Make a donation

Author Topic: changeing from sky to fresat  (Read 3811 times)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
changeing from sky to fresat
« on: February 15, 2014, 05:14:28 pm »
With the ever increasing sky tv prices am thinking of changing the sky box to fresat..
Know some progams i wont get ie tv channels but thats not a problem as i now can get netflix...My monthly bill is £100
When changing from sky hd to fresat hd are they plug and play and as any member done it and regretted it

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
Re: changeing from sky to fresat
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 05:17:49 pm »
Can't help Andy with freesat, but if you ring Sky and tell them you plan to leave they'll probably be quite accomodating.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 06:10:54 pm »
I am also not happy with Sky,I hope BT gets a bit of support and take the sports and build on that.

Offline ARV_90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 06:39:33 pm »
I have had Sky for the past ten plus years but as from today I am free...  The sport and film package does not interest me although the recording and on demand system was very good and I will miss it ... But as long as you are ok not having all of the extra channels Sky offers as the Freesat line up has "Nothing" like the choice  then the Humax HDR1000s is the one to go for, This is a plug and play swap for the Sky box as it uses the same LNB inputs from the Sky dish,  But you do have to make the commitment of buying the box so if you are thinking you may go back to Sky then I would give it some thought... Link for the Humax below.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/digital-tv-services/freesat/humax-hdr1000s-500gb-freesat-with-free-time-digital-satellite-recorder-500-gb-13374267-pdt.html

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 07:34:20 pm »
Iv got a youview box. Its good.

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Saintsteve

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 07:37:19 pm »
With the ever increasing sky tv prices am thinking of changing the sky box to fresat..
Know some progams i wont get ie tv channels but thats not a problem as i now can get netflix...My monthly bill is £100
When changing from sky hd to fresat hd are they plug and play and as any member done it and regretted it

Say your going to leave, let our cancelations department do some wheeler dealing if we value your business.Worth a punt, but as has been suggested, be prepared to shell a couple hundred for a decent HD+ Freesat STB.

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 07:40:01 pm »
What's wrong with one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130923254658

Offline Jamminjim

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 02:32:46 pm »
I swapped over about a year ago from sky to freesat...the only real drawback I've found compared to freeview is the lack of Dave....but you can always get a cheap freeview box and have the best of both worlds!

I invested in a Samsung smt 7800 which works pretty much the same as the sky box, and apart from the occasional random reboot works fine and dandy!

I do miss the choice sky offers but like you, was finding the cost of sky just too much. I no the initial outlay of around 200 quid seems a lot but this was covered within a few months of not having the exuberant sky bills!

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 03:11:46 pm »
Iv got a youview box. Its good.

Same here. I cancelled my Sky 12 months ago and got a free You View box with a new broadband contract with BT.  I had to have BT TV for 12 months, but cancelled that the other day as I didn't watch any of the content.  So I've still got a You View box that can pause, rewind, series record etc. and still have access to On Demand and Catch-Up.

FOR SALE!

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 04:09:33 pm »
thanks for all the advice and good to hear possitive views about fresat

Offline ARV_90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 05:16:18 pm »
It is a shame that you cant get Dave on freesat ... I will miss that channel  :sad1:  We are on Sky FTA at the min and still don't get it but we do on the tv in the bedroom that has the freeview tuner built in... seems a bit odd.

Offline Real Thing

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 11:20:13 pm »
If your ready for a new Tele as well have you considered Freesat built in get a smart TV with internet and your've got all the catch-up TV as well

Golf MK6 R TTE420 & Gen1 RS3