Fathers Office that has amazing burgers and a great selection of craft beers, my fav.
Casa Escobar for really good Mexican food, great ambience too. For dessert head on over to Diddy Riese for ice cream sandwiches.
Runyon Canyon for a hike up to Mulholland drive, a rewarding view of LA at the top. Or just drive Mulholland drive and gawk at the amazing views and residences.
Venice beach, 3rd street promenade, Sunset strip, Rodeo drive, Santa Monica all have shopping, restaurants etc.
In 'n Out for good fast food burgers. Google the secret menu!

Offline cmdrfire

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 07:12:10 pm »

Where are you going?

Apparently not in the State of California, according to the CHP trooper who pulled me.

flying to San Francisco, then LA, Vegas and sight seeing all the way

Paul

Nice route. As mentioned I drove from SF to LA via I5 which was the inland route. Very boring and full of nothing but farmers and Mexican radio. Traffic in LA sucks. Had a meeting in Long Beach then went up to the Valleys.
I had a bit more time to drive back to SF so I took US101 which runs nearer the coast, bit more curvy and runs along US1 (Pacific Coast Highway) for a bit. Much nicer drive, still a bit boring in places.

It's worth renting something decent, a V6 at least if you can and a V8 if possible.

Watch out for the CHP.

Agree with VWGolfGTIMK5, In 'n Out do a great burger, got one on US101 and enjoyed it very much!

Offline vwgolfgtimk5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 07:16:28 pm »

Apparently not in the State of California, according to the CHP trooper who pulled me.

9 years in CA and I didn't know that  :surprised:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 07:30:53 pm »

9 years in CA and I didn't know that  :surprised:

Yeah, I didn't think it was thing either (having previously driven in the US and paying no attention to it) but apparently in Cali the leftmost lane is the "passing lane" and he told me off about it (didn't write it up on my citation though, figured the speeding was enough!).

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 07:52:30 am »
I'm glad they have satellite radio in cars nowadays, as I had to retune the radio about 17 times driving from LA to San Diego once. Say that, though, I had a Fiesta saloon last time and it didn't work in that!