Make a donation

Author Topic: MkV GT TDI 170 DSG - Blue Graphite [Sunday Clean]  (Read 23834 times)

Offline MikLSP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: MkV GT TDI 170 DSG - Blue Graphite [Engine Fault Workshop!]
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2014, 01:10:45 pm »
Oh well, VW have advised me that I should NOT drive the car with a flashing amber glow plug (engine management) light and should arrange recovery, wonderful.

I have managed to get a couple of fault codes with my blue VAG-COM cable and the old software; one appears to be 00568- Manifold Pressure/Boost Sensor (G31): Signal too High and the other 00275 - Intake Air Temp. Sensor (G42): Signal too High despite my software thinking it is an ABS valve  :confused:

Anyway, here is my scan result:
Code: [Select]
VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Chassis Type: 1K - VW Golf Mk5
Scan: 01,02,03,08,09,15,16,17,19,25,37,3D,42,44,46,52,55,56,62,69,72,76,77,7D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine
   Controller: 03G 906 018 DF
   Component: R4 2.0l PPD1.2 G    4345
   Coding: 0000078
   Shop #: WSC 00628
2 Faults Found:
00275 - ABS Outlet Valve: Right Rear (N135)
            006 - Short to Plus
00568 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
            006 - Please Register/Activate
Readiness: N/A

Address 02: Auto Trans
   Controller: 02E 300 043 E
   Component: GSG DSG         070 1152
   Coding: 0000020
   Shop #: WSC 00046
No fault code found.

Skipping Address 15-Airbags

End   --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline MikLSP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
I was very happy to receive this delivery today from goingfast.com; some of the Hella LHD dark red tail lights like they list on ebay along with some smoked mirror indicator repeaters.

Incidentally, if you contact goingfast_info (or car-style-discount, same people) through ebay, they will email you a better offer and a direct purchase link. They save ebay fees and you get cheaper items, I saved about £30 on these in total.

I was hoping to fit them today but the nice weather has disappeared but instead I have spent some time (much longer than I anticipated) swapping the reverse and fog lenses in the tail lights. It was much trickier than I thought so I might put together a little guide if there isn't one around here already.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:28:44 pm by MikLSP »

Offline MikLSP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: MkV GT TDI 170 DSG - Blue Graphite [Hella Dark Red Tail Lights]
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2014, 09:38:02 pm »
So I managed to get the Hella tail lights fitted amongst the rain and chasing my daughter around the car, absolutely love them. Do they look a little darker than standard Edition 30 / R32 lights?

Offline Shoy1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 18
Re:
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2014, 11:34:14 pm »
How did you go about switching the rear fog light with the reverse light?

Offline MikLSP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2014, 11:45:33 pm »
I opened the backs and took the two lenses out to swap them over. Unfortunately they are asymmetrical and required some modification to fit in the other side, nothing too difficult but it took longer than I expected. I can post pictures if you're interested.

Also, only after I completed modding them did I think that the lenses from the standard lights would probably fit! It looks like they would but then your old lights would become LHD and harder to sell I guess.

Offline Shoy1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 18
Re:
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2014, 12:16:34 am »
Very interested mate, please post some pics of your modification.

Offline MikLSP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2014, 12:53:54 am »
OK mate, here you go. I have written it up as a little guide for anyone who may be interested  :happy2:

Hella Dark Red Tail Lights LHD to RHD Conversion

Mik

Offline MikLSP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2014, 10:08:48 pm »
A small update for today, these arrived in the post in need of a tidy up but nothing that soapy water, a toothbrush and some autosol couldn't help.

Installing them was surprisingly easy and I spent much longer on the cleaning. Why do so many people break the clips when removing the accelerator, including the guy who sold me these; mine came off without any difficulty or damage.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:10:27 pm by MikLSP »

Offline Dave7692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2014, 09:39:00 am »
As an owner of a Graphite Blue TDI I am really enjoying this thread.

All the subtle mods are really coming together and the car's looking really smart, you've done a few of the things on my list, the lights (front, rear and indicators).  The pedals look really smart too, I've been looking out for a cheap set for my manual as well.

Offline MikLSP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2014, 10:08:02 am »
Cheers Dave  :happy2:

I got these quite cheap with a cheeky ebay bid that came through, perhaps because they were so dirty in the ad or because it was quiet over Easter? Either way, at £34 I'm very happy with them! :wink:

Offline Dave7692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2014, 11:14:41 am »
£34 is an absolute steal, you must have got pretty lucky with that, unless like you said people are that afraid of spending a couple of hours cleaning them before they fit them.

Offline MikLSP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: MkV GT TDI 170 DSG - Blue Graphite [Smoked Mirror Indicators]
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2014, 09:29:19 am »
Finally got around to fitting these smoked indicator lenses to the wing mirrors, replacing my bright silver (and broken) ones.
It wasn't as difficult as I'd been led to believe and some of the guides on various forums are a little over the top, I didn't need to remove the whole mirror adjustment mechanism for example.

I think these are a mod which compliments other aspects of the car more than the actually stand out in their own right, definitely go well with the GTi headlamps and cherry tails.

Also, I am a little disappointed with the fitment of these, they are just not quite the right size and don't sit as flush as the originals; there's a bit of a gap between the wrap around end and the mirror housing for example. Maybe the InPro ones are a better fit than these from Germany?

Offline MikLSP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: MkV GT TDI 170 DSG - Blue Graphite [GTi Side Skirts]
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2014, 12:44:23 am »
So I finally got around to fitting the GTi side skirts I bought a while back and the job was easier than I had expected actually. The hardest part was probably getting the support mounts into the holes under the sills followed by getting the first screws in on my own without scraping the skirts around on the floor.

I have put them on without support rails and so far the adhesive strips seem to be doing a good job along with the 4 screw points, hopefully it'll stay this way.

Very happy with them and a little surprised how subtle they are, despite having seen loads before of course.
Next up are a bit of a marmite item, mud flaps :wink: though I might fit those after the summer

Offline chris-182

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2014, 07:49:45 am »
looks great with the GTI bumper & skirts! Did you get whatever was causing the light on your dash fixed?

Offline MikLSP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2014, 08:36:56 am »
Oh yeah, never updated that here did I; it was the engine wiring harness which, as wiring is excluded from the warranty, cost me £28 for the loom and £313 for VW to fit it! Sorted the problem though so just waiting for them to approve the new turbo now.

They also damaged the car again, after scratching the steering wheel leather previously, this time there's big scratch over the rear arch. Not happy to say the least and I expect it sitting when the car goes back.