Make a donation

Author Topic: Massive careeer change... Am I mad?  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Massive careeer change... Am I mad?
« on: February 13, 2014, 08:11:19 am »
Hello all.

I am currently 23 and working as a Dual Diagnosis team lead in a psychiatric hospital however after working what is a very exciting and dynamic role for some years I have decided there are few avenues to further myself and climb the money tree so I am taking the plunge and retraining... as a Barber.

When I was younger being a barber was the only thing I ever wanted to do but being young and naive (or should I say youngER and MORE naive) I wasted several fantastic opportunities & it never quite came to be so thus I fell into my current role which I do love but the hours are VERY unsocial, the pay is good but will remain static & ultimately my passion lies elsewhere.

I have been offered to chance to be trained by a well established Barber & have decided to take it, I am training alongside my current job so I have the opportunity to avoid an apprentice wage - so to speak which allows me to earn a full income through my current job & train with him.

My questions are,

A) has anyone recently made any drastic career changes and have any tips?
B) Any barbers amongst here? - long shot I know.
C) What are your thoughts?

and lastly, does anyone want a free hair cut to help me learn ;)

:happy2:

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: Massive careeer change... Am I mad?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 08:44:55 am »
As to whether you are mad or not you are the one probably best qualified to answer that.  :wink:

I'm quite friendly with my local barbers and they always seem to be doing well lifestyle wise. I think the secret is to own and run the shop rather than just be a barber.

Good luck. Brave but probably fulfilling move.  :smiley:

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:12:09 am »
As to whether you are mad or not you are the one probably best qualified to answer that.  :wink:

I'm quite friendly with my local barbers and they always seem to be doing well lifestyle wise. I think the secret is to own and run the shop rather than just be a barber.

Good luck. Brave but probably fulfilling move.  :smiley:
Definitely agree with that. The owner of the barbers i go to seems to be doing well. Im not saying the people who work for him arent, but he's doing better :)
I know you're just training at the moment, so thinking about owning your own shop maybe something you don't want to do just yet, but its definitely something i'd strive to do if i was in your position :happy2:

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 09:13:54 am »
You'll obviously have to swap the Mk5 for a soft top, but other than that go for it, nothing worse than wondering what could've happened, you could be a cut above the rest, so dont let you dreams get swept aside. Good luck.  You're still young so you can always go back to the pyschos.

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 09:30:48 am »
 :grin:

valid points indeed!

Yes, would definately be looking at owning my shop in the future but have to hone my skills first :)

'A cut above the rest' - Great pun ;)

Cheers guys!

Offline Marc-5-GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 09:46:25 am »
You'll obviously have to swap the Mk5 for a soft top, but other than that go for it, nothing worse than wondering what could've happened, you could be a cut above the rest, so dont let you dreams get swept aside. Good luck.  You're still young so you can always go back to the pyschos.

Still wish I joined the navy instead of getting a civvy job.. Just can't justify giving up the job I have now to do it now...

Go for it mate! Cut throat razor time  :happy2:
3dr Reflex Silver GTI | BBS VZ | Eibach Sportlines | Cumbria

Offline Jakesangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 09:49:05 am »
All I can say is that I admire you courage. To be able to follow your dream and then see it fulfilled is an amazing personal achievement. You will spend the best part of your life at work (hopefully) so to have a vocation and be able to do something you love is as opposed to "just a job" would be fantastic. Go for it while you are young enough to take a chance.  :happy2:    

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 50
  • I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53191.0.html
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 10:13:49 am »
Not had a carreer change but my other half has been a hairdresser for 25 years and now owns a very successful salon.  When she worked full time she took home much more than me and I'm an overpaid engineer tea drinker.  If you can steer clear of purely blokes hair and do womens as well and build up a decent clientele you'll be laughing, women seem to like paying more   :stupid:, (colours and all that fancy stuff).  The main thing is you have to be outgoing and friendly, good at what you do and be in a quality salon.  You can be all of the previous and work in the british equivalent of Beirut and you won't be taking much wedge home so look think about salon locations.

I could never be a hairdresser, far too grumpy  :grin:

Good luck, takes balls something like this. :happy2:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:23:57 am by bigmig95 »

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 11:07:11 am »
Thanks guys, kind words!

I don't have ant intentions of doing women's hair, strictly barbering.

I have visions of a very modern and trendy barber shop where I can offer a take on traditional Turkish barbering i.e cut throat, hot towel, aftershave - the works, With todays generation of males; myself included who seem to spend more time in the mirror than ever before I think there's definitely money to be made!

Just booked in my second cut for tomorrow morning as a matter of fact  :evilgrin:

:drinking:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 01:36:10 pm »
My barber makes good money, good lifestyle, long hours sometimes but considering he charges 10 pounds a haircut and will do between 3-5 an hour depending on type of cut it's not bad.

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 02:35:49 pm »
^ I'll take that! lol

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 03:21:22 pm »
The missus was a hairdresser and one observation is that all your friends and family will want a cheap haircut so be warned,of the plus sides you will never be out of work if your a good one.

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 09:35:40 pm »
£10 or £12 at my local, but run and owned by two guys with a 3rd renting a chair, always a constant queue waiting. Probably get through 2-3 an hour. Would easily find it cheaper elsewhere, but the banter is hilarious  :signLOL:
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 09:36:43 pm »
A local 'fancy' barber around here opened his own shop and coupled it with a small trendy clothes outlet joned to it; Hugo Boss / Arcteryx / All Saints / Scotch and Soda / Diesel / Haglofs / Canada Goose / Various Trainers etc. etc. that sort of kit... it did very well... sometimes there are some combinations worth exploring, especially if there's a club in the area... once you snag a crowd you're golden.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 09:38:14 pm »
I used to pay a load to get my hair cut... but since cutting it all off nearly a year ago its only cost me a pair of clippers!  :happy2:

Hats off to you for giving it a go. Its good that you will be able to run it alongside your current job, you never know, you might not like it  :scared:

All the best.